• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Inflation

Here in a coffee-growing part of Colombia a local dark roast retail price is just under $13 USD for half a kilo. Excellent coffee (100% Arábica) is grown here, it's everywhere.

The USD has declined about 25% against the Colombian peso since January of 2025 thanks to the carry trade the Colombian currency has been experiencing. January of 2025 that same half a kilo would have cost approx $9.50 USD retail here.
Do you know what your prices were around COVID and the preceding years? I only noticed this coffee in particular because I buy the coffee and like to catch a sale, and the spiking was obnoxious and way out of synch with other inflated prices, but no explanation for this one (ie: like the egg price spiking had bird flu as a sound justification).
 
i don't think any of that is normal, it's the explanation for the out of synch inflation
On and off trade wars are a very very normal thing in any economy. Severe weather is affecting the whole planet. But the retail of other products haven't tripled and stayed there. That's out of synch, and no clear explanation.

I mean Jesus christ man, wars impact gas prices radically less than this. Gas goes up. It doesn't triple in cost in the time frame I am talking about. Pretty much nothing else goes up that fast.
 
Which is the normal stuff that affects the price in normal ways. Retail tripling across 5 years is out of synch.
What, do you think you are in a normal country?
Do you know what your prices were around COVID and the preceding years? I only noticed this coffee in particular because I buy the coffee and like to catch a sale, and the spiking was obnoxious and way out of synch with other inflated prices, but no explanation for this one (ie: like the egg price spiking had bird flu as a sound justification).
Wasn't here during COVID.

Coffee I just brewed this morning is called a café acaramelado, with prominent caramel notes along with a naturally sweet, buttery, and toasty aroma. Or down on the street is a little café where you can get a super nice capuchino for just over two USD.

thumbnail (47).jpeg

Colombian friend of mine has three hectares of coffee growing on his place outside town, they are starting the main harvest right now after some really nice rainfall lately. Every cherry is hand picked.
 
Last edited:
What, do you think you are in a normal country?
Well, normalcy aside, we usually get pretty good prices on stuff, dollar for dollar.
Wasn't here during COVID.

Coffee I just brewed this morning is called a café acaramelado, with prominent caramel notes along with a naturally sweet, buttery, and toasty aroma. Or down on the street is a little café where you can get a super nice capuchino for just over two USD.

View attachment 76765

Colombian friend of mine has three hectares of coffee growing on his place outside town, they are starting the main harvest right now after some really nice rainfall lately. Every cherry is hand picked.
Must be pretty awesome to have world class coffee on every street corner. I always loved the smoothness of Columbian, but am partial to roasts that taste like they were salvaged from an electrical fire.

The stuff I'm comparing with is the generic store brand, though, not the good stuff (it was cheap, and light years better than Maxwell House and the like, so very suitable for everyday brew).Best I ever had was a French espresso at some nondescript little breakfast Cafe at Mt St Michel. Just otherworldly.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom