theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
I don't know what this means. What Russia defeat? I'm seeing reports of supply lines being cut off, railways being destroyed, and transportation being extremely limited in Ukraine's counter....uhm, retaliation? I don't know now, what do we call it when they're attacking the areas around Kherson. I'm fine with being wrong, but I'm not going to use a 3 lines description whenever it should be talked about.
So...what is it then? Do I say "In Ukraine's Battlespace Prep"?
I mean, if that's what needs to be said.
I said counteroffensive, is that still ok to describe what's happening around Kherson? What else do I call it? An attack? Squabble? One-sided bombing?
Personally I'd reserve "counteroffensive" for a major push by a belligerent, with their main strength, with the objective of driving off the enemy, retaking captured territory, and holding it against counterattacks.
Counterattacks themselves are defensive in nature, attempting to blunt or destroy an offensive push by the enemy.
I'd call what Ukraine is doing right now defense in depth or defense in detail, or just "defense". Logically it includes some attacks on enemy positions, but unless they're accompanied by an actual offensive push, those attacks are not part of a counteroffensive.