• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Does 'rape culture' accurately describe (many) societies?

Alex Harvey sounds like an idiot who has never even tried to read 120 Days of Sodom. Or even If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer which in premise is somehow even more morally deranged than de Sade's opus.
Well, it rhymes with the preceding line "So take it if you need it". And I'm reasonably sure that Alex managed to relish those literary masterpieces, perhaps with a different perspective than most moralists.
 
Does lack of action to safeguard children from the internet constitute contributing to "rape culture"? If we get to a point where anyone can view almost anything on the internet, if the society is not actively promoting it in a large scale I don't think it counts.

If anything I think "Anglo" countries of the former British Empire in particular have been pretty good about women and children's welfare and putting a spotlight on sexual abuse. It's to the point where I think they even overcorrect and infantilize, desexualize young women.

But compared to Eastern Europe, East Asia, South Asia, Subsaharan Africa? Gawd no, there is hardly a problem here.
 
Does lack of action to safeguard children from the internet constitute contributing to "rape culture"? If we get to a point where anyone can view almost anything on the internet, if the society is not actively promoting it in a large scale I don't think it counts.

If anything I think "Anglo" countries of the former British Empire in particular have been pretty good about women and children's welfare and putting a spotlight on sexual abuse. It's to the point where I think they even overcorrect and infantilize, desexualize young women.

But compared to Eastern Europe, East Asia, South Asia, Subsaharan Africa? Gawd no, there is hardly a problem here.

Who's to say the availability of porn doesn't reduce the number of rapes. I'm not saying it does. Only the evidence is very weak that porn has anything to do with rape. Which is an act of violence and control more than being a sexual act.
 
I'd be interested to know people's opinion on AI generated child porn and whether they consider it harmless if no children or likenesses of real children were involved in making it. Would education be sufficient to mitigate any harm from a diet of AI generated child porn?
It's not just AI generated porn. Regular animated child porn has existed for decades. And I'd rather a person jerk off to an animation than to an actual child being harmed.

I actually know a guy who did an amount of time in prison and had his access to his own son restricted because he was found to have some of this no-child-was-harmed-in-the-production-of-this-porn porn on his computer. For the record, I have known him for many years, he absolutely loves his wife and son, and he would never in a million years do harm to anyone, let alone a child.
 
It's not just AI generated porn. Regular animated child porn has existed for decades. And I'd rather a person jerk off to an animation than to an actual child being harmed.

I actually know a guy who did an amount of time in prison and had his access to his own son restricted because he was found to have some of this no-child-was-harmed-in-the-production-of-this-porn porn on his computer. For the record, I have known him for many years, he absolutely loves his wife and son, and he would never in a million years do harm to anyone, let alone a child.
My oldest brother went to prison for sexually abusing his own children in the late 1970s. The availability of porn in 1978 was a fraction of what it is today. So I don't think that had anything to do with it.
 
It's not just AI generated porn. Regular animated child porn has existed for decades. And I'd rather a person jerk off to an animation than to an actual child being harmed.

I actually know a guy who did an amount of time in prison and had his access to his own son restricted because he was found to have some of this no-child-was-harmed-in-the-production-of-this-porn porn on his computer. For the record, I have known him for many years, he absolutely loves his wife and son, and he would never in a million years do harm to anyone, let alone a child.
How do you know that?
Gisèle Pelicot thought similarly about her husband.
 
Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that porn probably is harmful to most people, and especially to minors, but I haven't done any research. If someone asked me to defend that position, I'd have to admit I couldn't. If someone said we should institute new restrictions on porn due to its harms, I would expect them to explain the harm they allege, and show that it is real.

Meanwhile, I'm generally satisfied with the age-based restrictions we currently have. I also think porn falls under free speech, and therefore the more tight the restrictions being proposed, the more carefully we should proceed, and the more thoroughly we should examine the justification for them.

Poem wants to ban porn, but refuses to demonstrate any kind of risk that would justify this. So that's an absolute non-starter for me.
I have discussed the harms of porn (ad nauseam) earlier in the thread, so I already know it won't convince you or others....and as you allude to, it is difficult to prove.

You might also have noticed that some have had enough of the porn focus.
 
How do you know that?
Gisèle Pelicot thought similar sentiments about her husband.
Because I've known him for a very long time - more than thirty years. Granted, I can never truly know what's inside another person's mind, but in all that time I've never known him to have an aggressive thought outside roleplaying games. Also, there was never any evidence whatsoever that he had harmed a child, including his own son, who shows no signs of abuse. He was convicted of possession of a small amount of animated material and did a short time in minimum security. Obviously I can't know everything, but I can't think of anyone I know who is less likely to have deliberately harmed a real person. He's an archetypal passive nerd. He painted the front door to his house as the TARDIS. I was frankly surprised when he got married to an actual woman. I called it one of the signs of the Apocalypse. They're still married, by the way, thanks for asking.
 
Because I've known him for a very long time - more than thirty years. Granted, I can never truly know what's inside another person's mind, but in all that time I've never known him to have an aggressive thought outside roleplaying games. Also, there was never any evidence whatsoever that he had harmed a child, including his own son, who shows no signs of abuse. He was convicted of possession of a small amount of animated material and did a short time in minimum security. Obviously I can't know everything, but I can't think of anyone I know who is less likely to have deliberately harmed a real person. He's an archetypal passive nerd. He painted the front door to his house as the TARDIS. I was frankly surprised when he got married to an actual woman. I called it one of the signs of the Apocalypse. They're still married, by the way, thanks for asking.
I suppose the ultimate test would be - would someone (with such trust as you have described) leave their (or a) child in the care of such a person?
 
Last edited:
Ok - it might be worthwhile pursuing this (if you wish also):
At what point would 'yes' become 'no'?

Thousands of hours of such (no child was harmed as you said) content? Violent content?
Are you going to start answering my questions at some point?

If I had learned that he had actually harmed a child, or had been in possession of the not no-child-was-harmed kind of CSA media, that would be a hard break. Also, he would still be in prison now if that were the case. Otherwise, the media he chooses to consume in his time and on his property are his business. He doesn't care about my tastes in porn, why should I care about his?
 
Are you going to start answering my questions at some point?
You want me to but some here want me to shut up about porn. You haven't provided any evidence that Pornhub is reputable and law-abiding apart from citing their T&Cs.

You do know I could cite multiple posts earlier in the thread re the harms of porn? (And none of it would convince you - as I said, your response to Ian Critchley was evidence enough).
If I had learned that he had actually harmed a child, or had been in possession of the not no-child-was-harmed kind of CSA media, that would be a hard break. Also, he would still be in prison now if that were the case. Otherwise, the media he chooses to consume in his time and on his property are his business. He doesn't care about my tastes in porn, why should I care about his?
How about an AI fake featuring him sexually abusing a no-child-was-harmed child?
 
You want me to but some here want me to shut up about porn. You haven't provided any evidence that Pornhub is reputable and law-abiding apart from citing their T&Cs.
What other kind of evidence do you think I might be capable of having? Illegal porn is against the website's T&Cs. Is this a perfect solution? Obviously not, but they are doing what they can.

Also, I remind you that PornHub is not a producer of porn. It's an aggregator of both professional and amateur porn clips. PornHub bears no responsibility for the creation of any kind of porn, only for its distribution.

You do know I could cite multiple posts earlier in the thread re the harms of porn? (And none of it would convince you - as I said, your response to Ian Critchley was evidence enough).
Please do. I look forward to any so far unrebutted posts demonstrating specific and precise ways that legal porn has harmed adults.

How about an AI fake featuring him sexually abusing a no-child-was-harmed child?
That would be extremely libellous and very, very illegal. I would contribute to his legal team for prosecution of such a horrific crime against him. I would bear witness to his character. I would want the perpetrator to face the full force of the law.

Also, I would thank you for not making any further part of this thread about him.
 
What other kind of evidence do you think I might be capable of having? Illegal porn is against the website's T&Cs. Is this a perfect solution? Obviously not, but they are doing what they can.

Also, I remind you that PornHub is not a producer of porn. It's an aggregator of both professional and amateur porn clips. PornHub bears no responsibility for the creation of any kind of porn, only for its distribution.
Your apologia of Pornhub is staggering.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom