Thermal
August Member
I had them. The Rugby series. Absolute brutes, freaking indestructible.Samsung had waterproof phones when you could still flick the back off and take the battery out.
I had them. The Rugby series. Absolute brutes, freaking indestructible.Samsung had waterproof phones when you could still flick the back off and take the battery out.
The standard Galaxy range went waterproof (IIRC) from the S5.I had them. The Rugby series. Absolute brutes, freaking indestructible.
I had an S5, but I think they skipped a few versions till they went waterproof again? My S6 definitely wasn't.The standard Galaxy range went waterproof (IIRC) from the S5.
Indeed . Like today's standised notebook USB-C charger directive."As of February 18, 2027, user-replaceable batteries should be included in all smartphones and tablets sold within the [EU] bloc. The relocation is part of a bigger initiative to lessen electronic waste and prolong the lifetime of consumer devices."
Great initiative, yes?
Not really."As of February 18, 2027, user-replaceable batteries should be included in all smartphones and tablets sold within the [EU] bloc. The relocation is part of a bigger initiative to lessen electronic waste and prolong the lifetime of consumer devices."
Great initiative, yes?
The USB-C thing was not the flex against Apple everybody thinks. Apple phones have always been charged by USB. The only part that was non standard was one end of the cable. The charger was (is) a USB charger. The other end of the cable has a USB-C or USB-A plug on it. Also, Apple was in the process of phasing out Lightning anyway. They already had on the iPad and the laptops had been USB-C charged for years.Yes, hopefully this will have a knock-on effect to all phones (I'm looking at you, Apple) like the EU USB-C mandate did.
I prefer a battery that can be changed easily and miss that feature but I'm not sure the world will be significantly better because of this legislation.I actually prefer the current iteration of the smartphone. Regulating them out of existence would mean that I, a customer, could not choose the better product.
The battery would also require extra packaging around it so that it can be handled easily outside the phone. If my phone has to be a bit bigger, I'd rather they filled the extra space with more battery than a plastic battery container.A screw down rear panel could be water tight and needn't significantly increase the size.
For me, a battery that can be charged easily is preferable to a battery that can be changed easily.I prefer a battery that can be changed easily and miss that feature
The battery would also require extra packaging around it so that it can be handled easily outside the phone. If my phone has to be a bit bigger, I'd rather they filled the extra space with more battery than a plastic battery container.
For me, a battery that can be charged easily is preferable to a battery that can be changed easily.
It would require some kind of case in addition to the phone case unless you want a bunch of parts and battery innards all over you when you change the battery, I have no idea if current phone batteries have a case in addition to the phone case or not though. I suspect they do, in which case, having it replaceable or not makes no difference in that regard.I disagree, I can't see anything in the rules that would require it to be encased in plastic, it has to be user replaceable without special tools or the tools must be provided, not packaged to snap in/snap out. There's no reason that the battery itself needs to be any different.
A couple of my colleagues have them.Anyone here have experience with Fairphone? (https://www.fairphone.com) They claim to make a phone where all the parts are replaceable and they even have google-free Android alternatives.
I'm very attracted to the idea, but they don't ship to the US and won't give you a warranty if you do ship one to the US through a third party. I'm nevertheless considering going for it, but I've never met anyone who's even heard of them, let alone has experience with them.
It would require some kind of case in addition to the phone case unless you want a bunch of parts and battery innards all over you when you change the battery, I have no idea if current phone batteries have a case in addition to the phone case or not though. I suspect they do, in which case, having it replaceable or not makes no difference in that regard.
That's what I figured, I just didn't know it for a fact.It really wouldn't, this isn't a 'swap out the battery when it's flat' edict, it's make it possible for a reasonably competent adult to replace the battery at home with common or supplied tools if it fails. How many loose parts do you think are rattling around in a phone? Existing batteries don't fall to pieces when they're replaced. The only required difference is access to the case.
ETA: Existing phone batteries
Smartex® Black Label Battery compatible with iPhone 8-1821 mAh | 2 Years Guarantee : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Smartex® Black Label Battery compatible with iPhone 8-1821 mAh | 2 Years Guarantee : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photowww.amazon.co.uk
My guess is that fewer whole phones (which contain more precious metals than batteries) will end up in landfill.I prefer a battery that can be changed easily and miss that feature but I'm not sure the world will be significantly better because of this legislation.
I'm curious how much E-waste this will actually reduce.
You mean, from a technical, electrical engineering perspective? I couldn't tell you.Why would the battery be harder to charge?
You mean, from a technical, electrical engineering perspective? I couldn't tell you.
What I can tell you is that I used to maintain 2-3 phone batteries and an external charger, and diligently keep the spares topped up. Batteries used to be a lot slower to charge, a lot lesser in capacity, and a lot shorter lived. Remember when trying to keep a phone battery fully charged shortened its lifespan?
Yeah, back when a battery lasted four hours, and took another four hours to charge, it made sense to have a spare ready to swap in halfway through the day.
Now, my battery lasts for a couple days, charges in under an hour, and has a service life about as long as the rest of the phone.
When I'm going to be really out of pocket, I pack a portable power brick, in case I need an "emergency" recharge. Forcing smartphone manufacturers to saddle me with a removable battery doesn't solve any problem I currently have, nor expect to have in the future.