Thermal
August Member
Still like to get the horrifically guilty out of the gene pool, though.It's 260 years since Lord Blackstone said: "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Still true.
Still like to get the horrifically guilty out of the gene pool, though.It's 260 years since Lord Blackstone said: "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Still true.
Yeah, supposedly the botched rate is something like 3%. Not sure how they would ensure 100% effectiveness short of throwing you in a vat of acid so you dissolve instantly...which just highlights one of the fundamental problems with the penalty.Hmmm.. didn't this come up in another botched execution, a long time ago? The judge ruled that the sentence was 'death by electrocution, but the ruling didn't specify how many cracks the State got, so they just did it again?
Although yeah, seems like cruel and unusual kicks in there somewhere, and the State has struck out.
I haven't been following her condition- is she conscious or anything?
Still like to get the horrifically guilty out of the gene pool, though.
Ya and the ones that carve pentagrams on other girls that they think are looking at their boyfriends before smashing their skulls with a rock are preeeeeeeety much on everyone's evil side.Darat used to have a Solzhenitsyn quote on his sig.
"The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either—but right through every human heart—and through all human hearts."
That line isn't necessarily straight. It's a bit like terrorists - one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
As of about an hour ago, she is still alive, but that might change.Hmmm.. didn't this come up in another botched execution, a long time ago? The judge ruled that the sentence was 'death by electrocution, but the ruling didn't specify how many cracks the State got, so they just did it again?
Although yeah, seems like cruel and unusual kicks in there somewhere, and the State has struck out.
I haven't been following her condition- is she conscious or anything?
Fri, October 2, 2026 at 5:51 PM EDT
Tennessee death row inmate Christa Pike was unconscious, intubated and on a ventilator on Thursday night, after authorities failed to execute her by lethal injection, her lawyers say in court filings.
Pike, 50, was injected with two lethal doses of pentobarbital on Wednesday but remained alive. She was then sent to hospital in an ambulance.
Pike remained critically ill and was being treated at a Nashville-area hospital.
"Pike, 50, was injected with two lethal doses of pentobarbital but remained alive. " Seems somewhat contradictory.As of about an hour ago, she is still alive, but that might change.
The article reports her condition as of Thursday night, but it is dated today (I posted the date and time) so apparently this has not changed.
![]()
US murderer Christa Pike unconscious and on ventilator after failed execution, lawyers say
As of Thursday night, Pike remained critically ill and is being treated at a hospital in Nashville, Tennessee.www.yahoo.com
We euthanise a rabid dog so that it doesn't suffer and die in pain and torment. Not the same thing.But if they lack agency, are they even human, in any practical sense? We don't euthanize a rabid dog because we want to hold it accountable, after all.
It's one thing to have an inner voice. It's quite another to act on it. But your experience is not universal. I have never thought, on any level, that any human being deserves to die.It's a funny thing. I am rationally and logically firmly in the camp of no capital punishment. But there is this primitive little guy in the back of my mind that, every once in a while when hearing of a particularly heinous crime, yells out "That person deserves to die!"
I'm envious...you must be in a charmed life free of evil people. Either that or be a Vulcan.It's one thing to have an inner voice. It's quite another to act on it. But your experience is not universal. I have never thought, on any level, that any human being deserves to die.
Apparently not.likely we all feel that way sometimes.
Not really. It's just I'm more of a human rights absolutist. Even evil people have the right to life. Also, I don't think I have it in me to hate anyone that much. But then again, I've never had anyone close to me brutally murdered. I might change if that ever happens, who knows?I'm envious...you must be in a charmed life free of evil people. Either that or be a Vulcan.
They should be required to do it themselves. But again, I'm pretty sure there would be volunteers.This pretty much closes the book on amateur judicial executions performed by local petty tyrants. From now on if a judge wants someone killed they should have to hire a professional hit man like the rest of us.
She did commit murder. I'm okay with giving the state more do-overs.I'm calling her the winner on this round. Now it's her turn (or her second's) to kill the State. She gets two tries too.
As a former military man, I'd take a firing squad myself. Not sure if that's still on the books here in war, but it's a proper soldier's way to qualify for Valhalla. (And as a bonus, it gives a whole squad PTSD
You're hardly alone. Cruelty is contagious. A cruel villain makes us feel cruel, and his villainy stirs a rotten zestIt's a funny thing. I am rationally and logically firmly in the camp of no capital punishment. But there is this primitive little guy in the back of my mind that, every once in a while when hearing of a particularly heinous crime, yells out "That person deserves to die!"
Has God weighed in? He has saved her once. Why should mere man try again?
too bad that being incarcerated for violent crimes seems to be a kind of aphrodisiac.Still like to get the horrifically guilty out of the gene pool, though.