Oh look, it's another conspiracy theorist.... you and your clique....
Yet another big unintentional irony.Grow up.
Oh look, it's another conspiracy theorist.... you and your clique....
Yet another big unintentional irony.Grow up.
You also seem to have a very wrong idea about what reductionism actually is
I want you to know that's one of the scariest things I can think of.I want you to know that I teach a freshman college class ....
Let me reiterate my position, which has been so ably seconded by articulett. The original discussion that dann so bitterly critiqued concerned the labeling of children as witches in The Congo. Nothing else. No mention was made of, and no discussion was attempted of, underlying social issues or the socioeconomic environment that would lead to said practice.
To me “this type of situation” seems to be the ultimate consequence of poverty, not of “tolerance of dangerous nonsense”. (Not that it isn’t nonsense and thus dangerous!) And I find it truly amazing that skeptics seem to think that the victims of this calamity are not simply the starving children, but primarily the sentiments of skeptics who cannot stand to ”see truth and logic being assaulted.” Is that really all that skeptics have to offer? A much more rational way of starving?
Why is it so hard for many skeptics to notice that poverty and misery breed superstition, an insight which makes it very obvious how to go about fighting superstition if you actually want to do away with it in an efficient manner? Or do they really believe that these children would be so much happier if they were starving without the added insult of being called witches?
Later, dann decides that it's unfair to criticize these people because they are poor and poverty is to blame. Well, that's his/her/its opinion and has nothing to do with the original discussion.
What really slays me is how you and your clique have decided that this is your forum and other people must agree or go read stuff or be charged with creating straw men, etc. Grow up.
you, dann and chumsMonthy Python once had a skit about people stopping their normal work to worry about a water buffalo somewhere that was completely irrelevant to their lives. Seems pretty much like you, dann and chums.
Some more? On top of all the other evidence you have provided us with so far? You cannot be serious!Oh, here's some more evidence that you can use your confirmation bias to negate:
Is it just me or ....? Where exactly is the evidence? Do you realize that children in general are mistreated and abused much too often? And that it doesn't help anybody to spread the myth about the evil stepparents? Do you realize that even the evil stepmothers that you read about in the brothers Grimm's fairytales are the result of a revision of the original text?You do realize that stepchildren are often mistreated, don't you--even in wealthy families?
How do you know if I don't offer any?Your proposed solution (if you offered one) might make some families less likely to toss their kids out,
Yes, that is true. When you starve, you starve ... can't argue with that!but as soon as times got rough, they'd be doing it again-
And you have??!-you haven't given them the tool of reason
It is true! I have given them absolutely nothing, nichts, nada, whereas you offer them the tool of reason, as if it were something edible. Did I say that I had given them anything? The only thing I've offered anybody is arguments!and thus have not provided an actual solution to the problem at all.
Now I'm confused. Aren't you the one that wanted to put him in charge of the orphanages?If your goal is to assure that fewer children are accused of witches, you are free to donate to the priest in the article
Thank you for clarifying that point. Until now I was under the impression that you looked up to me as a beacon of morality and enlightenment. How could I be so wrong?and pretend your rant makes a difference. I already consider my maturity, morality, and priorities superior to yours.
You bet!Moreover, I imagine that everyone you have insulted is probably more charitable than you.
I'm absolutely certain that he is! Did I claim otherwise? However, I don't really think that you do him justice. He would probably take offence at the guru worship you exhibit here.Randi certainly is.
Which correlation? Between poverty and superstition, or between poverty and abandoned children? Or between starvation and the 'tool of reason'?I want you to know that I teach a freshman college class and they spotted the flaw in Dann's reasoning instantly (confusing correlation with causation),
You do indeed seem to have learned a lot from the way woowoos think and argue. Your argument in this case, for instance, is exactly the same way the Danish business astrologer argues: I talked to one of my clients today, and she confirmed me in my view that you skeptics are dead wrong!'I just cannot believe that you have actually shown this thread to your students.and I thank Randi and his videos for that. Moreover, they understand that this thinking is at the root of all superstitions. So you have raised awareness, but not in the way you had hoped.
This attitude is not unlike the one that you find in children of psychopathic parents, I think, and sometimes in battered wives: 'I have to study his (or her) every move and mood in order to know what he is going to do next. Since I'm completely in his/her power, I need to know this in order to protect myself, in order to take precautions.' The reasonable thing to do would be to liberate yourself from depending on somebody who is not to be trusted, but very often this task seems to be insurmountable, so you acquiesce.It's important to look at not only his actions that have a direct and obvious effect, but actions which could be a precursor to future actions. If George Bush believes that a war against the middle east is necessary to begin armeggedon etc then I want to know.
PS
This attitude is not unlike the one that you find in children of psychopathic parents, I think, and sometimes in battered wives: 'I have to study his (or her) every move and mood in order to know what he is going to do next. Since I'm completely in his/her power, I need to know this in order to protect myself, in order to take precautions.' The reasonable thing to do would be to liberate yourself from depending on somebody who is not to be trusted, but very often this task seems to be insurmountable, so you acquiesce.
Isn't it high time to take control of our lives and living conditions, instead of delegating the power, which we would otherwise have, to so-called 'representatives', the deciders?
And isn't it time skeptics in particular to grow up and move beyond smug complacency when dealing with superstition? If it is true that the superstitious not only want to, but actually need to believe, like James Randi always says, isn't it about time to move beyond this realization to the question: Why do they need to believe?
The abject poverty, the best guarantee that the uneducated, superstitious masses remain superstitious, just doesn't seem to concern the Shermers of this world.
And why should it? They seem to not only want to, but to actually need to despair at the woowoos that just won’t listen to the brights, which is why they don’t appear to find it very hard to tolerate poverty and hunger, but won’t tolerate dangerous nonsense. Remember, we are not merely talking about abandoned, starving children (and starving adults, for that matter), it is much, much worse than that: They are actually being denied ”the tool of reason”, and if there is one thing we can’t stand it’s when “we see truth and logic being assaulted”
I would, fairly elected or not. If you mean fairly elected in the sense that all democratic procedures were followed, then, yes, our prime minister was fairly elected. And so was Bush, undisputed the second time, I think. The weird thing about democracy (or rule by the people as the translation of the Danish word folkestyre would be) is that it liberates the elected leaders to take any considerations to the wishes of the people, whether or not they elected them, and are able to declare war on another country without having to ask anybody but their own conscience, so whether you voted for the present government or not, you've left it up to them to decide. People are being ruled. I would definitely want those who disagree with that politic to put a stop to it - whether they voted for the guy in charge or not, but any opposition to aggressive politics is met with: You voted for the guy and now he's in charge of the decisions, and for the next four years you are free to express yourself as long as you remain aware that what you express is only an opinion. And if you didn't vote, well, you are to blame anyway, and for the next four years you have left it to the deciders to decide, and in the meantime you may consider voting for somebody else the next time.Oh but I don't want to 'liberate myself' from such people. I do believe in your / our democratic systems and while I may be unhappy with the current person in charge, I don't want to go about 'liberating' myself. The reason being that 1) I wouldn't want those who disagree with my fairly elected official to 'liberate' themselves from them,
When you talk about 'might is right' being further accentuated, it seems to imply your awareness of the fact that might is indeed already right, i.e. that democracy is a way of liberating the might from being influenced by the will of the people. By voting they give up any claim to the might they would have if they were willing to use it: democratic procedures: elections, legislature, government2) Such undiplomatic (in the sense that it's done as a compromise cannot be reached) rebellion leads to a situation where 'might is right' is further accentuated,
That would be my argument against the present state of affairs! (Depending on who "you" are, of course!)and 3) I don't think we benefit in the short or long run.
Well, Orwell’s pastiche of Stalinism did not exactly describe a society ripped of deciders, on the contrary: One had been replaced by another, the farmer by the pigs, the zar by Lenin, Stalin, etc. etc.You don't think such 'deciders' would emerge in a society ripped of the former? [Insert Animal Farm reference].
In poverty and in the lack of control of their own lives! The accents have changed, but 'mankind' still hasn't liberated itself from the ups and downs of life. In the past we were completely dependent on the changeableness of nature, a situation, which does not really agree with intelligence and therefore gives rise to superstition: When you are utterly and completely dependent on the weather, sufficient prey etc., you make up lies to yourself and others in order to at least imagine that you are in control of things. You may not control the weather, but by performing the right rituals, you may be able to appease the powers that do. If you make a sacrifice to the god(dess) of deer, you may be able to put him/her in a favourable mood and send more prey your way. This is not simply a question of education. A stone-age man wouldn't be able to do much (or anything) with all the knowledge of modern meteorology, would he?I do think we should look into why some people are so reliant on superstition, do you think you've got the answer in poverty?
I don't???So you don't think there's superstitious masses in the US/GB/Aus/ etc ?
Making sure that they had a decent living and were in control of at least the vital necessities, yes, I think it would, actually. In our countries it takes a little more than food to live, by the way, and giving anybody anything is not exactly the rule. Well, very poor people may receive a food basket from the Salvation Army for Christmas, but I don't think that's enough to make people feel that their existence has been secured. (And I guess the Salvation Army would not be very disappointed if their charity work resulted in people giving up religion, but that's beside the point ...)While I think poverty is a factor, do you imagine that giving these people food for 200 years they'd abandon their superstitions?
"etc." might be more important than education. Why do you think that superstition abounds in times of distress? Because the level of education suddenly drops? This is a point that Randi already referred to in this week's newsletter: "As expected during times of stress (...) the public was turning to to the supernatural for information, ..."Yep they'd definitely have a better chance with some education etc.
I think that this question has been answered above!Are you simply asking for skeptics to push for this more?
Should I have made it more obvious that I was being sarcastic???Yep they'd definitely have a better chance with some education etc. Are you simply asking for skeptics to push for this more?And why should it? They seem to not only want to, but to actually need to despair at the woowoos that just won’t listen to the brights, which is why they don’t appear to find it very hard to tolerate poverty and hunger, but won’t tolerate dangerous nonsense. Remember, we are not merely talking about abandoned, starving children (and starving adults, for that matter), it is much, much worse than that: They are actually being denied ”the tool of reason”, and if there is one thing we can’t stand it’s when “we see truth and logic being assaulted”
I know that nobody listens to me, I'm just a nobody with a few arguments, but why don't they at least listen to Randi in this case, for the Skeptics' Heaven's sake?
Apparently skeptics do indeed have this knowledge of the ways of the world, they just tend to ignore it - in particular when they are talking about the childish, uneducated primitives who won't grow up, and not about a noble people like the white Britons in dire times of distress!
Come on, James Randi, why don't you correct yourself on this one?!
Cuba is the only third-world country I've been to,...
You really do need a reality enema, dann! I've been to at least ten times as many as you have. As a matter of fact, I've lived in the poorest country in the Wester Hemisphere. (I betcha you can't even name it!) The people there are not superstitious because they're poor. They are uneducated (ignorant).Skeptics ignore obvious truths when looking at reality.
Poverty is the root cause of these children's homelessness, not superstition
Skeptics don't get upset with the problem until they hear of the superstition.
Skeptics need to grow up.
P.S.--thanks and welcome Chadd and slimething. There really are some great people on this forum. And then there are those who just seem to think they are great and that we should be eager for their "wisdom"-- In my experience these types are few and far between...if nothing else, their irony will amuse.
Ok, that makes a bit more sense now. I guess the problem was that Randi quoted the entire commentary from one reader about the article and his only comment was that he agreed whole-heartedly. I believe he endorsed only the last sentence.
No, they weren't poor, but they certainly weren't uneducated either. The pope isn't poor either, nor is Bush, nor is Blair, nor were the Reagans. Never denied it. And in the case of the rich or even the very rich, who, unlike the poor, actually benefit from religion, you should consider the many popes who fathered children and tended to have a very extravagant lifestyle! I wouldn't say that they didn't have religion, though, only that this is a very different religion from the kind where you have given up on finding a solution to your problems in this world and therefore only look for the meaning of life beyond reality.Poverty does not cause superstition. Ignorance does. The upper classes that administered the dicta of the Maleus Mallificarum in the Middle Ages were not poor, merely ignorant.
There is no reason to wonder where it "came from". The context makes it very clear: In the article Time to grow up, where two very different kinds of religious superstition (not exactly on oxymoron, I know) are bundled together, although, as far I can see, the only criterion for doing so is that they are both from Africa, the title says it all. The article about superstition in London Rehabilitation of a witch, however, points out that this is the kind of behaviour that can be expected in times of stress. Why not emphasize this point when you are dealing with starving Africans? It was even mentioned in the article in the CSM that the conditions at least to some extent were caused by war.Where the hell did this come from? You sure read a lot into the statements in the newsletter. Kindly quote evidence for this condemnation.Apparently skeptics do indeed have this knowledge of the ways of the world, they just tend to ignore it - in particular when they are talking about the childish, uneducated primitives who won't grow up, and not about a noble people like the white Britons in dire times of distress!
No!Maybe because he never said anything like what you're railing on about? Would that be an acceptable explanation to you?Come on, James Randi, why don't you correct yourself on this one?!
Wow! That is certainly convincing! Then that means, give me time to draw the conclusion .... that everything you say must be true! Did I at least get this one right? Or is this simply another competition: I've been to more poor countries that you, niah, niah!!So you get on your high horse because you've been to one poor country?You really do need a reality enema, dann! I've been to at least ten times as many as you have.
OK, it is a competition, then! How many guesses do I get?As a matter of fact, I've lived in the poorest country in the Wester Hemisphere. (I betcha you can't even name it!)
This is actually your whole argument??? OK, you have totally convinced me. If you say so, that must be the case: They are ignorant and uneducated and therefore superstitious. They just happen to live in the poorest country in the hemisphere! Well, the Cubans aren't uneducated and ignorant, but still superstitious.The people there are not superstitious because they're poor. They are uneducated (ignorant).
I don't think I said anything about condemnation, did I?To my recollection, neither Randi nor the person who wrote to him about the current practice of labeling kids witches condemned these people.
I also condemn skeptics?They condemned the practice. You, on the other hand, condemn skeptics because they don't say "Hey, wait a minute! It's not fair to condemn this practice because these people are poor!"
OK, I acknowledge defeat!!! Whenever I disagree with you from now on, it is self-evident that I am wrong and you are right. I am inferior to you, the master, who has visited at least ten times as many, including the poorest country in the hemisphere!And, this, after visiting ONE third-world country!
Now I'm also simple and a martyr? Or at least posing as one? Interesting conclusion ....Simple things for simple people, I guess. Keep up your martyrdom, dann. Followed to its normal endpoint, it will rid us of your tiresome point of view.
Let us look at this in context, right?There are some very good examples of common mistakes in reasoning people make on this thread.
For instance, Dann writes: "So we should expect a wave of people in the USA right now accusing their children and other people of being witches, right?"
This takes the statement "All people who accuse their kids of being witches, have a belief in witches" and presumes the opposite is true: "All people who believe in witches, accuse their kids of being witches." Both statements have the same words, but the latter is a false conclusion from the former. In the same way "most violent people are men" does not mean "most men are violent people." This is a common error in logic. Dann seems to make these errors and other misleading conclusions from peoples' statements.
For logic's sake, why don't you at least quote the whole argument? Is it because you, like John Cleese's professional logician, aren't interested at all, but only want to present yourself as somebody who is superior to the rest of the world ... but actually just doesn't get it?articulett said:If increasing poverty made any other group of people in history turn accuse their kids of being witches, you might have a case. What we know about witch burnings is that the bible tells you to kill witches and accusing people of being witches was fairly common until the 1600s--because of a single biblical passage. Accusing people of being witches is a religious thing. You have to believe in witches.dann said:So we should expect a wave of people in the USA right now accusing their children and other people of being witches, right?
It is true that in general you have to believe in witches in order to persuade yourself that somebody is one. What you apparently don't get is that this accusation is not really necessary to abandon your children.
I don't want to spoil your giddy delight, although it may have been the reason for your earlier, rather incoherent contributions to this discussion, but I don't think that anybody, at least not here, wouldn't want the starving African children to learn about logical fallacies.I'm actually giddily delighted that Randi has been a factor in my understanding of logical fallacies. I would love the African children to have a chance to learn that as well. I have no doubts that he supports the entire quotation in the newsletter, but I think it's a confusion about what was said and what was meant that made the original poster think the quote was "immature", or "missing the obvious", etc. I don't think anything was missing; I think Dann's posts show very clearly how readily people ignore or give deference to certain types of superstitions (usually religious based) almost as if they've deliberately taught themselves to refuse to notice them. It's similar to Dennetts concept of "belief in belief".
Strawman, strawman, strawman! Who the hell is being silent about anything here? Or is that not the point of your "Many people ....." conclusion?Being silent on the subject [of harmful superstition and religion. dann] allows harms caused by beliefs to continue.
Look, who's talking! You're Masklin, aren't you? Sorry, I didn't recognize you with your new ...... name! Have you been to a numerologist in the meantime?Oh god. Now you're really going to feed the Conspiracy Theory affecting us.