• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed Israel/US Attacks Iran /Yet Another Country/Iran

citation ?

I happened to be listening in yesterday to an Iranian living in the UK I think, either on CNN or BBC, a political refugee herself --- my point is, no fan of the present Mullah-fronted regime in Iran herself --- who said that Iran had not taken part in any wars of aggression after 17-something. Yes, that many years ago. And the last war Iran was part of was the Iraq invasion in the 1970s.

So yeah, no wars of aggression in actually centuries.

On the other hand, and to be fair, there's no doubt that Iran did sponsor those terrorist groups, the Houthis and the Houdinis and whatever the hell else they're called. I suppose we can't, in fairness, discount those.

My position is that Iran is not a state that can be trusted to have nukes, absolutely. But the same goes for Israel as well. So that it is rank tribalism, and nothing else --- and tribalism based on a pretty much weird conception of "tribe" at that! --- that can "justify" bombing Iran's nuclear program like this, while blithely ignoring (and maybe facilitating) Israel's actual nukes.
 
And, given that Israel was allowed to have nukes, then to destroy Iran's nuclear program basis the exact same risks that Israel also poses, if to a different set of players ---- that is completely hypocritical, and completely unprincipled.
Iran and Israel do not pose the same risks. And there is nothing hypocritical about attacking your enemies but not attacking your allies.
 
Iran and Israel do not pose the same risks.

Similar, not same. And, like I said, risks to a different set of players.


And there is nothing hypocritical about attacking your enemies but not attacking your allies.

Again, like I said: it is hypocritical and unprincipled: bar the principle of tribalism, and pragmatism-based-on-pragmatism. You seem to be saying the same thing in different words. Which is cool, as long as those taking this position own it.
 
It's not even similar. That's just delusional.

Nope. To not think that is delusional. And/or plain dishonest. Probably both.

You mean, the set of players that keep launching terrorist attacks against them?

Sure. And they might say the same about Israel.


Gee, I wonder why they're a threat to those players.

I said that Israel's nukes poses a threat to some "players", and Iran's nukes, should it get them, would pose a similar threat to a different set of players. Israel's nukes are a threat to those that are belligerent to it, and to those that Israel is belligerent towards, including Iran. And Iran's nukes are a threat to those that are belligerent to it, and to those that Iran is belligerent towards, including Israel.

Sure, Iran is a crazy country, and should not be allowed to get nukes. But equally, Israel is no paragon of restraint, and ought not to have been allowed to get nukes either.
 
Last edited:
Sure. And they might say the same about Israel.
They would be wrong.
Sure, Iran is a crazy country, and should not be allowed to get nukes. But equally, Israel is no paragon of restrain
Is it your position that Israel is just as crazy as Iran? You aren't saying so explicitly, but you certainly seem to imply that.
, and ought not to have been allowed to get nukes either.
Unless you have a method of time travel, this claim seems irrelevant to the question of whether or not we should now allow Iran to get nukes.
 
They would be wrong.

No, they wouldn't.

Is it your position that Israel is just as crazy as Iran? You aren't saying so explicitly, but you certainly seem to imply that.

Why would you think that? Given that I've very clearly stated my position, right here?

My position is that Iran is "crazier" than Israel. Relative to Iran, Israel is the sane one. But that isn't saying much, given the nature of Iran. And regardless of how Israel fares when compared with Iran on its craziness quotient, Israel itself is definitely no paragon of restraint, indeed in recent months it has proven itself to be among the more belligerent nations. Definitely not a country that can be trusted with nukes, it is exactly the kind of nation (at least with the likes of Bibi helming it) that might use it if some war that it jumps into happens not to go its way.


Unless you have a method of time travel, this claim seems irrelevant to the question of whether or not we should now allow Iran to get nukes.

It is completely relevant to the context in which I'd said it.
 
My position is that Iran is "crazier" than Israel. Relative to Iran, Israel is the sane one.
Then according to your own standard, they are not the same, and there is no logical requirement to treat them the same. And your accusations of hypocrisy ring hollow.
 
Then according to your own standard, they are not the same, and there is no logical requirement to treat them the same.

I said they're similar. So it is reasonable to treat them similarly.

And your accusations of hypocrisy ring hollow.

No, they don't. It is your desperate protestations that ring hollow.


--------------------

We could do this all day. I know you do. I'd rather not. Exit.
 
I said they're similar. So it is reasonable to treat them similarly.



No, they don't. It is your desperate protestations that ring hollow.


--------------------

We could do this all day. I know you do. I'd rather not. Exit.
So what's your actual thesis? You think Iran should be denied a nuclear weapons program, but because Israel already has a nuke you can't in good conscience argue against Iran getting one too?

You can argue against Iran getting a nuke, but due to moral equivalence between Israel and Iran, anyone who accepts Israel's nuke(s) is a hypocrite if they're against Iran having the same?

No nation with nukes has the moral standing to prevent any nation without nukes from trying to get nukes?

Are you actually going anywhere with any of this? Have you arrived at any practical conclusions? Or are you stuck in the middle of this train of this thought, with no idea of where to go next, except, "Iran aside, Israel bad"?
 
Last edited:
So what's your actual thesis? You think Iran should be denied a nuclear weapons program, but because Israel already has a nuke you can't in good conscience argue against Iran getting one too?

You can argue against Iran getting a nuke, but due to moral equivalence between Israel and Iran, anyone who accepts Israel's nuke(s) is a hypocrite if they're against Iran having the same?

No nation with nukes has the moral standing to prevent any nation without nukes from trying to get nukes?

Are you actually going anywhere with any of this? Have you arrived at any practical conclusions? Or are you stuck in the middle of this train of this thought, with no idea of where to go next, except, "Iran aside, Israel bad"?

I've already finished going where I wanted to with this. You know this.

I'll repeat: Iran crazy Allah worshiping belligerent country. Israel crazy Yahweh worshiping Bible pointing belligerent country. Nukes safe with neither. To allow one set of belligerent crazies to have nukes, while destroying the ongoing program of the other, is rank hypocrisy. It is unprincipled. Unless the principle is tribalism, and pragmatism-based-in-tribalism.

You are aware of my position. I have said as much already.

Like Z, you too can go all day with this performative bullshyttery, I know. I'd rather not. Exit.
 
If all the players are equivalent in their morals, then it seems to me proper to judge them by their actions.

Number of nations nuked by Iran to date: 0.
Number of nations nuked by Israel to date: 0.

How long has Iran been capable of nuking another nation: it hasn't been capable.
How long has Israel been capable of nuking another nation: circa 1967 by most accounts.

We have no way of knowing at this time whether Iran would use a nuke the first moment they have one. We do know Israel has had them for quite a while and have never used one. Will Iran join every other nuclear power (except the US) in having them but not using them? Or would Iran use them? Answer: TBD.

That TBD, in some peoples' opinion, is a trifle risky. They'd rather not find out the answer to that question but leave it moot.
 
If all the players are equivalent in their morals, then it seems to me proper to judge them by their actions.

Number of nations nuked by Iran to date: 0.
Number of nations nuked by Israel to date: 0.

How long has Iran been capable of nuking another nation: it hasn't been capable.
How long has Israel been capable of nuking another nation: circa 1967 by most accounts.

We have no way of knowing at this time whether Iran would use a nuke the first moment they have one. We do know Israel has had them for quite a while and have never used one. Will Iran join every other nuclear power (except the US) in having them but not using them? Or would Iran use them? Answer: TBD.

That TBD, in some peoples' opinion, is a trifle risky. They'd rather not find out the answer to that question but leave it moot.

The equation is simple.

In recent months, Israel has demonstrated that, at least when helmed by a desperate Bibi trying to sit his ass in the chair of head of state rather than in a jail cell, is willing to desperately attack other sovereign states, and genocide a portion of its citizens. It is easy to see that, if it should happen to find itself losing decisively in any of these misadventures, and, say Iran bombing it and target killing its key people including the murderous Bibi himself: then, in such a scenario, it is easy to see that Israel, particularly if helmed by a desperate Bibi, might actually unleash its nukes. It is silly to claim it wouldn't, given the desperate and reckless gambles Israel has gotten into recently.

Which is no more than Iran might have done, as well, if it did have nukes.

It is crazy to allow either belligerent nation to get nukes.

To selectively allow one to have nukes .and not the other, that is rank hypocrisy, unless one clearly owns to operating under the principle of tribalism and pragmatism-based-in-tribaliam.

(But if one does this, then one would necessarily find that Russia going for Ukraine is going by that exact principle, in considering Ukraine's growing proximity with NATO a threat.)

(So that supporting Ukraine against the marauding Putin, but at the same time supporting the marauding Bibi against Iran, that position is ...just rank tribalism, and rank law-of-jungle might-is-right. I'm surprised to see you trying to spin this, @TragicMonkey . Own that tribalism-based position plainly, and there's no arguing with that, it is what it is.)
 
The equation is simple.

In recent months, Israel has demonstrated that, at least when helmed by a desperate Bibi trying to sit his ass in the chair of head of state rather than in a jail cell, is willing to desperately attack other sovereign states, and genocide a portion of its citizens. It is easy to see that, if it should happen to find itself losing decisively in any of these misadventures, and, say Iran bombing it and target killing its key people including the murderous Bibi himself: then, in such a scenario, it is easy to see that Israel, particularly if helmed by a desperate Bibi, might actually unleash its nukes. It is silly to claim it wouldn't, given the desperate and reckless gambles Israel has gotten into recently.

It's "easy to see" many hypothetical future events. I'm not sure how much value can be attached to judgments rendered on hypothetical future possibilities, though.

Which is no more than Iran might have done, as well, if it did have nukes.

It is crazy to allow either belligerent nation to get nukes.

To selectively allow one to have nukes .and not the other, that is rank hypocrisy, unless one clearly owns to operating under the principle of tribalism and pragmatism-based-in-tribaliam.

"Allow"? Israel has nukes already. What mechanism do you propose to take them away? And shouldn't that be applied to everyone who has nukes? Obviously in an ideal world nukes would not exist, and nobody would have them. But that's not the case; we must deal with things as they are, and as they are Israel has nukes and Iran doesn't. Possession of nukes ceases to become a "should they have them" and "what should the rest of the world allow" once someone gets them; after that it's entirely a matter of "what do we do now?"

I appreciate that Santa, God, and elementary school teachers would naturally want to consider matters back to first causes and rain down moral judgments and set about equalizing all things to a level field. But since none of us are any of those personages it's otiose to continually harp on it.

(But if one does this, then one would necessarily find that Russia going for Ukraine is going by that exact principle, in considering Ukraine's growing proximity with NATO a threat.)

(So that supporting Ukraine against the marauding Putin, but at the same time supporting the marauding Bibi against Iran, that position is ...just rank tribalism, and rank law-of-jungle might-is-right.

I disagree. I think the parallel you are attempting to establish between two different situations is inapt. Neither party is attempting to invade and hold territory from the other. Lobbing weapons from a distance is something both Israel and Iran have a history of doing, both to each other and to other nations. Not the same as invasion and conquest by a long shot. Neither is seizing and occupying each other's territory.

I'm surprised to see you trying to spin this, @TragicMonkey . Own that tribalism-based position plainly, and there's no arguing with that, it is what it is.)

It's hardly being "tribalist" to believe that outside parties don't need to take a side in every conflict, and promote that side unconditionally, and excuse its faults. Iran sucks, and Israel's no better than it should be. Every nation tries to survive first, and maximize its own advantages second. At the moment (and for a while before now) these two particular nations have been in conflict because they are competitors in the same environment. Each will pursue the courses they believe appropriate to achieve their goals.

Merely pointing out that Israel has had nukes for a while and hasn't used them is hardly "spin". Unless they did nuke somewhere and managed to keep it very, very quiet. I know their intelligence services are famous but nobody's that good.
 
It's "easy to see" many hypothetical future events. I'm not sure how much value can be attached to judgments rendered on hypothetical future possibilities, though.



"Allow"? Israel has nukes already. What mechanism do you propose to take them away? And shouldn't that be applied to everyone who has nukes? Obviously in an ideal world nukes would not exist, and nobody would have them. But that's not the case; we must deal with things as they are, and as they are Israel has nukes and Iran doesn't. Possession of nukes ceases to become a "should they have them" and "what should the rest of the world allow" once someone gets them; after that it's entirely a matter of "what do we do now?"

I appreciate that Santa, God, and elementary school teachers would naturally want to consider matters back to first causes and rain down moral judgments and set about equalizing all things to a level field. But since none of us are any of those personages it's otiose to continually harp on it.



I disagree. I think the parallel you are attempting to establish between two different situations is inapt. Neither party is attempting to invade and hold territory from the other. Lobbing weapons from a distance is something both Israel and Iran have a history of doing, both to each other and to other nations. Not the same as invasion and conquest by a long shot. Neither is seizing and occupying each other's territory.



It's hardly being "tribalist" to believe that outside parties don't need to take a side in every conflict, and promote that side unconditionally, and excuse its faults. Iran sucks, and Israel's no better than it should be. Every nation tries to survive first, and maximize its own advantages second. At the moment (and for a while before now) these two particular nations have been in conflict because they are competitors in the same environment. Each will pursue the courses they believe appropriate to achieve their goals.

Merely pointing out that Israel has had nukes for a while and hasn't used them is hardly "spin". Unless they did nuke somewhere and managed to keep it very, very quiet. I know their intelligence services are famous but nobody's that good.

More spin.

1. That Israel under Bibi might use nukes if it finds itself in the position it put Iran is, is ...so completely plausible a hypothetical as to be almost fact.

2. Israel has got nukes because it was allowed to get them. To now treat them on par with nuke-wielding states like the US, and treat the ongoing program of a country like Iran as has been done, is unconsciable. Unless one's conscience operates firmly along tribal lines.

3. The US is very much an outside party here, or third party, however you've put it. Again, unless the extended tribalism thing.

4. In this respect, the equivalence with Russia is clear.

5. You're practically spelled out a doctrine based in tribalism. You just stop short of actually owning it.

A bit surprised, a bit disappointed, to see you toiling away to keep on spinning this, @TragicMonkey.

But no big deal. We both know now where the other is coming from. Not much sense in repeating ourselves ad nauseam just for appearances sake. Respectfully, exit.
 
More spin.

1. That Israel under Bibi might use nukes if it finds itself in the position it put Iran is, is ...so completely plausible a hypothetical as to be almost fact.

"So plausible it's almost fact"? Good lord, what is this messageboard about?

2. Israel has got nukes because it was allowed to get them. To now treat them on par with nuke-wielding states like the US, and treat the ongoing program of a country like Iran as has been done, is unconsciable. Unless one's conscience operates firmly along tribal lines.

I don't understand what you mean by "treat them on par with nuke-wielding states". Israel has nukes. It is a nuke-wielding state, whether you or I or anyone likes it or not. Iran is not (yet) a nuke-wielding state, whether you or I or anyone likes it or not. How it is "unconsciable" to state this? How is it "tribal" to state this?

3. The US is very much an outside party here, or third party, however you've put it. Again, unless the extended tribalism thing.

I agree, the US is a foreign nation to both Israel and Iran. Like those two nations, and every other nation, the US pursues the courses it thinks are most advantageous for itself. At the moment the US gets more from supporting Israel than not supporting Israel, and from exaggerating the degree of that support. But I'm not in charge of the US, and have no more power than any other voter here, so whether I like this state of affairs or not doesn't matter.

4. In this respect, the equivalence with Russia is clear.

I disagree. The US and Israel are not the same "tribe", and I don't even support the US unconditionally.

5. You're practically spelled out a doctrine based in tribalism. You just stop short of actually owning it.

I don't think I do. Where have I argued that the Israel, or my own country the US, is correct in its actions? I'm just saying each nation takes the actions it thinks most advantageous for themselves. I didn't say I think that's necessarily ethically good, or even that I agree that the current actions being taken actually are advantageous for each nation; those in power in each nation just think they are. They didn't happen to ask me, but I wouldn't expect them to.

A bit surprised, a bit disappointed, to see you toiling away to keep on spinning this, @TragicMonkey.

Again, I don't think I'm "spinning" anything. Why would you be surprised that I don't take sides in a conflict that doesn't actually affect me much, and over which I have no influence or power even if it did? To me the Iran vs Israel thing is like watching two bears fight each other on a nature documentary: sure, I could take sides and yell at the TV that I want one particular bear to triumph over the other, but why should I? I can't influence the outcome even if I wanted to, and they neither know nor care that I exist at all much less which of them I prefer.

But no big deal. We both know now where the other is coming from. Not much sense in repeating ourselves ad nauseam just for appearances sake. Respectfully, exit.
I really don't think you know "where I'm coming from" at all.
 
Ok, one last time.

"So plausible it's almost fact"? Good lord, what is this messageboard about?

Informed conjecture is not outside the scope of this message board. You said that Israel has a record of never using nukes despite having them forever. That's spin, because Bibi's recent reckless (mis)adventurism makes very plausible to ...conjecture, with a great deal of confidence, that should the war had gone completely differently (for instance, with the US not ponying up every time, and also Iran proving to be more than just a blustering fool of a country as far as its tactical moves in recent years), and should in conventional warfare terms Israel found itself in the same position as it put Iran: then Bibi might well have unleashed Israel's covert-but-everyone-knows nukes. (And it is quibbling with semantics to go to town with my admittedly technically incorrect use of "fact", albeit I did qualify it with an "almost" --- my meaning cannot have been unclear basis that wording.)

I don't understand what you mean by "treat them on par with nuke-wielding states". Israel has nukes. It is a nuke-wielding state, whether you or I or anyone likes it or not. Iran is not (yet) a nuke-wielding state, whether you or I or anyone likes it or not. How it is "unconsciable" to state this? How is it "tribal" to state this?

Giving to Israel the leeway, in terms of having allowed it to develop nukes, that Iran was not given, is without a shadow of a doubt tribal. Should Iran also have had nukes, then Bibi would not have dared to unleash his murderous attacks on Iran --- that also is almost-fact, take how you will that phrasing. Why was Iran not also given that same leeway. (By the way, just to clearly spell out my position, for what that is worth: If I were made king of the world, or Prez, and had to decide whether to let Iran keep nukes or not, then, well certainly I'd have reined in Israel first and foremost, but leaving that aside, and focusing only and solely on the Iran nukes question: I too would have done what I could to contain their nukes, and if truly given evidence of imminent bombs --- which was not the case here, incidentally --- then I too may well have chosen to remove them. But that would have been a completely tribal-morality-based decision. You asked what kind of a message board this is. Surely, if anything, it is one where fig leaves to hide behind are torn away. Tribalism is a thing, particularly in international affairs (as opposed to personal affairs, where one has greater leeway to do what one thinks morally right). Let us not dress us this purely tribal-morality inspired decision, which is morally no different at all than what Russia has done and is doing, behind fig leaves.)


I agree, the US is a foreign nation to both Israel and Iran. Like those two nations, and every other nation, the US pursues the courses it thinks are most advantageous for itself. At the moment the US gets more from supporting Israel than not supporting Israel, and from exaggerating the degree of that support. But I'm not in charge of the US, and have no more power than any other voter here, so whether I like this state of affairs or not doesn't matter.



I disagree. The US and Israel are not the same "tribe", and I don't even support the US unconditionally.

Indeed. Like I said, even as tribalism goes, this is a pretty weird kind of tribalism, this unconditional support of most everything the crazy psychopath helming Israel thinks of doing. Again like I said, extended tribalism kind of covers it.


I don't think I do. Where have I argued that the Israel, or my own country the US, is correct in its actions? I'm just saying each nation takes the actions it thinks most advantageous for themselves. I didn't say I think that's necessarily ethically good

Right, as long as you own that --- as you have clearly done just now --- there is nothing to argue about. Tribal morality, and pragmatism based in tribalism. Fine, it is what it is.


, or even that I agree that the current actions being taken actually are advantageous for each nation; those in power in each nation just think they are. They didn't happen to ask me, but I wouldn't expect them to.



Again, I don't think I'm "spinning" anything.

I'm afraid you are. Not to make a laundry list of I-said-you-said's, but just to take one clear instance, your invoking Israel's non-use of nukes over these decades --- given that Israel has never been pushed close to the edge in these years, and given Bibi's desperate (mis)adventurism in recent months surely makes it far more likely than not that he'd use those nukes if Iran were able to do to Israel what Israel actually did to Iran. That's spin, plain and simple. And I note that you still don't acknowledge this.

(Apologies, don't mean to make this rude. But I don't know how else to say this.)


Why would you be surprised that I don't take sides in a conflict that doesn't actually affect me much

Not what I meant. I meant I was surprised at your spinning this, and keeping on spinning this, and the ...well, the not fully completely straight attitude in discussing this that that implies. I was surprised at your resorting to doing this, as I was not, given past experience, at some others doing this.


, and over which I have no influence or power even if it did? To me the Iran vs Israel thing is like watching two bears fight each other on a nature documentary: sure, I could take sides and yell at the TV that I want one particular bear to triumph over the other, but why should I? I can't influence the outcome even if I wanted to, and they neither know nor care that I exist at all much less which of them I prefer.


I really don't think you know "where I'm coming from" at all.

I'm sorry, but I kind of think I do.

But again, not to make this unnecessarily contentious. We're just repeating ourselves at this point. Won't revisit this again --- respectfully, exit. Cheers
 
Ok, one last time.



Informed conjecture is not outside the scope of this message board. You said that Israel has a record of never using nukes despite having them forever. That's spin

It's true, isn't it? Does Israel have nukes, yes or no? Has Israel used nukes, yes or no? It's true whether you like that or not. That's how truth works. It's supposed to be a value, isn't it? Respecting the truth?

Do you like Mike Tyson? He's good with pigeons. That's a true fact. He's also a rapist. That's a true fact. You might not care that he's good with pigeons, or think it's of any consequence at all compared to being a rapist. But it's dishonest to deny that he's good with pigeons simply because you don't want him to have any good points.

, because Bibi's recent reckless (mis)adventurism makes very plausible to ...conjecture, with a great deal of confidence, that should the war had gone completely differently (for instance, with the US not ponying up every time, and also Iran proving to be more than just a blustering fool of a country as far as its tactical moves in recent years), and should in conventional warfare terms Israel found itself in the same position as it put Iran: then Bibi might well have unleashed Israel's covert-but-everyone-knows nukes. (And it is quibbling with semantics to go to town with my admittedly technically incorrect use of "fact", albeit I did qualify it with an "almost" --- my meaning cannot have been unclear basis that wording.)

Plausible, confidence, should, might well....hypothetical, speculation, fiction. Which is fine as creative writing but you shouldn't expect other people to agree it makes powerful points in favor of your arguments about reality.

Giving to Israel the leeway, in terms of having allowed it to develop nukes,

"Having allowed it"? Did anyone know about it at the time, and could they have stopped them? I thought it was done in secret and a fait accompli. If they didn't have them now and were pursuing them then yes, other nations --including my own-- might well find it to their own advantage to stop them. But that's true of every nation with nukes, isn't it? Each nation's ideal situation would be for it alone to have nukes. Obviously that's not how it worked out.

that Iran was not given, is without a shadow of a doubt tribal. Should Iran also have had nukes, then Bibi would not have dared to unleash his murderous attacks on Iran --- that also is almost-fact, take how you will that phrasing.

I wonder why it's not working the other way? Israel does have nukes, yet Iran dares to unleash its own murderous attacks on Israel. It's almost as if Iran knows Israel won't use its nukes.

Why was Iran not also given that same leeway.

Obviously it is "given that same leeway" since it's attacking a nuke-holding nation, and isn't being nuked.

(By the way, just to clearly spell out my position, for what that is worth: If I were made king of the world, or Prez, and had to decide whether to let Iran keep nukes or not, then, well certainly I'd have reined in Israel first and foremost, but leaving that aside, and focusing only and solely on the Iran nukes question: I too would have done what I could to contain their nukes, and if truly given evidence of imminent bombs --- which was not the case here, incidentally --- then I too may well have chosen to remove them. But that would have been a completely tribal-morality-based decision.

Not necessarily: you could hold a moral position that such deadly weapons are abhorrent and should be restricted to the utmost minimum number of holders as possible. In which case you'd oppose absolutely anybody getting nukes who doesn't already have them, and regret that anybody already has them. That wouldn't be "tribal morality", it would be an idealistic opposition to a class of weapons-- hindered by the unfortunate fact that some already have those weapons and you can't take them away now.

You asked what kind of a message board this is. Surely, if anything, it is one where fig leaves to hide behind are torn away. Tribalism is a thing, particularly in international affairs (as opposed to personal affairs, where one has greater leeway to do what one thinks morally right). Let us not dress us this purely tribal-morality inspired decision, which is morally no different at all than what Russia has done and is doing, behind fig leaves.)

You seem wedded to your theory that these two conflicts are "tribal", and everything mentioned about either must necessarily also be "tribal" and taking a side. I disagree. It's not "purely tribal-morality" to object to one nation seizing territory from another by force -- that's a principle. Which you can see if the person holding it doesn't excuse the activity if favored parties do it. Which I don't, actually: if Israel seizes territory from Iran and tries to hold it that would be, in my opinion, a bad thing. And vice versa for Iran. Russia has done that in Ukraine and thus I condemn them for it. Should Ukraine reaquire its territory and then go further, seizing Russian territory that was never Ukrainian I'd condemn that, too.

Indeed. Like I said, even as tribalism goes, this is a pretty weird kind of tribalism, this unconditional support of most everything the crazy psychopath helming Israel thinks of doing. Again like I said, extended tribalism kind of covers it.

Right, as long as you own that --- as you have clearly done just now --- there is nothing to argue about. Tribal morality, and pragmatism based in tribalism. Fine, it is what it is.

How is pointing out that Israel hasn't nuked anybody "unconditional support of most everything the crazy psychopath helming Israel thinks of doing"? Put down your partisanship for a moment and really, really think about that. All I said was Israel has nukes and hasn't used them.

You're the one being "tribal" by assuming anything said about Israel that isn't to its detriment must necessarily be partisan support for it. Mike Tyson is good with pigeons...OMG I must support rape!

I'm afraid you are. Not to make a laundry list of I-said-you-said's, but just to take one clear instance, your invoking Israel's non-use of nukes over these decades

Heh. You can't "make a laundry list" because that's actually the only thing I've said about the conflict.


--- given that Israel has never been pushed close to the edge in these years

Has it? I think Israel's had worse crises with its neighbors since 1967 than what's going on now.

, and given Bibi's desperate (mis)adventurism in recent months surely makes it far more likely than not that he'd use those nukes if Iran were able to do to Israel what Israel actually did to Iran. That's spin, plain and simple. And I note that you still don't acknowledge this.

(Apologies, don't mean to make this rude. But I don't know how else to say this.)

...you want me to "acknowledge" your interpretation is correct of what might happen in a speculative scenario you've created? And not doing so is "spin"? What value would drawing judgments on creative fiction hold? I don't really see the point in that. Which is why I've confined my remarks to actual reality. Which is: Israel has nukes, Israel hasn't used nukes. Ditto France, if you don't count testing. And China, and Russia, and even Pakistan.

You're uncomfortable with the actual true fact in actual reality that Israel has nukes and hasn't used them. Why? Because it's a point in favor of Israel not being as madly evil and evilly mad as you believe it to be. Ah, but in a creative writing exercise you can easily imagine a scenario in which Israel does use nukes! How wicked of them! My not condemning them for that is clearly "spin"!

Not what I meant. I meant I was surprised at your spinning this, and keeping on spinning this, and the ...well, the not fully completely straight attitude in discussing this that that implies. I was surprised at your resorting to doing this, as I was not, given past experience, at some others doing this.

What does anyone else reading this think? Am I engaging in pro-Israeli "spin" with my posts in this thread?

I'm sorry, but I kind of think I do.

Yeah, I can see that you think you do. While I think you're so far gone in siding against Israel that you have lost the required detachment to see clearly.

But again, not to make this unnecessarily contentious. We're just repeating ourselves at this point. Won't revisit this again --- respectfully, exit. Cheers

When has that ever worked? The only way you're getting the last word is to flounce. I don't care much about Iran or Israel, but I'm not going to let anyone accuse me falsely of distorting truth by pointing out true facts: Israel has nukes. Israel hasn't used nukes.

Hell, I actively hate Russia, there's a conflict I actually do care about, and I have zero problems acknowledging the exact same facts: Russia has nukes, Russia hasn't used nukes. That's a point in their favor, even though they suck horribly and are awful, and are enemies of my own country. Which itself has nukes, and has used them. Which is a point against my own "tribe".

I'm not being tribal. (Although I do have a kick-ass "tribal" tattoo, which was the style of the time.)
 
If all the players are equivalent in their morals, then it seems to me proper to judge them by their actions.

Number of nations nuked by Iran to date: 0.
Number of nations nuked by Israel to date: 0.

How long has Iran been capable of nuking another nation: it hasn't been capable.
How long has Israel been capable of nuking another nation: circa 1967 by most accounts.

We have no way of knowing at this time whether Iran would use a nuke the first moment they have one. We do know Israel has had them for quite a while and have never used one. Will Iran join every other nuclear power (except the US) in having them but not using them? Or would Iran use them? Answer: TBD.

That TBD, in some peoples' opinion, is a trifle risky. They'd rather not find out the answer to that question but leave it moot.
Israel has also, never that I'm aware of, threatened anyone with their nukes to get their way. That is the most plausible problem with Iran getting nukes is they will use them as a bargaining chip to be allowed to do whatever evil ◊◊◊◊ they want while inferring a nice nuclear retaliation if they don't get their way. The 2nd most plausible scenario is them smuggling one to the Houthi's, Hezzbolah etc.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom