That's easier to imagine when we're talking to someone whose knowledge of photography, physics, and science in general was already pathetically out of date by the Year 1500.
Sitting on the Bench.
The trouble with it is the people.
I'm not saying you get a load of riffraff down the mine.
I'm not saying that.
I'm just saying we had a load of riffraff down my mine.
Hello, I found a bit of coal.
Have you really?
Yes, no doubt about it. This black substance is coal, all right.
Jolly good! The very thing we're looking for!
Yes. And what's more, it's quite a heavy lump!
Be very careful not to drop it on your foot, then . . . Ha Ha Ha!
What? Me drop a great heavy lump of coal on my foot? You must be out of your . . . Ooooohhh! . . . I've dropped it on my foot, I say.
Silly duffer.
Yes, hello, I found another lump of coal! Even heavier than the first lump!
Be very careful not to drop that on your foot then, Ha Ha Ha!
What? Me drop another great heavy lump of coal on my foot? You must be out of your . . . Ooooohhh! . . . I've dropped it on your foot, I see.
And what's more, being a miner, as soon as you're too old and tired and ill and sick and stupid to do your job properly, you have to go. Where the very opposite applies with the judges.