arthwollipot
Limerick Purist Pronouns: He/Him
All sorts of circumstances. Sometimes even in your presence.I'm perfectly aware how to construct such a sentence, but in what circumstances would you be saying this?
Alice, Bob and Carol are having a drink. Alice fancies Carol but is shy and hasn't spoken to her. Bob says "Alice is having a party next week, and she'd really like you to come." Alice blushes.
You say this as though remembering someone's pronoun is a burden. It isn't. I can assure you, it isn't. If you can remember someone's birthday, you can remember their pronoun. You don't need to remember everyone's birthday, but you remember the ones that matter to you. And in 90% of cases, if you just make a guess based on obvious physical characteristics, you'll be right. The important thing is when someone politely corrects you, politely acknowledge the correction and move on.That's why I said before that asking me to remember their made up pronouns is just unreasonable, when they're not important for me to remember their names. I'll humour someone by calling him a "her" or viceversa if they look or dress that way, but otherwise, bugger me sideways if I'm gonna even bother remembering who's a "they/them" or "fae/faer" or "shi/hir" or what. Put on a furry mask if you want me to remember you're a "shi/hir", since I've only seen it used by trans furries before the current pronoun madness. Or put on some pointy ears if you're a fae, as a visual cue.
And as I have said previously, several times, a vanishingly small number of people use bespoke pronouns. They've just never caught on.
I ask you to stop at a red light. Do you do it? I ask you to pick up your trash. I ask you to stop hitting on me at the bar. Do you do it? I ask you to use he/him when referring to me. Do you do it?People can ask me to do anything. The things that I actually do are my choices. Their choice doesn't trump mine.
Yes. It's just a way to showingly make a point. We all know what that point is but she flaunts it anyway.All of which is fine. She wishes her entitlement to be rude to override others requesting her to be polite. But she doesn't get to play victim over it. It's theatrics.
But I'll bet there are people in your life whose names you do remember. Probably their birthdays and maybe even their taste in beer. Nobody's asking you to be perfect all the time with every casual encounter.The issue is not telling him, "no, you're a he." The vast majority wouldn't even bother. But you don't use those pronouns when talking TO someone, you just say "you." The issue is whether I can be bothered to remember his preferred pronouns a week later when talking to someone else, without him even being present. And for most people, I can't even be bothered to remember their NAMES. They're just that unimportant to me. Demanding that I remember their made up pronouns is just ridiculous. I have 99 problems on my mind, and their made up pronouns are not one of them. Even whether I buy that farm upgrade in a game in the evening ranks higher.
Again, we're not talking about strangers. Would you remember your sister's name after marriage? I think you would.You're making a big assumption if you think that I give a flip about remembering some stranger's name before or after marriage.
For example, there are now several examples in this thread where we have referred to Emily's Cat by the correct pronoun - she/her. Which puts the lie to the idea that it never happens.Right but this is a forum where members are referred to in the third person, because sometimes they will be involved in the exchange in real time, and sometimes not, but they will absolutely be directly exposed to the pronouns used to describe them.
I completely disagree, and for this reason:What counts are rude, what counts as polite, and why? That's not universal. I consider it rude to try to make people use your preferred pronouns. The purpose of pronouns is for the convenience of the speaker and the listener, not the subject.
There are people for whom pronouns aren't important. They just don't care how others refer to them. Whatever. They don't care, I don't care. We're not talking about them. Do what you like.
But there are people for whom pronouns are very important. There are people for whom the correct pronouns are intimately tied to their gender identity. And yes, I'm talking about trans and nonbinary people. For them, using the wrong pronoun is transphobic and bigoted. It's part of the stigmatisation of transgender people and it contributes to mental health harm. I know people who are in this boat. They are my friends and I love them.
That's why I think pronouns are important.