• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Gospel

You're obviously talking about American society. I wasn't, in particular. But have a look who are the most impoverished in your society.

Actually I don't think he was, as this was not a political discussion, but you seem to have a real bee up your ass about the US don't you?

And environmental awareness? Awareness, yes. Solutions? No way! Religious tolerance? I'll leave that to the religions. Abolition of slavery? What a joke! You've just changed the terminology. Think "working poor." There are probably more people enslaved today than ever before.

Where do you get this hype? The commie manifesto? Have you any concept of rational debate without your mouth exploding in every which direction?

IMO America used to be a world leader in genuine liberation, but it seems to have lost its way.

Used to be? That's your opinion in your lifetime, or have you been reading books from Putin's youth?

Unfortunately, my country, Australia, is in lockstep with America.

Socially and culturally, or politically speaking?

It seems today only a few European countries actually practice a genuine Christianity by ensuring that none of their people are left behind.

Coy about naming them are you? There are quite a few countries in Europe.
:Aside: It's funny how there are one or two of your fellow countrymen who have very similar styles in debate, if you can call it that. The principle seems to be to bitch and groan with as many vague generalities as possible.
 
As a christian, I have been struggling lately with an unsolvable conundrum.
Maybe kathy can help.
People suffer. Children suffer. Either 1. God is not all powerful and cannot alleviate this or
2. God can, but chooses not so, for some unfathomable reason. He then canNOT be a God of love, as a father, or god, would, if He was able, releive the suffering of those he loves.

I am leaning towards 1., as I don't want to think He just doesn't care enough to help.
Can you tell I'm going through hard times?
Hi psy kick, I'm sorry you are going through some tough times. I hope that you will find God's comfort somehow through it all. I often have these questions too. It doesn't always seem fair when people suffer. But we need to remember God is ultimately in control.

We may not see the blessing in the middle of a storm, but it is there. I have just tried to learn to accept that in this life we will have trouble, but God is faithful.

If God cares more about our character than our comfort then possibly there's an end result from some of the things we go through? It took me a very long to finally realize that my life wasn't suppose to be all about me and what I wanted. I had to learn to go beyond the pain to see what God was telling me.
As I learn to trust and obey I see lots of things turning around now. Not that I don't have things to deal with, it's just as if now my burden is lighter and I am finding that peace that surpasses all understanding.

I know sometimes when we struggle and are waiting for an answer to prayer it can sometimes seem to take forever, but don't give up. God is there and He does truely care!
 
Last edited:
kurious_kathy
Have you gone back and looked up the messianic prophecies yet?
It doesn't always seem fair when people suffer. But we need to remember God is ultimately in control.
Yep, god is responsible for all the bad stuff. Gee this just popped into my head.


All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.
Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom.
He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid--
Who made the spikey urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did!

All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.

Amen.

By Monty Python


Ossai
 
I find it interesting that none of these "astounded" Jewish leaders found the time to write anything about the amazing Jesus. We have historical records about a variety of issues written back in the time of Jesus, but NOT one mention of this amazing miracle worker who astounded all those around him and had thousands following him everywhere.
Do any of the Fundy's have a rational explaination for this?

Seems none of the Fundy's have an answer. Surprise, Surprise!!!
 
It doesn't always seem fair when people suffer. But we need to remember God is ultimately in control.

We may not see the blessing in the middle of a storm, but it is there. I have just tried to learn to accept that in this life we will have trouble, but God is faithful.

If God cares more about our character than our comfort then possibly there's an end result from some of the things we go through? It took me a very long to finally realize that my life wasn't suppose to be all about me and what I wanted.

It's still all about you, though. Your character growth, your salvation, your reward. God and the universe are all focussed on you, and the people in your life are all just extras in your little faith-finding drama, only existing to teach you Important Life Lessons or test your faith or whatever.

What do you think of the story of Job? Do you think it was fair for God to kill Job's family just to test his faith?
 
What do you think of the story of Job? Do you think it was fair for God to kill Job's family just to test his faith?
Job is one everyone questions. I have often pondered what happened to Job. God was after something with Job. He was considered a righteous man, but self-righteousness is something we all need to come to terms with. Our righteousness is as filthy rags. It's only Christ in us that give us righteousness.

Once we get to that point we realize it's not about us trying to earn our way into heaven, none of us can. It's by grace that we are saved through faith!

And back to Job's story, God restored everything in the end. Yes he went through much pain and lost things without really knowing why. And even though he questioned God, he never cursed God and in the end he was blessed for his faith in God.

I think Job can be a good example for us not to lose faith, even when we can't understand some of the most painful, ugly things that happen.
 
Last edited:
And back to Job's story, God restored everything in the end.

Well sure, Job got a new wife and kids.

Shame the old ones are still dead but then it was all about Job.
 
Job is one everyone questions. I have often pondered what happened to Job. God was after something with Job. He was considered a righteous man, but self-righteousness is something we all need to come to terms with. Our righteousness is as filthy rags. It's only Christ in us that give us righteousness.

Once we get to that point we realize it's not about us trying to earn our way into heaven, none of us can. It's by grace that we are saved through faith!

And back to Job's story, God restored everything in the end. Yes he went through much pain and lost things without really knowing why. And even though he questioned God, he never cursed God and in the end he was blessed for his faith in God.

I think Job can be a good example for us not to lose faith, even when we can't understand some of the most painful, ugly things that happen.

If this is the god you believe in, no wonder people find you and your faith offensive.

Rapist? Mass murderer? General ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊? Doesn't matter if Kathy's god wants you to be saved. Up to heaven you go.

Philanthropist? Life saver? General nice person? Doesn't matter if Kathy's god DOESN'T want you to be saved. Down to hell you go.
 
Job is one everyone questions. I have often pondered what happened to Job. God was after something with Job. He was considered a righteous man, but self-righteousness is something we all need to come to terms with. Our righteousness is as filthy rags. It's only Christ in us that give us righteousness.

What an idiotic leap of non-logic. You somehow changed righteous to self-righteous without an iota of explanation or evidence and then treat it like you somehow have a fact at the end.
 
Once we get to that point we realize it's not about us trying to earn our way into heaven, none of us can. It's by grace that we are saved through faith!
This is the point that I cannot, no matter how hard I try, get past. If your god is such a great dude, why does he not give a crap how we act or what we do as long as we kiss his butt? "It's not about acts, it's about faith." He only cares if we worship him, not if we behave properly. We can be the nicest, most caring and charitable person on Earth, but if we don't bow down to his greatness, we can, quite literally, go to hell as far as he's concerned. What a jerk!
 
The REAL victim of the story of Job was Job's unnamed wife, who not only lost all her children and her home, but now must squeeze out a dozen more children (with all the health risks involved).
 
Good for you, but I note that there were many posts between your first and this one, irreverent or not, but all you do is talk to yourself. perhaps you are blinded by the light? (how does that song go?)

(Wow, I see I my post jumps from page 1 to 62 at warp speed. Time really is an illusion on this forum)
It's "Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann, written by B. Springfield (1976)

Blinded by the Light

[Chorus]: Blinded by the light
revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night (fading)

Madman dummers bummers,
Indians in the summer,
With a teenager diplomat
And the dumps with the mumps
As the adolescent pumps his way into his hat

With a boulder my shoulder,
feeling kinda older,
I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasin', sneezin' and wheezin,
the calliope crashed to the ground
(pickup)
the calliope crashed to the ground

(chorus)

Some silicon sister with a manager mister
told me I go what it takes.
I'll run you on sonny to something strong
play the song with the funky break

And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the
weather charts see if it was safe outside
And little Early Burly came by in his curly wurly
and asked me if i needed a ride
(pickup)
asked me if i needed a ride


(chorus)

Bridge: She got down but she never got tired
She's gonna make it to the night
She's gonna make it through the night


(break with soul-stirring solo)

Oh momma that's where the fun is
But momma that's where the fun is
Momma always told me not to look
in the eye's on the sun
But momma that's where the fun is

(chop sticks variation)

So brimstone-baritone, anti-cyclone Rolling Stone
Preacher from the East,
says dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in it's funny bone
thats what they expect at least

It's a new grown chaperon standing in the corner
watching the young girls dance
and some fresh sown moonstone messing with his frozen zone,
only reminding him of romance
(pickup)
and the calliope crashed to the ground

(Chorus)

(Chorus and First Verse)

Now Scott with the sling-shot finally found a tender spot
and throws his lover in the sand
and some blood-shot forget-me-not
said Daddy's within earshot, save the buck-shot, turn up the band

(repeat Verse 2 "Silicon sister with a manager....")
(bridge)
 
This is the point that I cannot, no matter how hard I try, get past. If your god is such a great dude, why does he not give a crap how we act or what we do as long as we kiss his butt? "It's not about acts, it's about faith." He only cares if we worship him, not if we behave properly. We can be the nicest, most caring and charitable person on Earth, but if we don't bow down to his greatness, we can, quite literally, go to hell as far as he's concerned. What a jerk!

Sounds to me like you have become hostile towards God. Why? He cares about the condition of our hearts more than anything. If you can't see that I don't know what to say to you.
I spent way too many years myself blaming God for everything that went wrong in my life. What I know now is it was my sin and rebellion that caused my greif. I finally broke and new I needed to believe and trust in Him. I pray wolfgirl that God will turn you around like He did me!
 
It's still all about you, though. Your character growth, your salvation, your reward. God and the universe are all focussed on you ...
It's the essential element of religion that it makes us central to existence. kurious_kathy is at one extreme of the religious spectrum (among others), Buddhists at the other where "us" includes all living creatures. I'm glad I can lie on a hillside on a clear, starry night and happily accept that it's not all there for me. I'm so glad I'm not kurious_kathy.

What do you think of the story of Job?
It was about settling a bet. Pure and simple. Satan bet God 30 pieces of silver that Job would give him up if the screws were turned hard enough. God won, as I recall.
 
I spent way too many years myself blaming God for everything that went wrong in my life.
There's your problem in a nutshell, thinking there was a god in the first place. Maybe if you'd taken personal responsibility for your life experiences they'd have been less harmful. Blaming failure on deities, or curses, or a Jewish conspiracy or whatever diverts people from rational appraisal of their own behaviour.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom