• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

General UK politics VIII - The Last Tory

He was quite right, in power after 14 years, there needs to be discipline from the start.
 
Labour should offer the Bibby Stockholm to the Conservative Party for their conference
 
7 Labour MP's have had their whip suspended, after they voted against the government to remove the two child benefit cap. Most notable of them is the former shadow chancellor John McDonnell.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ld-benefit-cap-in-first-rebellion-for-starmer

And while I can appreciate the concern over child poverty going along with yet another political stunt by the SNP was a stupid thing to do.

He was quite right, in power after 14 years, there needs to be discipline from the start.

Why is he keeping a two-child benefit cap? I don’t blame the Labour MPs for voting their conscience on this.
 
Why is he keeping a two-child benefit cap? I don’t blame the Labour MPs for voting their conscience on this.

I don't think he is. He wants it to be a Labour policy, if at all, but after due thought and costing rather than having a SNP idea zooming through. Wouldn't surprise me to see some version of the idea passed later on.
 
I don't think he is. He wants it to be a Labour policy, if at all, but after due thought and costing rather than having a SNP idea zooming through. Wouldn't surprise me to see some version of the idea passed later on.

If that’s true, I would hope he had communicated that to the party. Now, it might not surprise me if he HAD done that and John McConnell tried to virtue signal anyway, but I don’t see anyone saying that. Instead I see some Labour MPs saying they voted with the government even though they disagree. If he had been clearer he might not have needed to make it a three-line whip.
 
Government to appoint corruption commissioner 'within weeks'

Can I nominate Ian Hislop?
 
I don't think he is. He wants it to be a Labour policy, if at all, but after due thought and costing rather than having a SNP idea zooming through. Wouldn't surprise me to see some version of the idea passed later on.

My understanding is that it'll probably be part of their plan to reduce child poverty and will be looked at once the highest priority stuff is sorted.
 
I’m glad King Charles has been given an wxtra £54 million pay rise. Hopefully he’ll be able to afford that roomier golden carriage he’s always wanted, for when he‘s due to make a speech about child poverty.
 
Why is he keeping a two-child benefit cap? I don’t blame the Labour MPs for voting their conscience on this.

Because the vote in question was essentially a SNP stunt, adding an amendment to the bill on the King's Speech, rather than a serious vote on the actual removal of the 2 child cap. The wording of the amendment did not include actually removing the cap, rather "deploring" that a proposal to remove the cap wasn't in the King's Speech.
 
If that’s true, I would hope he had communicated that to the party. Now, it might not surprise me if he HAD done that and John McConnell tried to virtue signal anyway, but I don’t see anyone saying that. Instead I see some Labour MPs saying they voted with the government even though they disagree. If he had been clearer he might not have needed to make it a three-line whip.

The latest word from Starmer is that he is thinking about considering looking into putting together a committee to study the matter of looking into the feasibility of considering the possibility of hoping that the cap may at some future date could be considered for removal.
 
The latest word from Starmer is that he is thinking about considering looking into putting together a committee to study the matter of looking into the feasibility of considering the possibility of hoping that the cap may at some future date could be considered for removal.
:rolleyes:
 
The latest word from Starmer is that he is thinking about considering looking into putting together a committee to study the matter of looking into the feasibility of considering the possibility of hoping that the cap may at some future date could be considered for removal.

So much different to the Tories.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom