• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What would you consider a major "culture war" battleground?

I'll go on record as noping this one; no state will pass legislation designed to roll back Griswold or Eisenstadt nor will the cultural movement to make this happen gain traction outside of KofC meetups.

In red states the law is trending towards the SBC & RC's extreme position, but it seems hasty to generalize from there to all 50. It's at least conceivable that the blue states might trend toward the NARAL position now that Roe has been struck down.

I thought this subject was the battleground. In a battleground it's usual for one side to lose, but the battle is still fought. And if the battle is not a rout, the loser may end up negotiating some lesser advantage. We see that a little now in the Ukraine war, where the compromise position some advocate is, essentially, for Russia to win what it wanted in the first place. I think a lot of these issues are being agitated for, in part to move the so-called center further to the right.
 
I thought this subject was the battleground. In a battleground it's usual for one side to lose, but the battle is still fought. And if the battle is not a rout, the loser may end up negotiating some lesser advantage. We see that a little now in the Ukraine war, where the compromise position some advocate is, essentially, for Russia to win what it wanted in the first place. I think a lot of these issues are being agitated for, in part to move the so-called center further to the right.
I just don't think birth control is a serious cultural battleground; public opinion polls are fairly lopsided.
 
This one comes as something of a surprise.

I've heard of MAPs advocacy but I've yet to see those folks gain any traction in the mainstream.

It's out there and it makes a fair bit of sense as the next cause. Who would have predicted puberty blockers for kids would be a big issue 15 years ago?
 
I just don't think birth control is a serious cultural battleground; public opinion polls are fairly lopsided.

Like public opinion matters, public opinion is lopsided on letting people who have had a spontaneous abortion get medical one before sepsis sets in but we are getting laws passed to prevent that.
 
I just don't think birth control is a serious cultural battleground; public opinion polls are fairly lopsided.


Numbers don‘t necessary matter. Influence does. Only about 5% of Americans see the world through the lens of Critical Social Justice ideology (i.e., are „woke“), but they have effected a cultural revolution.
 
Last edited:
Post #48 - Those dastardly right-wing activists don't care about the polls.

Post #49 - Those dastardly left-wing activists don't care about the polls.

In both cases, I remain skeptical. Cultural revolutions require popular buy-in at some point in order for the new ideas to achieve fixation in the meme pool.
 
Last edited:
I just don't think birth control is a serious cultural battleground; public opinion polls are fairly lopsided.

That's not how culture wars work. You don't frame it as "do you think women should have easy access to birth control". You frame it as "do you agree with the Democrats that preteen girls should be able to get birth control without their parents' knowledge?!?!?!"
 
Post #48 - Those dastardly right-wing activists don't care about the polls.

Post #49 - Those dastardly left-wing activists don't care about the polls.

In both cases, I remain skeptical. Cultural revolutions require popular buy-in at some point in order for the new ideas to achieve fixation in the meme pool.

USA politics is skewed due to our primary system and only having 2 viable parties. Even in the more right leaning states the majority of people are very much pro-birth control access rights. But is that true for the people who vote in the primary? So which is the GOP politician in say Louisiana more afraid of? The general election where the majority of his electorate thinks along he lines of: The worst Republican is better than the best Democrat, or is he more afraid of getting primary'd by someone even more rabidly right wing?

Does the opposite happen in liberal enclaves, mostly at the municipal level? Yes I'm sure it does too. This is how we are increasingly getting laws and policies that are quite unpopular with the masses. If every state had a referendum on abortion it'd likely be legal to viability in 45 or so states. I mean look at Kansas.
 
Last edited:
That's not how culture wars work. You don't frame it as "do you think women should have easy access to birth control". You frame it as "do you agree with the Democrats that preteen girls should be able to get birth control without their parents' knowledge?!?!?!"
Imma put you down for "preteen access to birth control" as a major culture war issue.
 
This is how we are increasingly getting laws and policies that are quite unpopular with the masses.
Culture war, by definition, is about winning over the minds of the masses. It is possible for the political or judicial process to be way ahead of the masses, or way behind them, depending on the issue and what we would consider an improvement.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom