• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Weaponized peer-pressure

While I still don't know what the OP is talking about (because he didn't talk about it, but mindlessly linked to a faceybooky post),
I disagree. Perhaps I failed to make myself clear in the OP but the fact that you didn't view the supplied link is
the true reason you still don't know the OP is talking about. Your failure to take the smallest efforts to view that link
is your prerogative but you could have simply asked a peer that is a member of Facebook to click the link.
I think peer pressure is a good descriptor.
I had once visited an beautiful little town in South America that had absolutely zero litter or cigarette butts anywhere in the village.
When I commented on the beauty and cleanliness the Innkeeper stated the town had no sanitation crews or street sweepers because the citizens decided ages ago to gently police each other with informal peer-pressure to keep the town tidy.
My peers are those who value science, individual well-being, and the common good. I want them to pressure me to do what is scientificly sound, to my personal benefit, and in the interests of the common good.
All positive and laudable virtues. Personally, I do not smoke cigarettes and I'm nauseous anywhere near second hand smoke.
I also recognize that others have rights as well.
Decent people do not need a monitor, a mother hen, a big brother, nor a police state to be free and content.
If they have to beat me over the head with it like a weapon (it is needed on occasion), that's cool
Abide by the constitution and mind your own business and I will do likewise.
Weaponize that action.
Be careful what you wish for. Weapons in the hands of madmen can be harnessed and abused.
 
Abide by the constitution and mind your own business and I will do likewise.

Unfortunately that simplistic formula, attractive as it sounds, can have serious downsides. For example some people can't be vaccinated, and depend on enough other people being vaccinated for herd immunity to be achieved, if they are to be protected from possibly fatal diseases.

There are plenty of examples of choices made by someone "minding their own business" directly affecting other people's quality of life, and even life expectancy. No man is an island, entire of itself.

Be careful what you wish for. Weapons in the hands of madmen can be harnessed and abused.

Indeed, we are currently seeing plenty of examples of that as a result of a madman being elected POTUS.
 
Oh no, you're not getting off easy; you're far worse than the French😄 That whole halvtreds/halvfjerds/halvfems thingy? Not even the French are that perverted!
It is halfway to the next score. What's so difficult about it?

But jokes aside, at school back in the previous century, we learned to use numbers like femtito, or ottini for use when filling out cheques, or in conversation with our Nordic brethren. I wonder if children still learns that.
 
It is halfway to the next score. What's so difficult about it?

But jokes aside, at school back in the previous century, we learned to use numbers like femtito, or ottini for use when filling out cheques, or in conversation with our Nordic brethren. I wonder if children still learns that.
Trying to wriggle your way out of it, are you? To any decent, self-respecting person, halvtreds would be 30, not 50, halvfjerds 40, not 70, and halvfems 50, not 90!

Most Danes seem to be able to switch, when they meet bewildered Swedes, however :giggle: And since I have a thing for languages and the deeply confusing and strange things they do, I love it - the more opaque, the better!
 
It is halfway to the next score. What's so difficult about it?
There's a number for that, it's called "ten". Which is a useful number because of the number of digits that most people have on their hands without using their toes.

We don't call 150 one and a half hundred except for years when we might say one and a half centuries



But jokes aside, at school back in the previous century, we learned to use numbers like femtito, or ottini for use when filling out cheques, or in conversation with our Nordic brethren. I wonder if children still learns that.
See, you use the conventional system when you need to, and write the numbers in base ten. (Something that makes sense with Arabic numerals but not Roman)

Basically, I think Helen has a point.
Not even the French are that perverted!
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom