This is getting extremely boring, articulett: I am wrong, what I say is invalid, I make ad hominems etc. No matter how many times I and others point out the mistakes in your reasoning, it does not seem to help, but let's go again, and let me start with your questions:
Do you still believe the quote reflects an immaturity?
Yes.
Do you still believe that the author was unaware of the role/i poverty plays in accusing kids of being witches?
No, I never claimed that she was. She must at least have read the
article in the CSM. I claimed that, like you, I suppose, she knew about the role poverty plays, but chooses to
ignore it. These are the first words of my argument:
I am not quite sure, but it appears to me that skeptics sometimes tend to ignore quite obvious truths when looking at reality, something they appear to have in common with Christian Scientists in this case and with many others: ”superstitions (!) breed homeless people”
(A question for you: Is it a coincidence that you use almost the same words and expressions as Sandra L. Hubscher? Is there a particular reason why you are so adamant that Joelblanchette is wrong when he writes that James Randi
“endorsed only the last sentence” and not Hubscher’s
“entire commentary”?)
Do you understand that belief also plays a role?
Never denied it. Why do you pretend that I did? Please read my latest post today Dec. 21, 11.00 a.m. where I
explain the role it plays: Do you understand my explanation? Or would you prefer to go on pretending that I
deny that belief plays a role? Do you think that anybody believes this if only you repeat it often enough?
The interesting thing is not
that religion plays
a role, but
which role it plays.
Do you understand that belief was mentioned in the article because James Randi himself believes that education and critical thinking are a way of addressing the belief component of the problem?
Well, belief was a little more than
mentioned in the article, wasn't it? Do you understand that the title
Time to grow up is not exactly identical with the proposition that
"education and critical thinking are a way of adressing the belief component of the problem"? (
the belief component of the problem, indeed!)
Do you agree that, generally speaking, people are reluctant to blame "beliefs" for any of the problems--even when people say such beliefs are the reason for committing whatever tragic act was committed?
Which people are reluctant? Which
"beliefs" (and why the quotation marks?)? Which problems? And which tragic act was committed?
Could you be a little more specific? Your
"generally speaking" doesn't really help. If you want to say (there is no reason to think that your questions are meant to be serious questions) that it may have occurred at one time or another that beliefs were the motive for committing tragic acts and that some people (of the same faith?) were reluctant to blame these beliefs, then, yes, happens all the time!
Are you happy now?
However, as a very firm unbeliever and a citizen of Denmark I experienced a case earlier this year when a bunch of @$$***** went out of their way to provoke the religious sentiments of a minority group for the sole purpose of forcing them to stand up and be counted either as firm believers in the Danish way of doing things or as potential terrorists. Remember the Cartoon Controversy? From the outset it was meant as an insult, as an affront against the Danish Muslim minority, but for some reason or other a lot of people here celebrated it as a major blow to religion, which it wasn't: The newspaper Jyllands Posten carefully avoided any insult to members of the established church of Denmark.
So my question to you is: Do you think that sometimes some people are far too eager to point to religion as the cause of conflicts that aren't actually religious in nature?
Did you ever consider that the conflict between the two opponents in the civil war in Northern Ireland wasn't really a question of religion, but rather a question of nationalism and distribution of wealth although religion was very often blamed? (And do you remember seeing a cartoon of Jesus with a bomb back then? I don't!)
In other words: Don't try to reduce things to being a simple question of
religion: pro & contra.
Let me try to empathize with you, even though you don't make it easy: You are a biology teacher in a country where knowledge, the scientific truth about life, is ravaged by armies of religious fundamentalists, whereas I sometimes have the opposite problem: students who find evolution so obvious that they often don't even seriously consider how evolution occurs. I have sometimes had to play the devil's advocate to make them realize how ignorant they often are. I've used the Creationist argument that the eye is too complicated to be explained by means of evolutionary theory. At first they tend to say something along the lines of: 'Well, eyes are a very useful thing, so since we need it and it gives seeing creatures an advantage over blind ones, somehow nature comes up with the eye.' - as if the usefulness of a thing would create it. When I insist that they tell me
how and use just a few of the Creationist arguments against them ('half an eye cannot be an advantage' etc.), I often succeed in persuading them that, no, the eye cannot be the result of evolution. (And I can assure you that it is
not the last lesson of the season, but only my way of making them realize that so far they only
imagine that they know about evolution.)
Similarly my students don’t have a problem with condoms. You can buy them everywhere in Denmark, they all know how to use them, and even though a few fundamentalists are probably offended by this, they don’t have a leg to stand on. The only problem with teenage sex in Denmark probably is that in the heat of passion they sometimes forget what they know, but I don’t think that Denmark has as many teenage pregnancies as you do in the USA. (Well, it's probably not the only problem. Not getting it enough used to be the biggest problem, if I remember correctly, but my students don’t confide their troubles in this respect to me, and I wouldn’t want them to!)
But back to my point: I can easily see why you have become so preoccupied with the questions of religious superstition and birth control, the same way I’m preoccupied with …. (See my sig-line!).
However, you should consider that even though knowledge of condoms and how to use them to prevent unwanted pregnancies and STDs is extremely important, it is not a panacea for all the problems in the world. And even (or particularly) in very poor countries poverty plays a decisive role in this question as well: If you have to choose between food or condoms, the choice is rather obvious, isn’t it? (The priests probably won’t distribute them liberally among the orphans! And they don't want to understand that the choice between abstinence and condoms is just as obvious!)
You can debate whether the main cause is poverty or superstition for the kids mentioned in the article, but the answer, no matter which side you are on, is only an opinion--not a sign that someone or other needs to "grow up".
So you, too, object to the title of the article
Time to grow up??!
You've turned a thread meant to provoke into an attack on everyone who disagrees with you--and it all rests on a mistaken premise in the first place.
There’s a big difference between
“everyone”. Go back and read your first entry again and see how the rest of them evolve from there. You appear to be very p***ed off, and in a very didactic manner you insist that it is all a question of family planning and condoms, a theme that seems to preoccupy you in other threads as well. It is very hard to accept as a serious objection to anything written by me or others.
You believe the James Randi quote following the letter writers quote means that "many skeptics need to grow up" because you think the letter shows ignorance to the role poverty plays in the equation. The letter does not reflect that at all. It only shows that belief plays a role and few people even seem to realize it.
I think you should go back and read the letter again. If it had simply claimed that
belief plays a (!)
role, I would not have objected to it. I have already several times explained
the role it plays!
a)
1) In Congo a huge number of people abandon their children.
2) A lot of them claim that the children are witches.
3) Others don't. They may be upset merely because a child breaks a glass, and they may even threaten to put a knife in the child's eye when it asks for something to eat.
4) People in this country are destitute and starving.
5) When people starve they become desperate to the point where they may even sell their children or abandon them.
6) People know that this isn't right, it's something that they do not like to do, so they come up with a lot of stupid excuses.
7) This does not mean that they don't believe in their own excuses.
8) It just means that there is a difference between a reason and an excuse for doing something.
9) It isn't necessary to believe in witches in order to abandon your child.
10) It most likely is necessary to believe in witches when you come up with the excuse that you abandon your children because they are witches.
Conclusion: Superstition is the cause of the excuse. Poverty is the cause of the abandonment.
b)
1) A man has sex with a minor.
2) The man impregnates her.
3) Having sex with a minor is not only wrong, it is also illegal, so the man on trial.
4) People accused of crimes invent excuses, sometimes very silly ones.
5) In this case the man puts the blame on the goblins, for goblin's sake.
Conclusion: Being accused of a crime is the cause the excuse. It is not the cause of the crime, statutory rape.