• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Rioters storm and occupy the US Capitol - part 2

I liked it too, but sadly Red Cap service is/was a luggage carrying service for train lines in the USA. This in itself is no big deal except that in the segregation era it was one of the few jobs blacks could get and was almost exclusively positioned by them. So it becomes a bit problematic.
Ah... I did not know that. I understand. Thanks.

Here's the thing..... you're both being too literal. It is not uncommon in language for terms to get hijacked to mean something different from the original meaning.
Ah, but my objection was over the aesthetic quality of the word. It looks and sounds ugly, unlike "galah". Which, I suppose, I can reluctantly grant is appropriate.
 
Last edited:
In some weird way, I commend these morons.

It wasn't as though they just sat by their keyboards, complaining. They took action against what they truly believed to be a threat to our democracy.

But that "moron" part can't be overstated enough.
 
Time to give it up, Thermal. If it works, it's something else by definition. There is no true philosophy.

Quite the contrary. Philosophy that is well grounded can be used to form working ideologies, and those have real-world impact, good or bad. The pushback isn't that philosophy doesn't exist, it's that it isn't what some here are claiming, and as a tool to uncover factual truths it has been entirely supplanted.
 
I don't think that's what they believe at all.

I don't think we'll ever know. There were certainly plenty of conspiratorial types and magical thinkers that likely thought something would come of their attack, either Trump riding in on a white horse invoking the insurrection act or some other nonsense to overturn the election and install their God-King as forever president.

Some may have just been expressing pure rage at the system and blowing off steam by doing a wee bit of light terrorism.

In reality, probably a bit of both for a lot of the folks involved.
 
Last edited:
In some weird way, I commend these morons.

It wasn't as though they just sat by their keyboards, complaining. They took action against what they truly believed to be a threat to our democracy.

But that "moron" part can't be overstated enough.

I don't think you've thought this through. For example, are mass shooters commendable in any way? They act on the stupid crap they believe as well. All monsters and villains do the same.
 
I don't think you've thought this through. For example, are mass shooters commendable in any way? They act on the stupid crap they believe as well. All monsters and villains do the same.


"I truly believed that the (((Jew))) is using the black man as muscle to erase White America. So, rather than sitting at my keyboard complaining ...".

"I truly believed that there was a child sex dungeon in the basement of a local pizza parlor. So, rather than sitting at my keyboard complaining ...".


Yeah.
 
Time to give it up, Thermal. If it works, it's something else by definition. There is no true philosophy.

Quite the contrary. Philosophy that is well grounded can be used to form working ideologies, and those have real-world impact, good or bad. The pushback isn't that philosophy doesn't exist, it's that it isn't what some here are claiming, and as a tool to uncover factual truths it has been entirely supplanted.

I confess to finding myself in a philosophical conundrum finding these posts in the Riot thread.
 
"I truly believed that there was a child sex dungeon in the basement of a local pizza parlor. So, rather than sitting at my keyboard complaining ...".

In that case, let's call the cause "protecting children". Taking action for such a cause is commendable.

That is independent of the fact that the people are morons, so they did the wrong thing.

I mean, I did say that the fact that they were morons could not be overstated enough. I actually mentioned them being morons, twice.
 
Last edited:
I don't think you've thought this through. For example, are mass shooters commendable in any way? They act on the stupid crap they believe as well. All monsters and villains do the same.
Interesting question. Philosophy would say that all mass shooters are justified by their philosophy. That philosophy is de facto valid. As a philosophy.

Would they agree with it? Nope, likely not.

So some philosophy is bad.

And now we go on a navel search because we have nothing better to do.
 
There is no rule that says that a reprehensible person cannot have anything admirable going on. But if it's put to an end such as murder, those factors are about as important as contemplating how good they were at flower arranging. Sure, that's nice, but given the circumstances its effect on my overall opinion of the person is negligible.
 
Last edited:
Damn! I answered Bruto's post not realising I wasn't in the thread that doesn't exist!

My apologies.

Please, no apologies necessary.

*sits in full lotus*

...because we have shown that philosophy is everything and everywhere...

*levitates slightly*
 
In that case, let's call the cause "protecting children". Taking action for such a cause is commendable.

That is independent of the fact that the people are morons, so they did the wrong thing.

I mean, I did say that the fact that they were morons could not be overstated enough. I actually mentioned them being morons, twice.


Personally I don't see a given person's genuine commitment to/sincerity about their utter dumbassery as being praiseworthy traits. YMMV.
 
Plenty of Germans probably sincerely believed that Jews "stabbed Germany in the back" when they were rationalizing shoving them into the cattle cars.

No partial credit for sincerity when it comes to being a misguided fascist.

At this point in the information age, an individual is responsible for the propaganda they consume and what they choose to believe. Nobody made these freaks watch Fox News and read Facebook all day until their brains turned to jello.
 
Plenty of Germans probably sincerely believed that Jews "stabbed Germany in the back" when they were rationalizing shoving them into the cattle cars.

From what I've learned over the years, Ludendorf was probably more responsible for WWII than even Hitler. He's essentially to blame for that myth.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom