• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Does 'rape culture' accurately describe (many) societies?

How about we start teaching healthy sexual relationships first (which does not mean exclusively heterosexual monogamous relationships sanctified by religion) and let porn take care of itself?

If people understand what a healthy sexual relationship is, and its relation to porn, then the dangers you suggest are lurking just around the corner vanish. As I have been saying all along, education is the silver bullet. Honest, factual, ideology-free, guilt-free education.
In what way does that deal with the words I wrote? Schools already teach children about sex and relationships.

Let porn take care of itself? You are making excuses for a morally bankrupt industry and for a society that propagates and bankrolls it.
 
In what way does that deal with the words I wrote? Schools already teach children about sex and relationships.
Badly, for the most part.

Let porn take care of itself? You are making excuses for a morally bankrupt industry and for a society that propagates and bankrolls it.
Nope. I'm saying that your "moral bankrupcy" is ideologically bound. The dreadful claims you have made about it are illusory. You have no reason to hate porn other than that you think it's yucky.
 
It was a problem before print and the internet?
Some people, particularly the religiously-motivated moralistic ones, thought so.

Off-the-scale naive faith in humanity.
How much chaos and anarchy are you seeing right now? I don't know where you live, but where I am it's pretty nice. It's just coming into spring and my hay fever is going off. It's going to be a long, hot summer, but unless you're also claiming that porn causes global warming, that's pretty irrelevant too.
 
Badly, for the most part.
Probably.
Nope. I'm saying that your "moral bankrupcy" is ideologically bound. The dreadful claims you have made about it are illusory. You have no reason to hate porn other than that you think it's yucky.
Masturbating to porn is compatible with relationship stability? Really?

The dreadful claims were and are being made by such bodies as the Federal Trade Commission, Banardaos, The Children's Commissioner, The Police......

Stop making excuses.
 
You mean pornography has been legalised because, for some (indeed many), there is nothing necessarily special about it - an act that has no actual meaning, value or associated morality. It's all about the pleasure.
Untrue.
I think you are actually mindful that sex is a fundamental pillar of stable, child-rearing families - the bedrock of a thriving society and that society is broken in that respect (you spoken of absent fathers).
Evidence? How do you deal with the superiority of same sex parenting?

Porn should be banned -
Why? Just because of your prejudices?
 
Masturbating to porn is compatible with relationship stability? Really?
Yes really. This seems to me to be the same misplacement of the point as you get with people quoting the story of Onan.

The problem isn't the porn or the masturbation, the problem is using those as a way to ignore your partner's needs.

Plenty of people enjoy pornography without ignoring their partner's needs.
 
Some of the most tasteful porn out there* promotes itself as sex education
-- and it might just be. I can't say it's not, because my sex education started in
1948, back when sex was Dirty! Dirty! Ew! and has continued pretty much
that way up to the present time.

* Poem, would you insist that NO porn can EVER be tasteful, artistic, wholesome,
and a healthy part of a liberal education?
 
You mean pornography has been legalised because, for some (indeed many), there is nothing necessarily special about it - an act that has no actual meaning, value or associated morality. It's all about the pleasure. You have, therefore, already made that assumption - thus enabling it to be described as mere speech or mere expression. It's in the framing - sex is effectively the equivalent of just speaking. We saw an example of that a while back:
No, this isn't what I mean. This is you putting other people's words in my mouth and pretending they're mine.

My meaning is more along the lines of sex is special, and speech is also special, and this creates a potential conflict in public policy, that must be more carefully and honestly navigated, than you have been doing so far.
That is where society (Western at least) is at today. So your argument above is a reflection of that modern-day Western culture; essentially, you are agreeing with it. I think you are actually mindful that sex is a fundamental pillar of stable, child-rearing families - the bedrock of a thriving society and that society is broken in that respect (you spoken of absent fathers). Yet you cannot see the clear reasons why.
No. I think it is you that are mindful that sex is important in the ways you describe. Which is to say, I think this is something you believe. I think this is actually the foundational axiom for your entire thesis about regulating sex acts and sex speech.

I think you should just say so, and make your argument from this foundation, and let people make up their own minds about whether they agree with you. I think you should stop this nonsense of trying to force other people's words into the framework of your argument. It's dishonest and distracting. You'll never change my mind by distorting my arguments and then telling me those distortions prove you right.

I responded to your POV analogy but you haven't come back.
Not an analogy, an example. My argument, about the value of free speech not being undermined by examples of bad speech, stands just as strong without it as with it.

And I gave up on that particular exchange the moment you decided to pretend to be retarded about the meaning of "POV" in that context.

I gave you a detailed, thoughtful reply, about my views pornography and the right to free speech. Instead of engaging in good faith, you decided to play rude little ◊◊◊◊-◊◊◊◊ games. Now you're whining that your rude little ◊◊◊◊-◊◊◊◊ games didn't get any respect. Poem, I showed you respect. I've shown you respect repeatedly in this thread. You've repeatedly paid me back with disrespect. So don't come crying now, when it turns out my unearned respect only extends so far, when someone decides to be a dick about it.

Porn should be banned - and we should start with virtual child (ie computer generated) and simulated (roleplay) porn...material which some countries have already made illegal. Again, it has been made illegal because it obviously facilitates the slippery-slope rabbit hole to CSAM.
Thank you for finally just making your argument in your own words.
 
We speak of people "consuming" porn, but we don't seem to talk about digesting, assimilating,
metabolising, and excreting the unused portion. Why not? Could porn possibly
be nourishing? Could it perhaps help build strong bones? Reduce cavities? How
about our precious bodily fluids? (Not those fluids! Icky! Stay on topic,
you nasty creatures!)

Poem, I know that in the course of your more-than-Gandhian work for the
salvation of humankind you expose yourself (in private of course) to porn
in its countless forms. But have you tried regurgitating it afterwards? Might
help. Better than just letting it go down down down the system through, right?
 
No, this isn't what I mean. This is you putting other people's words in my mouth and pretending they're mine.

My meaning is more along the lines of sex is special, and speech is also special, and this creates a potential conflict in public policy, that must be more carefully and honestly navigated, than you have been doing so far.
If sex is no more meaningful, valuable or morally challenging than speaking then it is not special. We don't generally need consent to speak. You would not recommend porn or prostitution as a career, but you would not say that about expressing one's thoughts would you? Without an understanding of why you do distinguish speech and porn on the one hand and yet draw a parallel on the other, then it may not be possible to continue with the debate.

Without maintaining the long-held view that sex is special - that it is the very glue that defines relationship stability and the fate of the next generation through their progeny, then - well, you arrive at the broken situation we are in today. Society will remain dysfunctional unless and until we assimilate that obvious truth.

Why won't you explain the (your) issue with sex education and the porn industry spamming kinks to our youth? It is relevant to this discussion.
No. I think it is you that are mindful that sex is important in the ways you describe. Which is to say, I think this is something you believe. I think this is actually the foundational axiom for your entire thesis about regulating sex acts and sex speech.

I think you should just say so, and make your argument from this foundation, and let people make up their own minds about whether they agree with you. I think you should stop this nonsense of trying to force other people's words into the framework of your argument. It's dishonest and distracting. You'll never change my mind by distorting my arguments and then telling me those distortions prove you right.
My speculation is inversely proportional to your unwillingness to outline your position (see last sentence above).
Not an analogy, an example. My argument, about the value of free speech not being undermined by examples of bad speech, stands just as strong without it as with it.

And I gave up on that particular exchange the moment you decided to pretend to be retarded about the meaning of "POV" in that context.

I gave you a detailed, thoughtful reply, about my views pornography and the right to free speech. Instead of engaging in good faith, you decided to play rude little ◊◊◊◊-◊◊◊◊ games. Now you're whining that your rude little ◊◊◊◊-◊◊◊◊ games didn't get any respect. Poem, I showed you respect. I've shown you respect repeatedly in this thread. You've repeatedly paid me back with disrespect. So don't come crying now, when it turns out my unearned respect only extends so far, when someone decides to be a dick about it.
Rude games? I responded by assuming POV meant 'privately owned vehicle' and that post remains without a response from you.
Thank you for finally just making your argument in your own words.
Ok, but I have said it all before.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom