• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Understanding the Conservative Mindset

Here is the original poll: https://www.politico.com/news/2026/07/30/maga-trump-scandal-2026-elections-01013859

It contains the startling insight that "MAGA Trump voters say they would stick with a GOP candidate accused of domestic violence" which we probably could've safely assumed given that Trump reportedly was that candidate.

It does not contain any mentions of conservatism, the mindset associated with conservatism, nor the principles traditionally associated with conservatism.

yes it does following this heading.

Republicans are generally more willing than Democrats to stick with their candidates despite scandal​

Share of adults, split by their 2024 vote, who would stick with their party's candidate through the following scandals if the midterms were tomorrow

don’t ask for polls if you don’t want polls.
 
Last edited:
The thing I have noted about conservatives is they always end up accepting progressive ideas, it just takes them longer.
Don't hold your breath on anything woke, such as open borders, DEI, gender ideology, critical race theory, pronouns, defunding the police, etc.
 
Last edited:
Don't hold your breath on anything woke, such as open borders, DEI, gender ideology, critical race theory, pronouns, defunding the police, etc.
You left out legalizing homosexuality and gay marraige. Those are both antithetical to conservatives rather like legalized birth control.
 
You left out legalizing homosexuality and gay marraige. Those are both antithetical to conservatives rather like legalized birth control.
This is somewhat correct. But it was society in general that changed. Dems/lefties were against it for a long time, too. But it's was really the collapse of evangelicals as a political force that allowed most people to not care. Anyway, I've always thought was was hilarious:

HN2znuXWkAEpX7g
 
Bumping, because I just read a book by Robert Sapolsky called Behavior. One measurable difference between conservative and liberal mindsets is that the right is more influenced by disgust (the insula region of the brain). This has been measured in different ways; one famous example being that people asked to fill out a survey were more prone to lean right when there was a garbage can overflowing with rancid trash in the room than in the same room, same survey, but no trash. Brain scan studies have born out the insula connection as well.

Furthermore, the concept of moral good is so newly evolved as to lack its own dedicated focus of activation in the brain, so the brain uses metaphorical alignment (a concept explored to a great extent, lots of fascinating experiments). Physical disgust and moral disgust both activate the insula.

In the conservative mindset, moral reasoning often ends more or less at the insula. On the left, there's a tendency to take one more step and involve the pre-frontal cortex (the "executive" part of the brain). Specifically, the vmPFC -- the ventromedial prefrontal cortex.

One can imagine a scenario: heterosexual males watch two men kissing on the street. The conservative-inclined males may experience the gut reaction of disgust, interpret this as equally a moral disgust, and that's where the processing ends. The liberal-inclined males may experience more or less the same gut reaction, but their vmPFC takes over and they think, "But I know a bunch of gay men, and they're all right by me," or "But I see myself as a live and let live person," so the action of the insula gets moderated by the reaction of the vmPFC.

Lots of really fascinating studies bear this out. I recommend the book, it's a fantastic read. (He also gets into the dangers of too much empathy, just btw.)
 
...one famous example being that people asked to fill out a survey were more prone to lean right when there was a garbage can overflowing with rancid trash in the room than in the same room, same survey, but no trash.
I'm afraid that sounds like all-too-typical social psychology p-hacked ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ that ends up not replicating when studied in a more-rigorous manner. Could you provide a reference to the study? I'd like to take a critical look at the study design and analysis.
 
Last edited:
The apparent contradictions in the "conservative mindset" (or any mindset) can be summarized as either cognitive dissonance, people not really knowing what they want or not accurately communicating it, intentionally or otherwise, or just competing ideas within the Right.

Why did an earlier generation of conservatives emphasize state's rights and small government? They were invoking the principles of the historic American nation, and the Left was gaining a lot of influence in the second half of the last century. The rule is you retreat to libertarianism when the other side has power. But over a long enough timeline, libertarianism isn't going to save you---you have to make people leave you alone. Conservatism, even of the Joe Sobran variety, isn't enough. And I think that's why we're seeing a resurgent Right unapologetically seeking state power to overturn the work of the civil rights movement, second-wave feminism, gay movement, etc. I think the Left has understood this for a while, albeit not to the satisfaction of the DSA and anarchist crowds.
 
Last edited:
The apparent contradictions in the "conservative mindset" (or any mindset) can be summarized as either cognitive dissonance, people not really knowing what they want or not accurately communicating it, intentionally or otherwise, or just competing ideas within the Right.

Why did an earlier generation of conservatives emphasize state's rights and small government? They were invoking the principles of the historic American nation, and the Left was gaining a lot of influence in the second half of the last century. The rule is you retreat to libertarianism when the other side has power. But over a long enough timeline, libertarianism isn't going to save you---you have to make people leave you alone. Conservatism, even of the Joe Sobran variety, isn't enough. And I think that's why we're seeing a resurgent Right unapologetically seeking state power to overturn the work of the civil rights movement, second-wave feminism, gay movement, etc. I think the Left has understood this for a while, albeit not to the satisfaction of the DSA and anarchist crowds.
Your hallucinations reveal a lot about the liberal mindset.
 
I'm afraid that sounds like all-too-typical social psychology p-hacked ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊. Could you provide a reference to the study? I'd like to take a critical look at the study design and analysis.
I listened to the book as a library loan, so I can only refer you to the book itself. Here's the Amazon link: Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst. It was an audio book, but I'd be shocked if it didn't have extensive references to journal articles.

Sapolsky is a neuroscientist and a primatologist. The book was heavy on science, and a challenging read, but I do recommend it.
 
Your hallucinations reveal a lot about the liberal mindset.
I overstated it a bit there. But I believe it's moving in that direction, particularly among young men. And we see this sentiment among some Republican politicians and candidates for office.
 
I overstated it a bit there. But I believe it's moving in that direction, particularly among young men. And we see this sentiment among some Republican politicians and candidates for office.
Ok. Fair enough.
 
You left out legalizing homosexuality and gay marraige. Those are both antithetical to conservatives rather like legalized birth control.
In the USA, they are. In many other parts of the world, not so much:
Søren Pape Poulsen (Wikipedia)
Søren Pape Poulsen (31 December 1971 – 2 March 2024) was a Danish politician who served as a member of the Folketing for the Danish Conservative Party and its leader from 2014 until his death. He was previously Mayor of Viborg Municipality from 2010 to 2014 and Justice Minister of Denmark from 2016 to 2019.
(...)
On 10 August 2014, Pape Poulsen came out as gay, simultaneously announcing his relationship with Josué Medina Vásquez, originally from the Dominican Republic.[14]They were engaged in 2017,[15] later marrying in 2021.
It's peculiar that some conservative Americans manage to be both gay and against "legalizing homosexuality and gay marriage."
In Europe, I think you'll usually have to go to countries run by autocratic conservatives to find similar attitudes.
Interesting maps in this Wikipedia article: LGBTQ rights in Europe
 
Why did an earlier generation of conservatives emphasize state's rights and small government?
It never did. 'Small government' and 'fiscal convervatism' was always about image and preventing any and all wealth to 'trickle down' to the poor. It's never about the army, the police or subsidies for industry.

Aaron Rupar on bsky, Sep 27, 2026
Trump lies: "Oil will come dropping down as soon as Iran gives up, as soon as the war is over, which will be soon. Prices for groceries have come way down for Biden. Almost every price has come way down. And remember one thing -- oil is less expensive now than it was under the Biden administration."
Olúfẹ́mi O. Táíwò on bsky, Sep 27, 2026
to keep functioning, society must discourage baldfaced lying, especially by authorities
Matt Salomone on bsky, Sep 27, 2026
Exactly. Trump’s truth claims are not, have never been, empirical assertions vulnerable to fact-checking. They’re spiritual New Thought nonsense that can only be debunked by voters (or actuarial tables).
Matt Salomone on bsky, Sep 27, 2026
I’m reminded of Arlie Russell Hochschild’s concept of the “deep story” of the Right*, the vibes that are so deeply felt that any claim which resonates with those vibes is taken as true
Matt Salomone on bsky, Sep 27, 2026
Deep story: “My life is hard bc the elites in power care more about [insert out-group] than about me.” Claim: “Haitian immigrants are eating the dogs” Inference: “That makes sense bc they’re being protected from consequences by those elites; it must be True™️”
Notice how this corresponds to the DEI narrative:
'I was supposed to be a success story at this point in my life in my pursuit of the American Dream, so why ain't I?'
The answer is so damn obvious, ain't it? It was delivered to them by the GOP:
'Because of all those N-words, illegal immigrants, and the elites (i.e. school teachers!!!) using all my money to pay for sex-change operations and gay pride parades.'

The new thing is that Bernie Sanders, first and foremost, managed to change that narrative:
Claim: ‘Obscene,’ Says Sanders After CBO Reports Richest 1% Now Owns Over 1/3 of US Wealth
And unlike the claim about Haitian immigrants, this one is actually true!
It's not new. It's not something Bernie didn't come up with until 2022 when it occurred to him all of a sudden.
And it obviously failed to reach the masses at that point in time.
So why does it work now when it didn't four years ago?

The new thing is that the truth is now plain to see for anybody who isn't 100 percent immersed in the MAGA cult.
It got even worse under Trump. He made it clear to everybody who the actual elite is when he paraded them for the whole nation to see at his inauguration. They weren't the doctors, the nurses, the teachers, the annoying 'woke' college students or the news hosts of the 'lamestream media.'

It takes a lot more than the usual amount of cognitive dissonance to not see what is happening. It takes a lot more than the degree of denial that conservatives always depend on to unsee the difference between Trump, the Superman of the memes, and the decrepit, lying old bastard that he actually is.
The current GOP lies only appeal to the base, the dumbest of the MAGAlytes, the ones who believed in the QAnon conspiracy ideas, and that base is shrinking fast!
Tommy Tuberville's attempt to revive the conservative narrative with his story about furry pilots ain't cuttin' it. (It doesn't help that his name already sounds like something you would call a character on Nickelodeon.)

* I didn't know about Artie Russell Hochschild's "“deep story” of the Right," until Matt Salomone mentioned it, but this is it: The American Right: Its Deep Story (Global Dialogue, Aug 6, 2016)
It's not a long article, and the Deep Story (in italics) is only 20 lines long.
I returned to my respondents to ask if this deep story described their feelings. While some altered the story here or there (“so we get in another line…” or “that’s our money he’s giving out…”), they all claimed the story as their own. One told me “I live your metaphor.” Another said, “You read my mind.”
 
It never did. 'Small government' and 'fiscal convervatism' was always about image and preventing any and all wealth to 'trickle down' to the poor. It's never about the army, the police or subsidies for industry.
I don't buy that it was all just a cynical political tactic. Though that is a useful caricature for their opponents.
 
I don't buy that it was all just a cynical political tactic. Though that is a useful caricature for their opponents.
What would you accept as proof?
Democrats vs. Republicans: Who Had More National Debt? (Investopedia, June 2, 2026)
Republican presidents added about $1.4 trillion per four-year term, compared to $1.2 trillion added by Democrats since 1913.
The irony is that if you are a so-called fiscal conservative, you should vote for the Democrats – except that's not really what allegedly fiscal conservatives want. They want poor people to be further disadvantaged, and it's what they get from Republicans. (And they tend to get it from corporate Democrats, too, but they are not as overt about it.)

There are several parameters in this article, all of them very interesting. I wasn't aware of most of them before now:
U.S. economic performance by presidential party (Wikipedia)
Job creation
GDP growth
Unemployment rates
Income growth and inequality
Inflation
Federal budget deficits
Stock market returns
Corporate profits
Recessions
Reasons for over-performances by Democratic presidents
Commentary
Statistics
References
External links

If you want me to find examples of Republican politicians saying, 'We don't give a ◊◊◊◊ about poor people. Screw them!', it's obviously not something they usually say in televised speeches, but it does happen:
Romney: "I'm not concerned about the very poor" (Politico, Feb 1, 2012, 32 sec.)
POLITICS
ROMNEY: When I Said I Don't Care About Poor People I Didn't Really Mean It That Way (Business Insider, Feb 3, 2012)

They tend to get even more honest when they are talking to campaign donors and think the microphones have been turned off.
Later, that same year, 2012:
Full video and transcript of leaked Romney fundraiser remarks (NBC News, Sep 18, 2026)
MITT ROMNEY: Well, there are 47% of the people who will vote for the president [Obama] no matter what. All right? There are 47% who are with him. Who are dependent upon government, who believe that--that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they're entitled to healthcare, to food, to housing, to you name it. But that's--it's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.
And-- and-- I mean the president starts off with 48%, 49%, 40--or he--he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. 47% of Americans pay no income taxes. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every--every four years.
And--and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5% to 10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion. Whether they like the guy or not. What they--what it looks like. I mean the--it's the--the--when you ask those people--we do all these polls. I find it amazing. We poll all these people, see where you stand in the polls. About 45% of the people will vote for the Republican and 48% or 49%-- (BREAK IN AUDIO)
All those entitled poor people!
And Mitt Romney (alongside John McCain, who helped make the Tea Party kosher) is supposed to be one of the good Republicans ...
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom