Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
I know what world you are talking about that. I should re-read.East takes you out,
out takes you West,
West takes you in,
in takes you East,
port and starboard bring you back.
![]()
I know what world you are talking about that. I should re-read.East takes you out,
out takes you West,
West takes you in,
in takes you East,
port and starboard bring you back.
![]()
On the one hand, I think it's like walking. Usually best to just do it rather than think about how it's done.
On the other hand, I think it just goes to show that computer interfaces aren't nearly as natural and intuitive as we like to think. We probably shouldn't be too hard on people who struggle to wrap their heads around the idioms of human-computer interfaces.
Our patterns indicate two-dimensional thinking.Are you guys all assuming Euclidean geometries?
Yeah, just try getting a USB drive in the right way the first time. Even if they're marked, they may be marked wrong (I know from personal experience.) Or take the simple mistake in The Big Bang Theory when they got the Time Machine. Leonard pulled the lever back, and they all sped up. But, in the movie (and logically), you push forward to move forward in time, pull back to go backward. (Those nerds should have known that!)On the one hand, I think it's like walking. Usually best to just do it rather than think about how it's done.
On the other hand, I think it just goes to show that computer interfaces aren't nearly as natural and intuitive as we like to think. We probably shouldn't be too hard on people who struggle to wrap their heads around the idioms of human-computer interfaces.
Very much so. When I'm helping someone non-technical with computer problems I try to find out what their metaphor? mental model? of how computers work is like and try to fit my explanation in with that.On the one hand, I think it's like walking. Usually best to just do it rather than think about how it's done.
On the other hand, I think it just goes to show that computer interfaces aren't nearly as natural and intuitive as we like to think. We probably shouldn't be too hard on people who struggle to wrap their heads around the idioms of human-computer interfaces.
This is what drives me crazy. On any given day I use Windows, Mac, and Linux desktops. On machines I "own" I set them all up so that motion moves the window frame over the content. That is, swiping (or rolling the wheel) upward makes the content move downward. But from day-to-day I'm using shared machines that belong to a station, not to a person. We tend to leave the customizations settings alone on those, so I have to use whatever is there.It may depend on whether you're on a Windows or Apple device. The scroll wheels on mice go in the opposite directions, by default.

Don't get me started on video game flight controls...I guess my mental model flips between two modes.
1. Scrolling makes the content move up or down.
2. Scrolling makes my viewing window move up or down the content.
You're not really having troubles with the human/machine interface until you pull a really bone-headed move, like pulling back on the steering wheel to 'go around', because you see that traffic has stopped in front of you.
![]()
You're kidding, right?!!!It may depend on whether you're on a Windows or Apple device. The scroll wheels on mice go in the opposite directions, by default.
I couldn't afford the Möbius option on my display, but I'm saving up for the Klein bottle. (I understand they're having a hard time with manufacturing costs as well as the user interface.)Are you guys all assuming Euclidean geometries?
With my Getrag 6-speed manual transmission, you get to reverse by starting in neutral, shoving the stick hard right (past the track that contains forward gears 5 and 6), and then pulling it back.I'm scratching my head, because every car I've ever driven has had 'reverse gear' selected by pushing the gear stick forward, typically after negotiating a complex gate. (e.g. push the knob down, then left, then forward on my last car. Pull up a ring, then left, then forward on another. Weird complex wiggly path on a Volkswagen Passat.)
I heard they were struggling with the input.I couldn't afford the Möbius option on my display, but I'm saving up for the Klein bottle. (I understand they're having a hard time with manufacturing costs as well as the user interface.)
This guy will sell you one.I couldn't afford the Möbius option on my display, but I'm saving up for the Klein bottle. (I understand they're having a hard time with manufacturing costs as well as the user interface.)
With my Getrag 6-speed manual transmission, you get to reverse by starting in neutral, shoving the stick hard right (past the track that contains forward gears 5 and 6), and then pulling it back.
As long as it's not putting your disc icon into the waste paper basket to eject your disc... That I never agreed with!Very much so. When I'm helping someone non-technical with computer problems I try to find out what their metaphor? mental model? of how computers work is like and try to fit my explanation in with that.
I invite you to consider my custom title in such situations.As long as it's not putting your disc icon into the waste paper basket to eject your disc... That I never agreed with!
I had never heard that term before, even though I was a much milder version of it for much of my career.I invite you to consider my custom title in such situations.
That's probably why MacOS switches the trashcan icon to the eject icon when you start dragging a mounted volume. There are endless jokes for Windows about dragging My Computer to the trashcan and the whole computer vanishes from your desk.As long as it's not putting your disc icon into the waste paper basket to eject your disc... That I never agreed with!
Or Ford v Toyota.Left/Right swap for indicators and windscreen wipers either side of the steering column (European vs Australian cars);