R. Mackey, I liked you analysis of the Star Wars death weapon,but I would like to point out that high voltages are commnoly used in space vehicle applications. It is true that most satellites run at a bus voltage of around 100V or less but the travelling-wave tube used in communication satellites needs a couple of kV to operate.
Correct, I was mainly talking about main bus voltage. There are localized high-power systems in some spacecraft, although since we're talking about a million amps of current here, our situation is not "localized." Our capacitors, which would be the largest non-chemical and non-nuclear storage system ever flown, are by definition part of the main power bus.
High voltage is common in instruments and some communications or radar gear, at a few tens or hundreds of Watts. The highest-power high voltage system I'm aware of is in
ion drive propulsion at a few kilowatts. There could be others, but that's the biggest one I know. (Well, there's the megawatt-class
VASIMIR, but it hasn't flown, and they haven't solved their powerbus problem either.)
Another thing to keep in mind is that if the spacecraft bus is "low" voltage, but the operating voltage is higher, we need a power converter. That means even more efficiency losses, making our spacecraft even less practical.
Also, I'm not sure what kind of capacitors you used in your analysis. The
Maxwell ultracapacitors are good 13,587 W/kg, which gives a mass of only 44 tons to produce 1.2E9 watts of power.
That agrees pretty well with my lower estimate of 10 tons of capacitors. I picked the highest density I could find in boutique audio applications for my estimate, a field where people are willing to pay top dollar for insane capacitance even though they really don't need it...
You also left out the possibility of using a
flywheel energy storage system. I don't have enough information to calculate a size for the flywheel but it will still be very heavy.
I'd be highly surprised if any flywheel exists with the energy or efficiency to compete with the explosive compression generator. Really, they're the same system, except the explosive generator uses a bomb to create motion in the coils, where the flywheel uses inertia. The bomb will be inherently safer, more stable, lighter, and easier to point (gyroscopic effects!) than any flywheel. Anyway, nobody I work with takes flywheels seriously for now, but it could be a useful technology someday.
All things considered, the explosive compression generator solution isn't too bad, worked out much better than I would have thought. Except that it'll require a beam weapon that fires in
extremely short pulses. That might not be an impossible roadblock, although the whole mission concept is still pretty inefficient.
I did like your point about the visibility of the flash. I've seen a small welding laser in action and unsurprisingly, you need to wear welding glasses to look at it. A Death Beam weapon would have produced an incredibly intense and blinding flash when it vaporized an entire building but of course, no such flash is visible in the many videos of the collapse.
Yup. Also, the losses to atmosphere would be pretty severe. I neglected those to make the exercise remotely possible.