• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What would you consider a major "culture war" battleground?

Didn't you say that you're writing an academic paper on the damage "woke" is doing to academia? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I have co-authored several articles and book chapters on the harms being done by Critical Social Justice ideology (i.e., wokism), but none of that work has been funded.
 
I have co-authored several articles and book chapters on the harms being done by Critical Social Justice ideology (i.e., wokism), but none of that work has been funded.
Where have they been published?

Sorry for getting all inquisitive all of a sudden, but I've been wanting to ask you for more details about your work for some time. Please understand that I ask out of curiosity.
 
Where have they been published?

Sorry for getting all inquisitive all of a sudden, but I've been wanting to ask you for more details about your work for some time. Please understand that I ask out of curiosity.


Your question is entirely reasonable. There was a time I would have happily answered it. Unfortunately, as I have learned the hard way, I must keep my online activities separate from my professional activities.
 
Your question is entirely reasonable. There was a time I would have happily answered it. Unfortunately, as I have learned the hard way, I must keep my online activities separate from my professional activities.
Okay, you're entitled to that. I won't ask again.
 
Media sources. The right wing will use anything that suits their purposes, from The Guardian to Breitbart whereas the left wing only want their information from "approved" sources with the caveat that anything outside those approved sources just has to be fake news.
 
Funny culture war things in the American west:

Wolf reintroduction, and prairie dogs.

Liberals love the wolf reintroduction and happily tolerate prairie dogs in and around towns, conservatives hate both with a passion and would happily consider driving prairie dogs to extinction.

Opinions on traffic roundabouts/circles are fall along lib/con lines. People in my hometown really do consider them to be communist.
 
I have not seen the traffic circle debate politicized around here, but maybe I just am not tuned to it. In several local towns, where roundabouts have been added, traffic flow has been considerably improved. A famous four way stop in Manchester, long dubbed "dysfunction junction" is vastly better as a roundabout.

This is, of course, a small sample, as the places I'm looking at are intersections in small towns, where stop signs tend to be chaotic at high traffic times, and stop lights delay everyone in light traffic times.
 
I have not seen the traffic circle debate politicized around here, but maybe I just am not tuned to it. In several local towns, where roundabouts have been added, traffic flow has been considerably improved.

They work well here too, but are often unpopular with conservatives anyway. Too new, too European. Feels like communism to old midwestern America. It's just not the old 'Mercan way of doing an intersection.
 
They work well here too, but are often unpopular with conservatives anyway. Too new, too European. Feels like communism to old midwestern America. It's just not the old 'Mercan way of doing an intersection.
Oh I have no doubt that is true in many places, and would be true even if it were conspicuously better and even if some of the protesters had crashed their cars at the four way stops before. But, thankfully, they either aren't numerous around here or I'm deaf to them.

But then again, I live in Vermont and some things are just different here. I mean, here we are in a town that consistently votes Republican, including Trump, but at the same time had a couple of years ago as its annual Town Report poster citizen the gay garden center owner, and last year joined the 100 percent of Vermont towns that voted in favor of the women's rights amendment. Vermonters like octopuses ooze out of the edges of their compartments.
 
Numbers don‘t necessary matter. Influence does. Only about 5% of Americans see the world through the lens of Critical Social Justice ideology (i.e., are „woke“), but they have effected a cultural revolution.
Interesting. Many people tell me that all liberals are 'woke' (apparently it's in their genes or something). Now I find out it's only 5%? Somebody's lying.
 
Interesting. Many people tell me that all liberals are 'woke' (apparently it's in their genes or something). Now I find out it's only 5%? Somebody's lying.

I have no idea if 5% is correct or not..But personally, I wouldn't describe myself as "woke', but certainly would consider myself "liberal". There's definitely a statistically siginifcant gap there.

The fact that the word liberal has become essentially a dereogtive word is one of the more bizarre features of American English imo.
 
I have no idea if 5% is correct or not..But personally, I wouldn't describe myself as "woke', but certainly would consider myself "liberal". There's definitely a statistically siginifcant gap there.

The fact that the word liberal has become essentially a dereogtive word is one of the more bizarre features of American English imo.
The word "woke" is so flexible and has become such political shorthand that it doesn't really have any meaning anyway. The difference between little endians and big endians has more substance.
 
Interesting. Many people tell me that all liberals are 'woke' (apparently it's in their genes or something). Now I find out it's only 5%? Somebody's lying.

Contrary to woke deniers, "woke" is well defined. "Woke" means believing in the ideology of Critical Social Justice. That's a pretty small percentage of the population, although due to their vociferousness, especially on social media, they appear to be a larger group than they are.

I would say that liberals and wokes (who like to call themselves "progressives," ironically enough) are mutually exclusive groups.
 
Contrary to woke deniers, "woke" is well defined. "Woke" means believing in the ideology of Critical Social Justice. That's a pretty small percentage of the population, although due to their vociferousness, especially on social media, they appear to be a larger group than they are.

I would say that liberals and wokes (who like to call themselves "progressives," ironically enough) are mutually exclusive groups.

Right. Woke really just means illiberal.
 
That would be all very well if literally any other person who used the term agreed with you.

That’s nonsense, and you know it. The people behind „woke kindergarten“ aren’t liberals. The people who ware doing away with advanced math classes to supposedly improve social justice aren’t liberal.

Examples aside, I didn’t make that definition up; I quoted it from other liberals.
 
It’s currently the dominant form of leftist illiberalism in the West.
Note that Trausti agreed with you while actually providing a different definition from yours. "Illiberal" doesn't mean the same thing as "believing in the ideology of Critical Social Justice".
 
Contrary to woke deniers, "woke" is well defined. "Woke" means believing in the ideology of Critical Social Justice. That's a pretty small percentage of the population, although due to their vociferousness, especially on social media, they appear to be a larger group than they are.

I would say that liberals and wokes (who like to call themselves "progressives," ironically enough) are mutually exclusive groups.

Critical Social Justice?

Never heard the term. It sounds like you made it up out of Critical Race Theory and Social Justice, two of your favourite topics.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom