• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread DEI in the US

I'm not the one who brought politics into it.
Correct. That was @wareyin, post #19:

 
Once again (I believe I have already said this a couple of times), Affirmative Action can be a policy that DEI incorporates, but it doesn't have to be. DEI is not Affirmative Action and the two are not freely interchangeable.
 
See the concluding chapter, "Demise of Affirmative Action in the Age of Diversity," in Terry H. Anderson, The Pursuit of Fairness: A History of Affirmative Action (2004) pp. 217–273.

is the source wikipedia cites
 
Once again (I believe I have already said this a couple of times), Affirmative Action can be a policy that DEI incorporates, but it doesn't have to be. DEI is not Affirmative Action and the two are not freely interchangeable.
I think that's right. AA is explicitly about quotas. DEI is nebulous flimflam about invisible power structures that is so stupid only those indoctrinated in college grievance courses could believe it.
 
No, and no.
The quota system was eventually shut down in favor of "goals and timetables", but it was explicitly a part of the Affirmative Action program at UC Davis, which led to the Bakke decision:

Justice Lewis Powell, who wrote the pivotal opinion in the case, struck down the affirmative action program at UC Davis’s medical school because it used a quota for minority admissions, but also upheld the constitutionality of considering race....

This article is from the Nation, which is reliably left of left of center.
 
All affirmative action is DEI. Not all DEI is affirmative action.
Bearing in mind that Affirmative action in the United StatesWP is a much broader phenomenon than racial quotas, what would you consider a good example of DEI that we would not find discussed on the affirmative action wiki? From what I can tell, DEI is basically just a rebranding of the original AA concept promulgated by JFK, but I'm happy to overcome my skepticism if we can find a few couple examples of non-AA DEI.
 
Last edited:
A poor implementation (or a misnamed programme), if it explicitly tried to uphold quotas. How long ago was that?
It is ongoing. MIT, for example, intentionally enrolls roughly equal numbers of male and female applicants despite the number of male applicants being at least double the number of females.
 
blah blah blah. We all know the biggest concern for the anti-DEI people is that is a roadblock in the path to apartheid.
 
Bearing in mind that Affirmative action in the United StatesWP is a much broader phenomenon than racial quotas, what would you consider a good example of DEI that we would not find discussed on the affirmative action wiki? From what I can tell, DEI is basically just a rebranding of the original AA concept promulgated by JFK, but I'm happy to overcome my skepticism if we can find a few couple examples of non-AA DEI.
I've already linked - several times - to the Australian Public Service diversity and inclusion policy. And yet I keep being asked to provide an example. I'm not going to link to it again. If you missed it the first three times, you're motivated to miss it the next time too.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom