• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: The Trump Presidency: Part 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Georgia Secretary of State Raffensperger just told @CNN that his office is cooperating with the Atlanta DA's investigation into Trump's attempts to overturn the 2020 Georgia election.
 
While simultaneous supporting the state legislature in it's efforts to keep black people from voting.
Yes, but also no.

Investigating a private individual (Trump) for potential interference in government functions in their jurisdiction is a DA function.

Defying what statutory law says they must do is not a DA function. I don't think an organ of a city government can even make a legal challenge against state law that way, it would have to come from a citizen who's rights were infinged.

Didn't this DA also refuse to prosecute the lawmaker who knocked on the governor's door repeatedly?
 
Georgia Secretary of State Raffensperger just told @CNN that his office is cooperating with the Atlanta DA's investigation into Trump's attempts to overturn the 2020 Georgia election.
While simultaneous supporting the state legislature in it's efforts to keep black people from voting.
I think what you're seeing is the difference between competent evil and incompetent evil.

Trump and the most obvious examples of his boot-licker brigade (Gaetz, Rick Scott, etc.) are examples of incompetent evil... They are totally corrupt and will screw things up for everyone (except for perhaps a few of the wealthy elite) if they get a chance.

On the other hand, people like Raffensperger are examples of competent evil. They are totally cool with policies that harm people, and with the bigotry that exists in the republican party. But they are smart enough to recognize a few things: Trump was a loser, and tying yourself to him too tightly will keep the GOP from political power, and saying the quiet parts out loud (as Trump regularly did) is a tactical mistake.

I also put people like Drunky McRapeface and the Stepford Wife in the same category... I have no doubt that if they REALLY wanted to, the supreme court could have found a way to support Trump in at least some of his 'election fraud' lawsuits. But that would have harmed the prospects of the republicans long-term.
 
I think the other thing about Raffensperger is that he bristles at his own competence being questioned. To be evil is not always to be a total fool. If Georgia's vote really was certified by him as going against Trump, you can be pretty sure that he had already done whatever he felt he could to prevent this, and if it still did, then you can be pretty sure that all that could have been done had been.

T**** was not just asking Raffensperger to cheat a little, but to make his own cards with a sharpie.
 
I think the other thing about Raffensperger is that he bristles at his own competence being questioned. To be evil is not always to be a total fool. If Georgia's vote really was certified by him as going against Trump, you can be pretty sure that he had already done whatever he felt he could to prevent this, and if it still did, then you can be pretty sure that all that could have been done had been.

T**** was not just asking Raffensperger to cheat a little, but to make his own cards with a sharpie.

I think that "bristles at his own competence being questioned" understates what was happening after election time. Trump was trying to tell Raffensperger to 1) commit major criminal actions that themselves 2) implicated Raffensperger of either or both major incompetence and criminal actions all while 3) the nation's attention was directly on Raffensperger so there was just about no chance of him getting away with doing such in the first place. Even if he had gotten away with it initially, for that matter, 4) it wouldn't have led to Trump winning.

Raffensperger was praised a bunch for not giving in to Trump's pressure, but seriously, he'd have had to be a total idiot to give in. That he's supported (pushed for, rather) outright changes in the laws to tip scales further in favor of Republicans is much more reflective of his stance and actions.
 
Trump may have been thinking (quote/unquote): If I can get Georgia flipped then people will think all the other states were rigged too! A game-winning baseball touchdown!
 
I have an 82-year-old friend with early dementia who moved to this campus with a BIG deposit, which is largely designed to help cover costs of long-term care. Basically, you "buy in" early (80 is pretty early here) and you're more or less guaranteed a higher level of care if you need it.

She paid something like 4 years rent in advance, orchestrated by her adult daughter who isn't just a diehard Trump fan - she thinks this state has become too liberal and wants to move to Florida to be closer to him. She refuses to get vaccinated (and she's an occupational therapist!) She dumped all the crap in her garage into her mom's one-bedroom apartment, so apparently her Mom is supposed to stay here.

I told my friend she should point out this state needs Republican voters more than Florida does. I would say good riddance, but she's leaving her mom with no ******* family in town - and no one in her family really wants to move, though some of them like Trump.

I think this is just sick. And cruel. I'd say her mom is better off without her, but I know that's (probably) not true. Family support makes a huge difference. Still, **** the daughter. There is one small caveat; my friend does have an Alzheimer's diagnosis, and she might be confabulating - but everything she's told me in the past has checked out. One woman here (a retired psychiatrist) said my friend (a retired eye surgeon) makes things up, but I've never noticed that, and her daughter really did dump a bunch of boxes into an already crowded apartment. The story sadly has the ring of truth given what I know about some Trump supporters.
 
Last edited:
I've been captioning a bit more Republican stuff lately, and Trump is uniquely difficult to caption for. Rapid-fire speech, sentence fragments, subject changes. I swear the GOP is still running election fundraising phone campaigns! And of course the brick mailings, though is Schumer still important enough to receive a brick?
 
Ok, now Trump is in REAL trouble....

From: The Hill
The city of Albuquerque has referred a $211,175.94 bill for former President Trump’s reelection campaign rally in 2019 to a professional debt collection agency....a spokesperson for the city, told the Albuquerque Journal that officials have been attempting to collect payment for months, even mailing the bill to Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida this month.
....
City officials in El Paso, Texas, said in November that they are hiring legal counsel in their fight to obtain more than half a million dollars stemming from a February 2019 rally.


(Well, OK, not a real problem... But I do like the idea of Trump getting harassed by collection agencies.)

I guess the big question is.... why did these cities keep allowing Trump to hold the rallies there (and not demanding the campaign pay for the disruption to the city up front), when they knew Trump is such a deadbeat when it comes to paying bills?
 
.....
I guess the big question is.... why did these cities keep allowing Trump to hold the rallies there (and not demanding the campaign pay for the disruption to the city up front), when they knew Trump is such a deadbeat when it comes to paying bills?

It's Trump country. What do you think would have happened to local officials who tried to block a Trump rally? And you can be sure Trump would have been saying something like "We always pay for everything, there's never been a problem...."
 
"It really wasn't a very good podium, anyway. So I shouldn't have to pay. But I did. But if I didn't I was right and clever not to."
 
Last edited:
Ok, now Trump is in REAL trouble....

From: The Hill
The city of Albuquerque has referred a $211,175.94 bill for former President Trump’s reelection campaign rally in 2019 to a professional debt collection agency....a spokesperson for the city, told the Albuquerque Journal that officials have been attempting to collect payment for months, even mailing the bill to Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida this month.


Yeah good luck with that. My home city is still holding its dick over the cost of the Republican National Convention that never happened.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/...ost-gop-convention-almost-154-000/5697710002/
 
Ok, now Trump is in REAL trouble....

From: The Hill
The city of Albuquerque has referred a $211,175.94 bill for former President Trump’s reelection campaign rally in 2019 to a professional debt collection agency...

Yeah good luck with that. My home city is still holding its dick over the cost of the Republican National Convention that never happened.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/...ost-gop-convention-almost-154-000/5697710002/

But from what I remember, Jacksonville actually competed with other cities for the right to hold the Republican super-spreader event. (It wasn't like the non-convention was thrust upon them.)

"Please come and hold your covid-sharing party here! We will even look the other way as you breath on each other, cough in each other's faces, and lick random door knobs."

Kind of makes it harder to have sympathy for them as a result.
 
But from what I remember, Jacksonville actually competed with other cities for the right to hold the Republican super-spreader event. (It wasn't like the non-convention was thrust upon them.)

"Please come and hold your covid-sharing party here! We will even look the other way as you breath on each other, cough in each other's faces, and lick random door knobs."

Kind of makes it harder to have sympathy for them as a result.

Yeah we're also the first major city to have full capacity concerts and sporting events.

We are... not good at this.
 
It's Trump country. What do you think would have happened to local officials who tried to block a Trump rally? And you can be sure Trump would have been saying something like "We always pay for everything, there's never been a problem...."

“Other cities said to us, ‘Sir, we love you so much we are going to give you money.’”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom