• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Does 'rape culture' accurately describe (many) societies?

Anyone else want to translate this:
The UK still produces a lot of "schoolgirl" themed CP videography.

?
 
Last edited:
The real problem is that I don't know how to translate it properly into Portuguese, and I'm not about to ask.
or colonial privilege?

actually i have no idea what you are talking about (though your tongue is firmly in your cheek of course).
 
or colonial privilege?

actually i have no idea what you are talking about (though your tongue is firmly in your cheek of course).
Last time we checked in, I was talking about how pornography is speech, speech is free, mis-speech doesn't invalidate the a priori value of free speech, therefore pornography should regulated as little as necessary [regardless of how distasteful or anti-social I find some of it to be].

And you were hoping I would have trouble reconciling the bracketed clause with the rest of my argument, but that turns out to be a bust.

Finally, I had pled with you to present your own argument in your own words, but you continue to decline the request. I'll continue to make the request: Do you think porn should be banned? Some forms in particular? If so, why?
 
Last time we checked in, I was talking about how pornography is speech, speech is free, mis-speech doesn't invalidate the a priori value of free speech, therefore pornography should regulated as little as necessary [regardless of how distasteful or anti-social I find some of it to be].

And you were hoping I would have trouble reconciling the bracketed clause with the rest of my argument, but that turns out to be a bust.
You mean pornography has been legalised because, for some (indeed many), there is nothing necessarily special about it - an act that has no actual meaning, value or associated morality. It's all about the pleasure. You have, therefore, already made that assumption - thus enabling it to be described as mere speech or mere expression. It's in the framing - sex is effectively the equivalent of just speaking. We saw an example of that a while back:
You do not know if there is any material difference between scratching someone else's itch and having sex with them?
That is where society (Western at least) is at today. So your argument above is a reflection of that modern-day Western culture; essentially, you are agreeing with it. I think you are actually mindful that sex is a fundamental pillar of stable, child-rearing families - the bedrock of a thriving society and that society is broken in that respect (you spoken of absent fathers). Yet you cannot see the clear reasons why.

I responded to your POV analogy but you haven't come back.
Finally, I had pled with you to present your own argument in your own words, but you continue to decline the request. I'll continue to make the request: Do you think porn should be banned? Some forms in particular? If so, why?
Porn should be banned - and we should start with virtual child (ie computer generated) and simulated (roleplay) porn...material which some countries have already made illegal. Again, it has been made illegal because it obviously facilitates the slippery-slope rabbit hole to CSAM.

What types of porn are distasteful and or anti-social and why?
 
I'd much rather combat the effects of distasteful porn being used as a bad substitute for sex ed, with good sex ed, rather than banning porn.

It would be pretty funny if instead of being blocked, all mainstream porn sites required you to sit thru a mandated sex ed film to get in if you didn't have a membership.
 
I'd much rather combat the effects of distasteful porn being used as a bad substitute for sex ed, with good sex ed, rather than banning porn.

It would be pretty funny if instead of being blocked, all mainstream porn sites required you to sit thru a mandated sex ed film to get in if you didn't have a membership.
Or, you know how they can add "context added" to tweets and posts? Maybe there could be helpful comments below the porn. "Actually, this sort of thing requires significant preparation beforehand, so despite the portrayal it could not have been a spontaneous encounter" etc.
 
You mean pornography has been legalised because...
Porn was never legalised because porn has never been illegal. Certain kinds of porn have been illegalised.

I think you are actually mindful that sex is a fundamental pillar of stable, child-rearing families - the bedrock of a thriving society and that society is broken in that respect (you spoken of absent fathers).
I deny this claim. Prove that without stable, child-rearing families, society would fall apart. You have never done that, and you will never be able to.
 
Porn was never legalised because porn has never been illegal. Certain kinds of porn have been illegalised.
Porn has been illegal. Period.
I deny this claim. Prove that without stable, child-rearing families, society would fall apart. You have never done that, and you will never be able to.
Are you suggesting society is not already broken? How many SJWs would it take?
 
Porn has been illegal. Period.
It was made illegal after being legal for centuries. Millennia, even.

Are you suggesting society is not already broken? How many SJWs would it take?
I am. Look around you - how much chaos and anarchy is there? Unless your claim is that the Ukraine war is caused by porn, your suggestion of a broken society is vastly exaggerated.
 
And the pretence continues.

Instead of teaching healthy sexual relationships to children, shall we continue to excuse a porn industry that is spamming them kinks?
 
And the pretence continues.

Instead of teaching healthy sexual relationships to children, shall we continue to excuse a porn industry that is spamming them kinks?
How about we start teaching healthy sexual relationships first (which does not mean exclusively heterosexual monogamous relationships sanctified by religion) and let porn take care of itself?

If people understand what a healthy sexual relationship is, and its relation to porn, then the dangers you suggest are lurking just around the corner vanish. As I have been saying all along, education is the silver bullet. Honest, factual, ideology-free, guilt-free education.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom