• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread DEI in the US

You'll have to be clearer than that. Try something closer to what I actually said, and the words I actually used.

i’m trying to apply the words you used to the example given. you seem to be saying corporate women’s retreats by an employer are illegal and that ending them would be positive. maybe you don’t think it’s a good example? otherwise i don’t know what your problem is
 
i’m trying to apply the words you used to the example given. you seem to be saying corporate women’s retreats by an employer are illegal and that ending them would be positive. maybe you don’t think it’s a good example? otherwise i don’t know what your problem is
This particular retreat facilitates interactions between women at the company, and the company's more senior people. This represents a significant benefit to career advancement, that is denied to one group of employees based on their membership in a protected class (sex). This a blatantly sexist policy. I hope this much, at least, is clear to you.
 
This particular retreat facilitates interactions between women at the company, and the company's more senior people. This represents a significant benefit to career advancement, that is denied to one group of employees based on their membership in a protected class (sex). This a blatantly sexist policy. I hope this much, at least, is clear to you.

yeah, that's fine. what i'm asking is if this is the kind of stuff you were hoping to see tackled by the government as part of the anti woke anti dei agenda?
 
yeah, that's fine. what i'm asking is if this is the kind of stuff you were hoping to see tackled by the government as part of the anti woke anti dei agenda?
Let's start with: Employer programs that confer career benefits based on membership in a protected class are unethical and should be avoided or ended. Is that clear enough?
 
Let's start with: Employer programs that confer career benefits based on membership in a protected class are unethical and should be avoided or ended. Is that clear enough?

alright, are we going to move on to answering my question at some point?
 
alright, are we going to move on to answering my question at some point?
It's not clear to me how the question you've been asking maps to anything I've actually said. I'm trying to get that map clear, before I try to answer. ETA: This is why I asked you to try using the words I wrote, and the things I actually said.
 
Last edited:
It's not clear to me how the question you've been asking maps to anything I've actually said. I'm trying to get that map clear, before I try to answer.

when you originally quoted me, my point was that i would hope this kind of stuff, the plight of the corporate man not being able to attend women's retreats creating an unfair power dynamic, is not the kind of stuff you were worried about when they made dei policy a national issue. it seems very silly. i understand that you're saying it's illegal and that should simply be enough for them to spend energy on it, for me i struggle to see why that is important to almost anyone.

so, i'm asking if you feel like it's an important issue or what you were expecting they would pursue, or a good example of what people should worry about when it comes to dei.
 
when you originally quoted me, my point was that i would hope this kind of stuff, the plight of the corporate man not being able to attend women's retreats creating an unfair power dynamic, is not the kind of stuff you were worried about when they made dei policy a national issue. it seems very silly.
I agree that it seems very silly. I was very confused when you raised this point, because it didn't really have anything to do with what I actually said, nor with the words I actually used to say it.

i understand that you're saying it's illegal and that should simply be enough for them to spend energy on it, for me i struggle to see why that is important to almost anyone.
No, you don't understand. I'm not saying it's simply enough that it's illegal. I'm saying that it is clearly sexist, and therefore clearly wrong.

so, i'm asking if you feel like it's an important issue or what you were expecting they would pursue, or a good example of what people should worry about when it comes to dei.
I think sexist programs in the workplace are indeed an important issue. I think it makes perfect sense to go after this particular program, because it is obviously and inexcusably sexist.

Do you the administration should have prioritized other obviously sexist programs, that didn't benefit women?
 
I agree that it seems very silly. I was very confused when you raised this point, because it didn't really have anything to do with what I actually said, nor with the words I actually used to say it.

oh see i think i see our confusion here. you started the exchange when you quoted me, so i thought maybe it was to address my point. now i see that’s not the case.


Do you the administration should have prioritized other obviously sexist programs, that didn't benefit women?

as i said i think it’s pretty silly. i think women’s retreats are not a big deal at all, kind of thing where if they are illegal, they shouldn’t be.

but thanks for answering anyway. just wondering what you thought, not trying to convince you otherwise
 
Why don't you ask a woman that question?
Because you raised the point. So I'm asking you. For my part, I'm pretty sure that women's retreats fall afoul of the spirit and the letter of equal opporutnity law when they are designed to provide a career benefit to women, while denying that same benefit to men because of their sex.

Again, we're brushing up against the suspicion that for some people, DEI really is about sexist, racist, and otherwise bigoted outcomes, excused under the libtard principle of "punching up" or some such similar nonsense. You yourself seem on the verge of such an equivocation, pivoting from the belief that American DEI programs are aimed at equal opportunity for all, regardless of their race, sex, religion, etc.; to a conviction that American DEI programs are and should be seeking advantage for some protected classes, and disadvantage for others.
 
Last edited:
oh see i think i see our confusion here. you started the exchange when you quoted me, so i thought maybe it was to address my point. now i see that’s not the case.
It was meant to address your point: There's a simple and straightforward reason to go after this particular program: It's obviously illegal. In addition to being blatantly sexist. So in addition to the simple justification, there's also the moral justification: Sexism is wrong. Having said as much, I felt it rendered moot your poorly-articulated strawman of a point. It seems to me you agreed about that, since instead of trying to rebut me, you tried to insinuate your strawman back into the discussion, as something I tacitly agreed with.

as i said i think it’s pretty silly.
Why?

i think women’s retreats are not a big deal at all, kind of thing where if they are illegal, they shouldn’t be.
Sexism in the workplace is a big deal to me. Giving advantages to women, while withholding those same advantages from men, because they are men, is a big deal to me. As big a deal as giving advantages to men, and withholding them from women because they are women. To me, both injustices are equally important, equally deserving of legal sanction, and equally deserving of government attention when it looks like the law has been broken.

but thanks for answering anyway. just wondering what you thought, not trying to convince you otherwise
It never occurred to me that you were trying to convince me of anything. I assumed all along your intent was to misrepresent and vilify me. Next time you're "just wondering what I thought", consider being a little more clear about what exactly you're trying to do. Paraphrasing my position in terms of your strawman is counter-productive.
 
Last edited:
Because you raised the point. So I'm asking you. For my part, I'm pretty sure that women's retreats fall afoul of the spirit and the letter of equal opporutnity law when they are designed to provide a career benefit to women, while denying that same benefit to men because of their sex.
Men already have it, and have had it for centuries.

It's about letting women have what men have always had.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom