jeremyp
Philosopher
If an engine does that on the launchpad, probably the whole rocket will be toast.Why?
If an engine does that on the launchpad, probably the whole rocket will be toast.Why?
If an engine does that on the launchpad, probably the whole rocket will be toast.
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
The @BoringCompany could build a Hyperloop tunnel from downtown SF to downtown LA for <5% of this cost and it would be a technological marvel exceeding any high speed rail on Earth
I did the maths. Apparently "current demand" is roughly 20,000 people a day (one way). That seems low.Quote
Hans Mahncke
@HansMahncke
If you gave away $126 billion to subsidize free flights between LA and San Francisco at current demand levels, you could fund roughly 150 to 200 years of travel before the money runs out. x.com/KTLA/status/20…
No. As a general rule, the earlier in the development process that you discover a problem, the cheaper it is to fix it.Right, but to me it's MORE of a failure. That's what I was trying to get at. I understand there will be more damage to launchpad, and the rocket, and etc. but if you're looking at it from a mission success standpoint, it doesn't seem to be any better at all. It seems to be a step backwards, right?
I was under the impression that the rockets being used for this were a mature technology (relatively speaking) for SpaceX (what is his deal with X anyway?). Admittedly, I don't do space ◊◊◊◊ so I'm probably lower than your standard layman. It's all Greek to me.
I'm not saying it's not a massive failure but it would be even more massive if you didn't find the problem until it had been deployed. What would you rather happen?From a networking standpoint if I had a switch brand that I used, and I got a new one, but I couldn't even get to the point of deployment I would consider that a massive failure.
By thew way, I'm not trying to diminish the severity of this. I'm just saying t is better they discover the problem now than while the engine is supposed to be powering a ship into orbit. It's still pretty bad because these engines need to be really reliable by rocket engine standards for Starship to be practical.
Which schedule? Elon's schedule or a realistic and practical one?How many years behind schedule are they now?
Which schedule? Elon's schedule or a realistic and practical one?
Yeah, you'd think, but you already said that you "don't do space ◊◊◊◊" and it's "all Greek" to you, so maybe what you think isn't all that accurate.I'd think they'd be behind no matter which schedule was used.
I was under the impression that the rockets being used for this were a mature technology (relatively speaking) for SpaceX (what is his deal with X anyway?). Admittedly, I don't do space ◊◊◊◊ so I'm probably lower than your standard layman. It's all Greek to me.
From a networking standpoint if I had a switch brand that I used, and I got a new one, but I couldn't even get to the point of deployment I would consider that a massive failure.
It's a completely new design. After all their 'iterations' on the previous design it's back to square one.Right, but to me it's MORE of a failure. That's what I was trying to get at. I understand there will be more damage to launchpad, and the rocket, and etc. but if you're looking at it from a mission success standpoint, it doesn't seem to be any better at all. It seems to be a step backwards, right?
The only schedule they have apart from Elon Musk's fantasy schedule is the one set by the HLS contract. In that schedule, an unmanned HLS was supposed to land on the Moon in 2024.Which schedule? Elon's schedule or a realistic and practical one?
No, it's not completely new. They're not going back to square one. It's a Version 3.0 rather than a 2.5.It's a completely new design. After all their 'iterations' on the previous design it's back to square one.
And has far less sales than either. Or ever will.Elon Musk
@elonmusk
Cybertruck is quicker than a Porsche 911, more powerful than a Ford Raptor
No you couldn't, Elon, you ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ liar, cheat and conman.Elon Musk
@elonmusk
The @BoringCompany could build a Hyperloop tunnel from downtown SF to downtown LA for <5% of this cost and it would be a technological marvel exceeding any high speed rail on Earth
Quote
Hans Mahncke
@HansMahncke
If you gave away $126 billion to subsidize free flights between LA and San Francisco at current demand levels, you could fund roughly 150 to 200 years of travel before the money runs out. x.com/KTLA/status/20…
It's a complete redesign of the engine.No, it's not completely new. They're not going back to square one. It's a Version 3.0 rather than a 2.5.
No it isn't, it's based on the same basic Raptor design, just with more power.It's a complete redesign of the engine.