Poem
Illuminator
- Joined
- Nov 28, 2021
- Messages
- 3,834
Why is that porn we discussed abhorrent?Good point. Especially given that earlier versions of
Any sign of those objective morals yet?
Why is that porn we discussed abhorrent?Good point. Especially given that earlier versions of
Any sign of those objective morals yet?
You aren't even trying to understand my answers to your questions.Please address the following:
So? That's an argument from authority. And Nietzche is probably one of the last persons that I would listen to for a lesson on morality.Nihilist Friedrich Nietzsche predicted it would destroy all moral, religious, and metaphysical convictions and precipitate the greatest crisis in human history. (IEP)
I don't know, Poem, I feel like my subjective sense of morality rules the 'and then' part out pretty damn effectively. But what in the sam hill has this got to do with porn?(...) the upshot of such an ideology is that anybody, if they so which, can define sex to have no moral consequence and then proceed to engage in such an act with a minor.
Also just to make this clear. The hilited is quite simply always true whenever it is physically possible. It's not an 'upshot' of any ideology.(...) the upshot of such an ideology is that
anybody, if they so which, can define sex to have no moral consequence and then
proceed to engage in such an act with a minor.
By the same token, nobody else has big enough (philosophical) guns to say that anyone else's personal sense of morality is mistaken.Also just to make this clear. The hilited is quite simply always true whenever it is physically possible. It's not an 'upshot' of any ideology.
Anyone who isn't interested in the wellbeing of others can decide to do immoral things if they want. Just like anyone who is interested in the wellbeing of others doesn't need any big guns to back up their personal sense of morality.
Sure. But I don't need to prove that objectively right or wrong. It's irrelevant.By the same token, nobody else has big enough (philosophical) guns to say that anyone else's personal sense of morality is mistaken.
Sounds like you've never had them Buffalo style.Though of course, eating kittens is just plain... plain wrong! And no one should do it, ever!
There is no meat on kittens. You should wait until they're adult.
I have wondered what that foul aftertaste was...Nah.
Cats, like all carnivores, taste horrible.
I understand all this acbytesla but it still does not address the essence of what I am trying to say. If, as you say:There are no universal objective morals. We as human being decide what is good and bad. If you and I, agree on values we can together make objective assessments on what is good and bad. But if we don't share the same values, our objective assessments are going to be different.
I base morality on well being. My well being and the well being of others. Most people usually agree that life is generally preferable to death. Health is generally preferable to sickness. Pleasure is generally preferable to pain. Truth is generally preferable to lies. If we use this criteria we will generally agree what is good or bad, and right or wrong.
But there is no universal imperative that we agree to such criteria. Still, there is no universal requirement we agree to such criteria. But most people do.
But it's important to acknowledge that ethics is situational. There are situations where lying or stealing or killing may be the most moral thing you can do.
then the sexual act (in whatever form) can be considered purely in terms of it's pleasurable aspect without any further meaning or moral import. However, societies don't generally permit such a 'definition' of sex when it comes to underage sex. Meaning and morality are assigned to the sexual act in such circumstances. This implies that there is something about sex that is meaningful. We don't and won't put an adult in prison for scratching a child's back (and we won't do so either for an adult), so sex is a materially different act from that.We can then decide for ourselves what has meaning and what doesn't. We don't require others to assign the meaning of life to us.
I don't know if it is or it isn't. It does probably mean that society has decided that humans need to develop both physically, intellectually, and emotionally to process the ramifications. And that society is concerned that adults will take advantage of that person's underdeveloped state.I understand all this acbytesla but it still does not address the essence of what I am trying to say. If, as you say:
then the sexual act (in whatever form) can be considered purely in terms of it's pleasurable aspect without any further meaning or moral import. However, societies don't generally permit such a 'definition' of sex when it comes to underage sex. Meaning and morality are assigned to the sexual act in such circumstances. This implies that there is something about sex that is meaningful. We don't and won't put an adult in prison for scratching a child's back (and we won't do so either for an adult), so sex is a materially different act from that.
I don't know. That said, I am not bothered.What is it about sex that has led us to make it meaningful in this way? Proceeding down the path of subjective assignment, as you and others have been emphasising is dangerous is it not? Why else has the US permitted pornographic content that is illegal in the UK?
You do not know if there is any material difference between scratching someone else's itch and having sex with them?I don't know if it is or it isn't.
Ramifications? The ramifications of performing a meaningless act with no moral import?It does probably mean that society has decided that humans need to develop both physically, intellectually, and emotionally to process the ramifications.
You are ascribing meaning even though you imply there is no meaning. Take advantage of what exactly? Their sex has been redefined as a meaningless act hasn't it?And that society is concerned that adults will take advantage of that person's underdeveloped state.
You are not bothered because you do not if fact ascribe any special meaning to the sex act.I don't know. That said, I am not bothered.
People are saying 'there is no objective, universal meaning; there is only the meaning that individuals and societies assign' and you are hearing only 'there is no meaning.'You are ascribing meaning even though you imply there is no meaning.
You have misunderstood me and are clearly ascribing meaning to that which you believe is only ascribable in a subjective way. And what makes you think adults are capable of properly evaluating for themselves?People are saying 'there is no objective, universal meaning; there is only the meaning that individuals and societies assign' and you are hearing only 'there is no meaning.'
People are saying 'sex between consenting adults is as big a deal (or not) as they feel it is' and you are hearing 'sex is never a big deal.'
People are saying 'we don't mind about consenting adults doing whatever they like with one another' and you respond with 'why would you think children shouldn't be able to consent?'
Okay here I'll try. Developing people have different amounts of saavy. Most agree it is bad to take advantage of a kid for something the kid was not yet in a position to properly evaluate for themselves. Whether that's a contract for their labor or their likeness or access to their body or whatever. We have clear reasons to think this is bad, such as, kids who were taken advantage of, growing up and being angry that their states of ignorance were exploited.
There are a bunch of reasons most people prefer monogamy, from ensuring a kid's provenance, to avoiding STDs, to avoiding drama, to the worry that a partner could fall in love with someone else and want to break up the current partnership and become monogamous with them instead.
Some of these reasons make more sense than others, but at the end of the day they are all preferences, which everybody is allowed to have, and which everybody who wants to be in a serious relationship ought to be communicating.
NopeYou do not know if there is any material difference between scratching someone else's itch and having sex with them?
Society has a way of taking meaningless things and influencing people to give those things meaning. Everything from awards to money to sex. Nothing unusual there.Ramifications? The ramifications of performing a meaningless act with no moral import?
No, I'm not. Any meaning the act may have is a result of the individuals involved.You are ascribing meaning even though you imply there is no meaning. Take advantage of what exactly? Their sex has been redefined as a meaningless act hasn't it?
Not to the sex act itself. No.You are not bothered because you do not if fact ascribe any special meaning to the sex act.
Says who? You? Yawn.Your ideology is contradictory and extremely dangerous.
Yes, I am. Of course I am. I believe that is how ascribing meaning works. I'm telling you about the meaning I've ascribed. We must be talking at cross purposes, because I don't understand what you seem to find inconsistent etc about my position.You (...) are clearly ascribing meaning to that which you believe is only ascribable in a subjective way.
Well I mean, some people remain (or become) feckless but they have generally had the opportunity to gain enough life experience to try to figure out how to properly evaluate what they want from their own relationships (and learned how to tell whether their potential partner is lying/scheming/taking advantage of them in a way they'd find unacceptable in the cold light of day, like if they saw it happening to someone else, weren't blinded by the attention etc).(...) And what makes you think adults are capable of properly evaluating for themselves?
This is a strawman, and a rather unpleasant one.Are you suggesting that we cannot counter such subjectivity? - that we cannot deny the point of view of: