• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ron DeSantis (R) - Country Hungry for New Blood

"Three were unvaccinated. We don’t know the status of the 4th."

Lol, the unvaccinated... and our excellent reporting reveals we generally know nothing before reporting. Too rich.

They know three were unvaccinated. You aren't very good at this dodging thing. Better give it up.
 
I don't feel I have lost any freedoms. I choose to wear a mask. And, if so inclined, I might choose not to wear one. Keyword:choose.

Which comes back to the choice of spreading the virus, and the choice not to.

The thing is that we already know that it is constitutionally acceptable for Governments to overrule people's choices for safety reasons, take for example your choice to wear a seatbelt, or your choice to drink and drive. How does having to wear a mask differ in loss of liberties and freedoms?
 
Which comes back to the choice of spreading the virus, and the choice not to.

The thing is that we already know that it is constitutionally acceptable for Governments to overrule people's choices for safety reasons, take for example your choice to wear a seatbelt, or your choice to drink and drive. How does having to wear a mask differ in loss of liberties and freedoms?

Collective action problem coming into direct conflict with the conservative conception of "rugged individualism", where every individual is an island and have total mastery of their own fate.
 
That and "I don't care if my actions hurt other people" and "I don't care if my actions hurt other people oh and I'm doing things specifically TO hurt other people" sort of have had their lines blurred in the last few years.

The former is... certainly not an admirable quality but at least it's something that sort of resembles an actual stance to argued in certain contexts if you squint at it and look sideways. The latter is just evil with pretensions.
 
Collective action problem coming into direct conflict with the conservative conception of "rugged individualism", where every individual is an island and have total mastery of their own fate.

Much better to have the government dictate your actions, I say.
 
That and "I don't care if my actions hurt other people" and "I don't care if my actions hurt other people oh and I'm doing things specifically TO hurt other people" sort of have had their lines blurred in the last few years.

The former is... certainly not an admirable quality but at least it's something that sort of resembles an actual stance to argued in certain contexts if you squint at it and look sideways. The latter is just evil with pretensions.

The latter makes sense once you accept that the conservative ethos is one that is openly hostile to the concept of being a member of a society, with the burdens and privileges that come attached. The conservative id yearns for building a Ruby Ridge style shanty house and living a life of total isolation.

With that in mind, the pointlessly malicious potshots at their own local communities make sense.
 
Last edited:
Only idiots avoid the vaccine...and DeSantis is not anti-vax, at all.
DeSantis' record on vaccinations is not as clean as you make it out to be.

Granted, he has never made claims about vaccines not working, or told people specifically to avoid them. But, he has stood in the way of vaccine passports, most famously in the case of cruise ships that wanted to ensure all customers were vaccinated.

So he was quite happy turning ships into floating petri dishes for disease transmission. And why? And for whom? It wasn't for the benefit of businesses (since it was the cruise lines that wanted the vaccine mandates in the first place).

Look what another maskless experiment has resulted in...
Nearly 1,000 Mississippi school students test positive for COVID-19 in past week
And? All due to the masks, yo. Give me another break. How many are going to die, and how does this suddenly impact FL and DeSantis?
First of all, even a small number of deaths should be seen as significant and something to be avoided, especially if the way to prevent those deaths (i.e. a mask mandate) is so simple and has no inherent risks.

Secondly, by concentrating only on deaths you ignore much of the impact of covid has... many people get hospitalized. Many people suffer from 'long covid'. Even if someone has mild or no symptoms, they will still have to be quarantined (as well as their family and other close contacts), which of course affects their ability to earn a living. (I am sure the parents of those children would rather not be stuck at home with their kids, isolated for several weeks.) At least some of those cases could be prevented by mask mandates.
and how does this suddenly impact FL and DeSantis?
The Mississippi school case may have been in a different state, but it illustrates how a lack of a mask mandate can impact a population. And DeSantis wants to repeat the same foolishness that has caused problems in other locations.
 
Much better to have the government dictate your actions, I say.

The government's entire purpose is to A) handle public money and B) dictate your actions. You act as if it's a new thing or something that exists only in certain societies. It's always existed because it's a fundamental aspect of human culture.

How about seatbelts? Are they a grievous infringement on your civil liberties and the government telling you what to do? Or are they a sensible or at least debatable law?
 
Much better to have the government dictate your actions, I say.

The Government dictates a lot of your actions, in fact, there are very few actions that they can't dictate or regulate. Those are covered in the Bill of Rights. Guess what, choosing whether to wear a mask or not is not covered.
 
The most humorous part of this is, I deleted about 150 FB "friends" who were covid deniers and anti-vaxxers. But, not because I felt they should be denied their freedoms...simply because I felt they were idiots.
 
The most humorous part of this is, I deleted about 150 FB "friends" who were covid deniers and anti-vaxxers. But, not because I felt they should be denied their freedoms...simply because I felt they were idiots.

How many have since been deleted from reality?
 
The most humorous part of this is, I deleted about 150 FB "friends" who were covid deniers and anti-vaxxers. But, not because I felt they should be denied their freedoms...simply because I felt they were idiots.

You just said no freedom is being denied. Which is it?
 
Their choice.

How does this free-wheeling attitude extend to school age children, who as of yet are not approved to receive any vaccine? Should they be compelled to attend schools that will not take even modest steps to ensure their safety?

DeSantis is not giving them a choice.
 
How does this free-wheeling attitude extend to school age children, who as of yet are not approved to receive any vaccine? Should they be compelled to attend schools that will not take even modest steps to ensure their safety?

DeSantis is not giving them a choice.

Ain't much of them kids gonna die, bro. We covered the count, earlier in the thread.
 
Please stick to the topic, address what people have actually said (not what you think they might say), and keep it civil.

Thank you.
Replying to this modbox in thread will be off topic  Posted By: zooterkin
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom