arthwollipot
Limerick Purist Pronouns: He/Him
Exactly. Personally I draw the line at financially contributing to the toxic person by buying their work. When they're dead it's a lot easier.It's a personal choice.
Exactly. Personally I draw the line at financially contributing to the toxic person by buying their work. When they're dead it's a lot easier.It's a personal choice.
Just to be clear, I was making a hypothetical scenario. I have no basis for saying that Anthony and his droogs did commit such ultra-violence and highly likely that they never did.
Yep, Ernest Hemingway would say, if you're stuck, write the truest sentence you know, and the rest will follow.For writing advice, I've always heard "Write what you know." That made me worry about Stephen King for a while.
That bit in Sandman where artists gain inspiration by kidnapping a Muse and raping her seems a little on the nose these days.Yep, Ernest Hemingway would say, if you're stuck, write the truest sentence you know, and the rest will follow.
Which of Gaiman's sentences ring true? I've only read one of his books, Stardust (borrowed from a library).
I think what Stephen King knows best is the human condition. It's what allows him to write such engaging characters, and such compelling visions of the mundane and familiar of our daily lives. It's also what allows him to imagine the most horrific scenarios, and tell us how they would play out in a way that is as relatably human as it is absolutely terrifying.For writing advice, I've always heard "Write what you know." That made me worry about Stephen King for a while.
Well, plenty of his characters are writers and alcoholics, and the stories are often set in Maine. He absolutely does write about what he knows.For writing advice, I've always heard "Write what you know." That made me worry about Stephen King for a while.
Indeed. His withdrawl from sale of his 1977 book "Rage", about a school shooting, pretty much demonstrates that. I can't see Gaiman doing something like this under similar circumstances.I would say that for all Gaiman's knack for the fantastical, King is by far the better writer. Not least because King seems to have been born with an innate empathy that Gaiman apparently lacks.
Stephen King is kind of Exhibit A for why that advice is facile. He also writes about haunted hotels, murderous ghost twins, ruthless killers, cynical bible salesmen, vengeful gypsies, reluctant psychics, soulless killers, and comically evil space aliens.Well, plenty of his characters are writers and alcoholics, and the stories are often set in Maine. He absolutely does write about what he knows.
And Stanley Kubrick withdrew the movie, A Clockwork Orange, after some incidents in which people emulated the droogs (which makes a nice call-back to what we were talking about earlier).Indeed. His withdrawl from sale of his 1977 book "Rage", about a school shooting, pretty much demonstrates that. I can't see Gaiman doing something like this under similar circumstances.
Hence alfaniner's earlier joke.Stephen King is kind of Exhibit A for why that advice is facile. He also writes about haunted hotels, murderous ghost twins, ruthless killers, cynical bible salesmen, vengeful gypsies, reluctant psychics, soulless killers, and comically evil space aliens.
I'm not sure exactly who that was, but I think I have heard of it. I do remember a Key & Peele skit about something like that. I don't want to derail, but here it is.@Rolfe, yes, it makes a difference if we think that the art is an actual reflection of some kind of odious behaviour. There has recently been a case of a hip hop artist whose own lyrics were used as evidence of murder as apparently the artist was specifically bragging about committing it.
That bit in Sandman where artists gain inspiration by kidnapping a Muse and raping her seems a little on the nose these days.
I think this is less a case of "write what you know" and more a case of "the artist informs their art".
It does make that Sandman plotline where authors are getting their prize-winning stories by raping a captive Muse hit a little differently though.
locusmag.com
Will be much more difficult to win any lawsuit here in NZ. Pavlovich would have to prove her allegations were true "both in substance and in fact"Update:
![]()
Judge Dismisses Gaiman Lawsuit - Locus
A Wisconsin judge has dismissed the lawsuit filed by Scarlett Pavlovich against Neil Gaiman and his estranged spouse Amanda Palmer, with charges including human trafficking, assault and battery, infliction of emotional distress, and negligence, on procedural grounds. The judge writes that while...locusmag.com
"A Wisconsin judge has dismissed the lawsuit filed by Scarlett Pavlovich against Neil Gaiman and his estranged spouse Amanda Palmer [...] on procedural grounds."
He says:
"The only connection that Wisconsin or the United States has with this lawsuit is that Gaiman has a residence in this state and he may live here currently. […] Under these circumstances, it is clear that New Zealand is the more appropriate forum for resolving this dispute, so the court will dismiss the case without prejudice. If Pavlovich sues Gaiman in New Zealand, and he refuses to accept service there, Pavlovich may move to reopen this case."
Why post a lying screed from a manosphere grifter?![]()
The Neil Gaiman Allegations Are Over, So Why The Media Silence?
For many who have been following closely, the case against Neil Gaiman has essentially come to nothing - and yet, this is seriously out of sync with the mass media and what the general public thinks.technopathology.substack.com