• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump's Second Term

If I could figure it out and the American electorate couldn't, then it's the American electorate that was at fault.
That's a really stupid statement, on a number of levels. First of all, what you knew or did not know is irrelevant to what others should know. Secondly. the "American electorate" is not an individual, and you can't place blame on a collective. There are plenty of us who knew what Trump was; I grew up in NY so I certainly knew. If you wan't to criticize the American educational system, or free press, or politicians, or any number of countless targets, have at it, I'll be with you on much of it. But these blanket statements are not very insightful.
 
Oh come now, there were multiple moments in his 2016 campaign where equivalents had destroyed previous candidates runs for office. In 2016 a large section of the US public decided they would rather have a self-admitted sexual predator in the White House, because he promised to punish the people they hated.
I don't disagree with that. I'd say it was about 20-30%. How does that translate into "most" or blanket statements that the "American electorate" or "America" invited it?
 
And all far too late. The simple painful fact is that a large section of the voting public in the USA decided to ignore 2016-20, or decided Harris and Trump were no different from one another, or Harris was too uninspiring/nagging/female to be worth voting for. Protests are worthless so long as Trump and co can simply ignore them in the face of a supine Congress and Supreme Court.
Which is why the midterms (and ensuring their integrity) are so important. Trumpism *will* be crushed in the midterms, if they are preserved.
 
And all far too late. The simple painful fact is that a large section of the voting public in the USA decided to ignore 2016-20, or decided Harris and Trump were no different from one another, or Harris was too uninspiring/nagging/female to be worth voting for. Protests are worthless so long as Trump and co can simply ignore them in the face of a supine Congress and Supreme Court.
I thought you were going to write "Supine Court" as well.
 
Sanders: The American people were lied to about the war in Vietnam. We were lied to about the war in Iraq… and we are being lied to today about the war in Iran.

In the last election, Donald Trump pointed out the huge amounts of money that had been wasted in wars that should have been spent rebuilding America . He campaigned as a peace candidate. He promised no more forever wars.

He lied

 
Way too little, way too late. America knew what he was like, before they elected him the first time.

So, you're simply moving the goalposts and refusing to answer the question? Okay. I'll take that reply with all the seriousness that it deserves, then.



I'm of two minds, and it's like the response to climate change for me.

Sure, there are a lot of people who work hard on climate change, and lots of great stuff is happening, but it's a global crisis, and we should be treating it as such. At the very least, there should be something as forceful and ambitious as the Covid response.

It's the same with the current regime. Sure, people are resisting, but contrast the response in 2016, or the black demonstrations and riots in 2020. America could be doing so, so much more, but a lot of people just seem to have resigned themselves to the fact that the US is now a fascist dictatorship.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you're talking about when you invoke 2016. If you're invoking protests? There are more in Trump's second term. When you've invoked the BLM protests in 2020? That's a different enough scenario that it's problematic to compare them, but even then, the No Kings protests alone are comparable. Today has been predicted to quite potentially be the largest single protest day in the US' history, though. If you're talking about media coverage and rioting? Those are whole different beasts.

With that said, yes, you can ask for more than just protests. Things like the government shutdown to limit ICE that's going on are concrete actions that are being attempted. The courts have impeded many of the brazenly illegal things that the Trump Administration has tried to do, as well, after challenges have been put forth primarily by Democrats, even after taking into account what the Supreme Court has done to enable their criminality. Various other things can be raised, as well. What's not being done is violence, civil war, a coup, or other illegal and likely counterproductive action.

Being frustrated that things are as they are and that Trump was ever granted power in the first place is totally understandable and well warranted. That doesn't justify anything and everything.
 
Honestly, I'm not sure what you're talking about when you invoke 2016. If you're invoking protests? There are more in Trump's second term. When you've invoked the BLM protests in 2020? That's a different enough scenario that it's problematic to compare them, but even then, the No Kings protests alone are comparable. Today has been predicted to quite potentially be the largest single protest day in the US' history, though. If you're talking about media coverage and rioting? Those are whole different beasts.
Fair enough. I stand corrected.
 
Department of State
@StateDept
PRESIDENT TRUMP: NATO wasn’t there for us. We send billions of dollars to them every year to protect them. We would have always been there for them. But based on their actions, I guess we don’t have to be, do we?

Why would we be there for them if they’re not there for us?

 
In the last election, Donald Trump pointed out the huge amounts of money that had been wasted in wars that should have been spent rebuilding America . He campaigned as a peace candidate. He promised no more forever wars.
Somebody told me the President of the United States was organizing a "little excursion" to the cradle of civilization.

Sounds great, I said, count me in—wait, how much does it cost?

"There's a special excursion fare: 200 billion dollars."

200 billion dollars!!!! I can't afford that.

"Oh, that's the group rate. You don't have to pay it all yourself. If you can convince 200 million others to pay a thousand dollars apiece, then you can get in on the excursion for the bargain price of one thousand dollars."

I don't think I know 200 million people, and I'm certain I don't know 200 million rubes who would go for that.

"Alternatively, you could convince a majority of the 535 rubes in Congress."
 
Not a cult

Also liar.

RFK JR: Trump has encyclopedic molecular knowledge across a wide range of very eclectic interests—Broadway shows, golf…

One time, Trump grabbed a placemat, turned it over, took a Sharpie, and drew a perfect map of the Middle East. Then he marked the troop strength of every country along each border on that map..

 
Ships were able to move freely through the Straits of Hormuz, until the US attacked Iran at the behest of Israel. Now Iran is suggesting there will be tolls for ships to move through the Straits. Marco Rubio is now demanding that the rest of the world do something about that. NO. The US caused the problem so you idiots solve it. If that means an embarrassing back down and defeat, so be it. That Rubio is so unaware of consequences and responsibility, is staggering.
I have rarely felt hate, but by God, I seriously hate the USA. Scum.
I suggest you place your hatred on those who deserve it: Trump and the spineless MAGA Republican Party who control our government and not on the country as a whole. Remember, millions did not vote for him, detest him, and are holding "No Kings" marches against them as we speak.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom