• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread DEI in the US

It never occurred to me that you were trying to convince me of anything. I assumed all along your intent was to misrepresent and vilify me. Next time you're "just wondering what I thought", consider being a little more clear about what exactly you're trying to do. Paraphrasing my position in terms of your strawman is counter-productive.

idk you quoted me after i made it, so you can’t really assume my intent was to misrepresent your point. not even sure what about it was offensive either, you do think it’s a problem and are glad there going after it. i didn’t paraphrase your argument, i asked you for your thoughts on my point that you quoted. and when you gave them i accepted them and moved on.
 
The entire WNBA business model is dependent upon membership in a protected class.
Discrimination in employment is governed by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Sex-segregated professional sports have been ruled by the courts to be legal under the bona fide occupational qualification clause of Title VII, a very narrow exception to the prohibition on sex discrimination by employers.
 
Yes. And if parents choose to feed their kids processed junk food instead of milk and eggs, what do you?
I was lactose intolerant from an early age, and refused to drink milk. When I went to school my mother made lunch for me. No processed junk food, but her sandwich-making skills were terrible and I hated Marmite. I trying giving it away, and when that didn't work I threw it in the bin. I got into trouble for that, but they couldn't make me eat lunch so eventually they gave up.

It could be argued that not supplying a lunch attractive enough for me to eat may have reduced my potential intelligence. OTOH the effects of tetraethyl lead on growing brains are well known, so having to go to a school in the city definitely did.

BTW 'processed' food isn't necessarily bad food. I challenge your implication that poor people only feed their kids 'junk' food, but even if they did so what? The point is what the kids eat when at school, not at home. If they aren't getting anything for whatever reason, then that's an opportunity to make sure that at least one meal a day is healthy.

I get where you are coming from though. I mean, if parents can't fed their kids properly then why should taxpayers foot the bill? A very shortsighted view. Our economy is critically dependent on having an effective workforce. As our technology gets more sophisticated we need smarter people to maintain it. That also means 'dumb' people can't do those jobs, and more will turn to crime. But of course you don't care about that. You only care about having more money for yourself. Well not me. I would gladly pay a little bit more tax to have a healthier, happier population of smarter people who will make the world a better place for everyone - including me.
 
Last edited:
Sex-segregated professional sports have been ruled by the courts to be legal under the bona fide occupational qualification clause of Title VII, a very narrow exception to the prohibition on sex discrimination by employers.
You'll notice, though, that the stated principle which I was replying to at #728 didn't callout any BOFQ exceptions.

Sorry if I don't consider this paywalled billionaire propaganda rag to be authoritative.
You are free to cross-check any factual claims in that article, or just let us know which ones you find most questionable.

Corporations have been male-dominated for generations, especially the executive levels.
Either you've been to a designedly male-only corporate event or else you have not. I'd be skeptical of anyone < 65 y.o. who told me they've actually seen one (unless they were from outside the OECD) but I'm open to evidence that such events still exist in the developed world, as you claimed at #740.
 
Last edited:
Having women's only bathrooms is illegal discrimination, according to theprestige.
 
Having women's only bathrooms is illegal discrimination, according to theprestige.
Only if you're denying comparable facilities to men, because of their sex. There are a few cases where sex segregation makes sense, and we reasonably make exceptions in those cases. None of those cases involve disadvantaging men because of their sex.

More access to company leadership is a clear benefit that an employer should provide to all, regardless of their sex. Not grant to some and deny to others, based on which sex they are.
 
Keep telling yourself that the women's retreat is illegally discriminating against men. When the courts dismiss the case, or rule against the suit, you can whine even more.
 
Keep telling yourself that the women's retreat is illegally discriminating against men. When the courts dismiss the case, or rule against the suit, you can whine even more.
Are we talking about the same courts which smacked down race-based admissions policies?
 
idk you quoted me after i made it, so you can’t really assume my intent was to misrepresent your point.
You started with a misrepresentation. I assumed that your responses to me from that point forward were likely to be cut from the same cloth.

not even sure what about it was offensive either, you do think it’s a problem and are glad there going after it. i didn’t paraphrase your argument, i asked you for your thoughts on my point that you quoted. and when you gave them i accepted them and moved on.
You framed it offensively, insinuating associations and ideas I don't actually hold. That's why I suggested that for clarity you should try saying something closer to what I actually said, and using words closer to those I actually used.
 
Keep telling yourself that the women's retreat is illegally discriminating against men. When the courts dismiss the case, or rule against the suit, you can whine even more.
This retreat was put on by the company, to facilitate access to its more senior staff, for female employees because of their sex, and denied to male employees because of their sex. I'm not saying all women's retreats are sexist. I'm saying this one in particular is obviously sexist, and illegal under the EEOC. Employers cannot provide or deny benefits to employees based on employee membership in a protected class.
 
Interesting that you see smacking down a racist policy as being a racist act.
White Supremacists often see policies designed to fight against White Supremacy as racist. It's predictable. Just like this anti-DEI nonsense. You just can't stand that people of color, and women, are given a fair chance to achieve.
 
White Supremacists often see policies designed to fight against White Supremacy as racist. It's predictable. Just like this anti-DEI nonsense. You just can't stand that people of color, and women, are given a fair chance to achieve.
Race-based admissions are racist by definition.

And again, it's no mystery why a lot of people suspect that DEI in the US is at its roots a sexist, racist, bigoted program that only pretends to be otherwise. It's no mystery, because it's exactly what you're selling in this thread.
 
You started with a misrepresentation. I assumed that your responses to me from that point forward were likely to be cut from the same cloth.


You framed it offensively, insinuating associations and ideas I don't actually hold. That's why I suggested that for clarity you should try saying something closer to what I actually said, and using words closer to those I actually used.

you’d have to point out what’s offensive about the question for me to understand what’s offensive about asking you if this case was a good example of the kind of anti dei initiatives you think are important. if the insinuation was that you’d think it’s a good example, well you kind of did think that

obviously i think it’s a pretty silly example but if me thinking something you think is important is silly is offense to you, going to have to lol and agree to disagree
 
you’d have to point out what’s offensive about the question for me to understand what’s offensive about asking you if this case was a good example of the kind of anti dei initiatives you think are important. if the insinuation was that you’d think it’s a good example, well you kind of did think that

obviously i think it’s a pretty silly example but if me thinking something you think is important is silly is offense to you, going to have to lol and agree to disagree
Don't worry about it. You're clear that it was a sexist program and should be stopped. You're clear that I am in favor of it being stopped. All's well that ends well.
 
Don't worry about it. You're clear that it was a sexist program and should be stopped. You're clear that I am in favor of it being stopped. All's well that ends well.

i’m clear that’s your thoughts on it, and i appreciate you sharing them. but are you sure? i’d apologize if i offended you accidentally. i just don’t see it.

maybe it’s a sensitive topic. i dismissed this whole dei thing is just a bunch of culture war bs until it recently intersected with some other news i follow more closely. but it’s tough to jump into a topic late and maybe i don’t appreciate how emotionally invested others may be in it, and i’ll apologize on those grounds no questions asked.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom