• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Transwomen are not Women - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideally an actual trans person and not yet another "I am the Lorax for the trans, it's complicated, stop asking."

Beyond that I'll settle for anyone who can actually in clear normal human English answer a single question with their own actual opinion and not "Well the chart says...."

Fair enough, but from what I recall your question is effectively "how do you square the Trans circle?"

And the answer is that you can't because the Trans position seems to involve ideology taking precedence over science, and feelings taking precedence over fact.

It's illogical, Captain.
 
Fair enough, but from what I recall your question is effectively "how do you square the Trans circle?"

And the answer is that you can't because the Trans position seems to involve ideology taking precedence over science, and feelings taking precedence over fact.

It's illogical, Captain.

Which is my entire purpose here has been to bring us out of the weeds of terminology and semantics and categorizing to a more practical, functional "what do you functionally want."

"I define as a woman so it's my right for you to literally inside your head categorizing me as a woman" is beyond nonsensical. I'm done talking about gender souls and sex horoscopes. I'm done going around the room and asking the side that thinks we have four fingers and a thumb and the side that thinks we have five fingers to count their fingers again.

And again this why I'm so big on the "If you can't at least TRY to describe what you're talking about without just self defining it you're wasting our time" thing. If your argument is just a circular "Well I define a woman as this so therefor I get to be anywhere women are" you aren't making an argument, you're defining yourself as correct.

Person A is a biological male with a penis. One day this person identifies as a woman. What changes? What am I expected to do differently to this person? I don't treat men and women differently about social things and you can't change biology by fiat. The magical third axis between biological sex and social gender roles doesn't exist and renders all of this pointless.

It's so goddamn frustrating that we're this deep into the discussion and that hasn't been answered or even really addressed, as if its some minor side detail.
 
Last edited:
It began when some wealthy people gave a lot of money to organisations to campaign for 'trans rights', where 'trans rights' means promoting a set of ideological beliefs that cannot be questioned, because dissent is transphobia. Those include the belief that sex is a spectrum or social construct and can be replaced by self-chosen gender identity, that children can choose their sex/gender as soon as they can speak, and that if a person's sexual characteristics conflict with their self-identified sex then this is in effect an intersex condition that it is medically necessary to correct if they wish, even if they have no dysphoria.

The organisations promoting this expended the authority gained in earlier times when they genuinely campaigned for civil rights. Lots of people went along with it because they just assumed that anything promoted by these organisations must be good, and anyone who criticises them must be a bigot just like people who opposed gay rights.

Stonewall, for example, tried to suppress information about the poor evidence base for medical transition of minors that has just been confirmed in the Cass report. They labelled organisations such as Transgender Trend that has always campaigned for evidence-based approaches as anti-trans hate groups. When TT sent information packs to schools that contained accurate information, Stonewall instructed schools to shred them and authorities listened to Stonewall and not TT because Stonewall are obviously the good guys and you can trust whatever they say.


Stonewall runs a diversity champions scheme where employees pay money for Stonewall to train them in how inclusivity and diversity requires belief in gender identity ideology. That's why people were disciplined and sacked for disagreeing with Stonewall doctrine on gender.

Ruth Hunt is now trying to backpedal furiously and pretend that Stonewall never threatened to do anything to people who disagreed that transwomen are women, that she never advocated 'no debate' and her only mistake was to 'trust the experts' on gender medicine.

Stonewall should be defunded and a public inquiry held to make sure that publicly-funded lobby groups never get to influence public policy and silence dissent in this way again.
 
Last edited:
Which is my entire purpose here has been to bring us out of the weeds of terminology and semantics and categorizing to a more practical, functional "what do you functionally want."

"I define as a woman so it's my right for you to literally inside your head categorizing me as a woman" is beyond nonsensical. I'm done talking about gender souls and sex horoscopes. I'm done going around the room and asking the side that thinks we have four fingers and a thumb and the side that thinks we have five fingers to count their fingers again.

And again this why I'm so big on the "If you can't at least TRY to describe what you're talking about without just self defining it you're wasting our time" thing. If your argument is just a circular "Well I define a woman as this so therefor I get to be anywhere women are" you aren't making an argument, you're defining yourself as correct.



Person A is a biological male with a penis. One day this person identifies as a woman. What changes? What am I expected to do differently to this person? I don't treat men and women differently about social things and you can't change biology by fiat. The magical third axis between biological sex and social gender roles doesn't exist and renders all of this pointless.

It's so goddamn frustrating that we're this deep into the discussion and that hasn't been answered or even really addressed, as if its some minor side detail.

I don't disagree that it hasn't been categorically answered, I just think it can't be because the whole premise is internally inconsistent.
 
I don't disagree that it hasn't been categorically answered, I just think it can't be because the whole premise is internally inconsistent.

Okay but it's not gonna go away. We need to come to some common ground and I don't think that there is no common ground to be had.

Yes, cards on the table, the over focus on "identity" has made this a different discussion then for instance gay rights or even earlier version of the trans discussion back when it was about things like cross dressing and transvestits.

I really do think, like a lot of things, it's just the loudest and most causey that actually don't want to work something out.

I can't back this up 100% but I have a gut feeling if you honestly and without ulterior motive just went: "Hey listen I don't think you've literally changed your biological categorization just by wishing hard, but I absolutely do think are you trying to tell me SOMETHING valid about your sense of personal identity and I even respect that is probably super-difficult to get across and maybe just the best way you can say it, I might even think of it in the same framework if I was in your place. So no I don't literally conceptualize as your 'preferred sex' but I can respect that you are trying to break out of genders roles and I will definitely help you and support you on that" would actually be "good enough" for some, maybe a lot, hell maybe even most, trans people.

Because one thing that honestly does go beyond annoyance and into full anger at the "I can speak for the Trans" Loraxes is that they treat them like children, unable to ever be told they are wrong. The absolute worst, most dehumanizing thing you can ever do to someone is to pander to them, to tell them what they want to hear because you don't think they can handle being disagreed with.

"Sure little Timmy whatever you want to think is true" is what you tell a child about Santa.
 
Which is my entire purpose here has been to bring us out of the weeds of terminology and semantics and categorizing to a more practical, functional "what do you functionally want."

We know this already, though. What TRAs functionally want is for men to be able to transcend sex segregation, to access women's spaces simply because they say they want to.

That, and the right to not be discriminated against on the basis of gender expression. But this is (a) already a done deal, and (b) ironically does not require any definition of gender at all.
 
Okay but it's not gonna go away. We need to come to some common ground and I don't think that there is no common ground to be had.

Yes, cards on the table, the over focus on "identity" has made this a different discussion then for instance gay rights or even earlier version of the trans discussion back when it was about things like cross dressing and transvestits.

I really do think, like a lot of things, it's just the loudest and most causey that actually don't want to work something out.

I can't back this up 100% but I have a gut feeling if you honestly and without ulterior motive just went: "Hey listen I don't think you've literally changed your biological categorization just by wishing hard, but I absolutely do think are you trying to tell me SOMETHING valid about your sense of personal identity and I even respect that is probably super-difficult to get across and maybe just the best way you can say it, I might even think of it in the same framework if I was in your place. So no I don't literally conceptualize as your 'preferred sex' but I can respect that you are trying to break out of genders roles and I will definitely help you and support you on that" would actually be "good enough" for some, maybe a lot, hell maybe even most, trans people.
Because one thing that honestly does go beyond annoyance and into full anger at the "I can speak for the Trans" Loraxes is that they treat them like children, unable to ever be told they are wrong. The absolute worst, most dehumanizing thing you can ever do to someone is to pander to them, to tell them what they want to hear because you don't think they can handle being disagreed with.

"Sure little Timmy whatever you want to think is true" is what you tell a child about Santa.

I suspect you are correct, but it's the last few who won't consider it "Good enough" who are the problem. They are the voices for the extreme trans factions. And they are the loudest and most Causey, and the ones who are unable to accept they could ever be wrong. Categorising them in that manner doesn't seem incorrect to me, although they are a minority, since they are the face of Trans trying to push for changes.
 
We know this already, though. What TRAs functionally want is for men to be able to transcend sex segregation, to access
women's spaces simply because they say they want to.

Which puts me in a weird spot because (vastly over simplifying a complicated issue) I see sex segregation as, at best, a necessary evil instead of anything inherently good and noble and I have broader issues with which have already been beaten to death in this discourse.
 
Which puts me in a weird spot because (vastly over simplifying a complicated issue) I see sex segregation as, at best, a necessary evil instead of anything inherently good and noble and I have broader issues with which have already been beaten to death in this discourse.

For what it's worth, I see you being stuck in a weird spot, relative to the debate going on in this thread.
 
For what it's worth, I see you being stuck in a weird spot, relative to the debate going on in this thread.

I do seem to occupy a unique space in, for better or worse. But it is not a position I've come to lazily or without thought.
 
I can't back this up 100% but I have a gut feeling if you honestly and without ulterior motive just went: "Hey listen I don't think you've literally changed your biological categorization just by wishing hard, but I absolutely do think are you trying to tell me SOMETHING valid about your sense of personal identity and I even respect that is probably super-difficult to get across and maybe just the best way you can say it, I might even think of it in the same framework if I was in your place. So no I don't literally conceptualize as your 'preferred sex' but I can respect that you are trying to break out of genders roles and I will definitely help you and support you on that" would actually be "good enough" for some, maybe a lot, hell maybe even most, trans people.

I'm sorry to say that my experience trying to express my misgivings about TRA demands to a bunch of transwomen on another forum didn't bear that out. As far as they were concerned transwomen are women, period. They wouldn't listen to any argument or read any link that didn't accept that as a given, and they refused to recognise there could be any down sides at all for women in that being universally accepted. I gave up when it became clear that they wouldn't even acknowledge that biological males being bigger, stronger and with larger hearts and lungs gave them advantages over biological females in most sports. I'm talking flat-earther levels of denial. And these were people I'd had perfectly reasonable discussions with on other topics.
 
I'm sorry to say that my experience trying to express my misgivings about TRA demands to a bunch of transwomen on another forum didn't bear that out.

There was an unspoken "In the real world where they breathe air and touch grass" modifier on my point.

The internet is not the real world in... just so many ways.

1. It's the internet. Every 3rd person is a genderfluid polyamorist transitioning otherkin asexual swinger with sprinkles because there are very few actual people on the internet and a lot of personas to the point that just being classic gay makes you seem like a prude. The real world is a LOT more meat and potatoes.

2. You can argue any insane point you want without arguing about how it's supposed to work or how functionally either insane or on the extreme edges of the bellcurve it is on the internet.
 
A charitable reading requires only that we avoid interpreting any given premise in a way that makes it immediately self-contradictory and utterly vacuous of meaning; we should be striving to interpret it in a way that could actually be evaluated as either true or false.
I hear you - but to even frame that charitable reading, you have to accept the underlying premise. It's not possible to have a non-contradictory and vacuous interpretation unless you accept the underlying premise. It's the premise itself that makes all subsequent arguments contradictory.

That said, I think what the gender rights activists are really saying is that all people have an inborn sense of which sex (female/male) they would feel most comfortable being / being seen as / seeing themselves as and which gender (woman/man) they would feel most comfortable being treated as in those rare but highly charged and salient situations when we treat women and men differently. This inward sense is called "gender identity" even though it (by hypothesis) exists wholly independently from all observable outward signs of social gender or biological sex.
I understand what they are trying to say, and I also understand that your representation is a true representation of what they're trying to say. The problem is with the fundamental premises.

First, that it is inborn - I don't believe this is true, and I haven't seen any compelling argument that would convince me to even provisionally accept it as true. In fact, the existence of detransitioners, and the documented fact that about 80% of children that present with gender dysphoria at the onset of puberty grow out of it if left alone very strongly argues that it is NOT inborn.

Second, that everyone has this - I don't believe this is true either, nor have I come across an argument that even makes me question whether it might be true. The only people who claim to have this internal sense of what sex they "ought to be" are people who identify as trans. For the vast majority of us, there's no internal sense, there's an observation of what our bodies are. From my experience, most females do NOT like how society as a whole treats us as a result of our sex, and we WISH that society would treat us differently, but very few of us interpret that desire to be treated with equal respect and dignity as being "men on the inside".

Third, and for me most compelling, is that it is not possible for someone of sex A to have an actual understanding of sex B well enough to say with any degree of credibility that they "feel like" sex B. Without having the actual physical experience of that opposite sexed body, and the lifelong treatment that results from it, it's all just imagination. And it's almost always imagination based on sexist stereotypes. I can listen to a black person tell me their experience; I can observe the difference in treatment that my black friends and family receive; I can acknowledge the discrepancy faced by black people in many aspects of society. But I myself have never - and CAN never - actually experience it. I can sympathize, but it is not possible for me to credibly say that I feel like a black person.

Your representation of their stance is an accurate representation - but it is still self-contradictory and vacuous, because the entirety of the premise is fundamentally flawed.

I'm not asking anyone to assent to any of the four statements excerpted at post #985 but I am claiming that they a straightforward statement of the ideology on offer here. In another thread, I might provide a concise statement of early Xn belief from the Council of Nicaea for roughly parallel reasons.
Yes, you could provide a concise statement of early christian beliefs based on the Nicean council's framing. And it could be an entirely accurate representation of those beliefs.

But they would still be unscientific and contradictory beliefs based on an unprovable premise - and it would be entirely appropriate for anyone else to point out that the premise is in and of itself flawed.

Since I've known these people for decades, I've at least a working theory of what changed and when and how. Since you don't believe they are actually being sincere, you would not find it compelling.

You tell me. By contrast, I'd be surprised if Laurel Hubbard, Lia Thomas, Rachel McKinnon and that whole lot were deliberately and dishonestly exploiting gender ideology rather than just going along with a particular set of ideas prevailing at the time.
My 100% honest opinion is that those three in particular have a paraphilia, and they're exploiting gender dysphoria as experienced by other people in order to deliberately benefit at the expense of females, on the back of society's desire to do good.

They're going along with a set of ideas because those ideas let them take advantage of females and gain prestige, position, and dominance that they would otherwise be unable to access.

For this analogy to work, there would need to be a material payoff to modern gender ideology resembling the millions of unpaid manhours which inured to the propertied elite in slave societies like Virginia.
There *is* a material payoff.

There's a massive payoff to the various advocacy organizations involved, who receive huge contributions. Most of those organizations previously fought for equal rights for homosexual people - and once that was accomplished they should have disbanded. But the didn't, they switched gears and found a new cause so that they could continue to stay in business and get paid.

There's a massive payoff to the pharmaceutical companies who have seen increases in the use of drugs that previous had relatively low utilization. There's a massive payoff to the clinics and doctors who have seen astronomical increases in their usage as well as policies that force insurance to pay for what has previously been considered a cosmetic undertaking.

There's a payoff to mediocre male athletes who gain positions that would otherwise have gone to females. There's a payoff to mediocre male writers, artists, actors, etc. who would have been passed over if they were held up to other males, but who gain acclaim and status in the current climate that places males-who-want-to-be-females above actual females.

There's a payoff to prisoners who want a laxer incarceration by being moved to a female prison, where the rules are not as stringent and inmates have a higher degree of autonomy and freedom compared to males.

There's a payoff to sexual predators who take advantage of gender-based policies to gain access to their preferred victims in single-sex spaces and services.
 
The whole "is it a fad" thing seems like a red herring in either direction for me. Things aren't morally/logically right or wrong because of that.

The problem isn't that it could be a fad. The problem is that it results in children being sterilized and removing healthy body parts.

There are lots and lots of fads out there, and they're pretty well tolerated as such. Fads to die one's hair hot pink, shave one's head into a mohawk, wear tons of make-up inspired by KISS, etc. All of those, and more, are tolerated and accepted with little more than the occasional side-eye.

None of the arguments here are actually based on it being a fad - they're based on providing medical treatment with long term health effects in response to a fad.
 
No, not according to the basic tenets of gender identity theory and intersectional social justice. If someone claims they are (or merely ought to be or ought to have been) female, we are morally obligated to treat them as female, even if everything about their appearance and demeanor makes that approach feel counterintuitive to the over 20s who weren't weaned on these ideas.

It's interesting to go poke around on social media with a higher volume of younger people. TikTok can be enlightening. There are a lot of teens and early 20-somethings that are pretty much rejecting the entire premise of transgenderism, and it's become a bit of a joke. In particular, the whole "nonbinary they/them" thing has become a low-key insult among some of the kids these days.
 
I've already explained this more than once.

It's tedious, but it's probably a good idea to be clear in your posts that this is what you're doing. Even if you did it just ten pages ago... someone is going to come in who wasn't here then, and they aren't going to be able to read your mind. Even something like "They would say... " or "As I understand their argument... " or a disclaimer of "This is how I understand their argument, although I disagree". Something like that.

Heck, maybe add it to your sig line ;)
 
Last edited:
I'm saying, nah bro. Groupthink is the opposite of skeptical inquiry.

I think this is a flawed conclusion. I don't think we're engaged in groupthink at all. If you go back through the history, we all started with somewhat different positions and assumptions. As we've argued with the (now absent) activists, and as we've discussed elements of this with each other, we've come into alignment on the major aspects of the discussion. We've considered a whole lot of different views, a lot of difference events, and we've ended up with a fairly cohesive view. But that's not groupthink at all - that's the result of actual consideration and thought.

I know my view has shifted. I used to be willing to allow bathroom usage to be on the basis of (reasonable) gender identity. I no longer hold that view, and think restrooms should be strictly sex-based, with a third option for transgender people if they're uncomfortable in the restrooms of their own sex. I used to think that sex divisions in sports weren't necessary until high school, or maybe even college; now I think those divisions need to exist as soon as puberty begins to alter our bodies. I used to think that preferred pronouns were no big deal, and just a matter of being nice; now I think they're the thin end of the wedge and are being leveraged to incite confusion in the public and to distort our perceptions and I don't play that game at all.

I think this is true of almost all of us. Hasn't your view and your position shifted over the last 6+ years?
 
What makes you think they will go away? So far we've not seen any mass boycotts from female athletes with the most skin in the game.

:boggled:

If males with gendery feels are allowed to continue competing against females, then it is the natural result that females will be forced out of the sport. Females cannot effectively compete against even mediocre males. Over time, as it continues and is allowed, will will naturally see an increase in the number of mediocre males identifying as transgender in sports. And due to the natural advantages of the male physique, we'll see more and more of them in those sports.

At some point, all of the winners of even amatuer and entry level sports will be male.

When all of the competitors in the male leagues are male, and all of the competitors in the female leagues are male... there is no more female sports.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom