The Atheist
Psychopath
- Joined
- Jul 3, 2006
- Messages
- 37,968
To me, this seems like another excellent reason for separate, non-gendered bathrooms - multi-gender people: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nati...dison-rose-vincent_n_5f81ab0dc5b6e6d033a308fa
YBut it also means that we are women just as much as cisgender women are, with some differences in biology. I am not a man who wants to be a woman, I am a woman as much as any other.
Nothing has changed just because the cisgender girls have the ability to become pregnant. Putting someone with a penis and someone with a vagina in a room together doesn't automatically ensure they will have sex, like the parents seem to think. If a chaperone would make them feel better about things, fine. But it still sends a message to the trans girl that she is not to be trusted.
This is actually a perfect example of heterosexism right here. The assumption that males and females will be attracted to each other when that might not be the case, like due to homosexuality or transgenderism.
Better to separate everyone then I guess, just to be fair.
Clearly looking at things that simplistically doesn't work anymore. Unless you ignore and erase LGBTQ+ people. Gender and sexuality are far more complex than the biological assumptions you are starting with. Potential risk of pregnancy is just a nice way to sidestep the issue.
And yet you enthusiastically endorse some of the most confining and oppressive elements of those gender roles, even to the point where you argue that not doing so is some sort of violation of "women's sex-based rights".
As a Robotics mentor, I'm more interested in whether the students can apply physics to the problem of throwing nerf balls into a target. When it comes to gender, sexuality, biology, I'm most concerned that the number of people who go to the competition is the same as the number that return.
If you remove the two main reasons for sex segregation (pregnancy of minors, and the full range of sexual misconduct (mostly by by males) ) what reasons for segregation are left?
And that's the thing, I have always viewed the purpose of the separation of the genders/sexes to be modesty and privacy concerns, not to prevent sex. And I agree with Chanakya that the view seems pretty regressive, since my parents weren't like that, and neither were any of my friends parents. And I wouldn't be that untrustworthy of my kids either to assume something is going to happen simply because they are with someone of a different sex or gender.
It really seems more like helicopter parenting to me.
Not generally, for the majority anyway, and it's not really something we all agree on. There is some debate in the trans community on whether gender is binary or not. I personally agree with the view that gender is a spectrum (as well as sex and sexuality) and most of us find ourselves towards one end of the spectrum or another.
Then there are those who fall in between and for some of them their gender is fluid and can fluctuate. Like bisexuals who may find one gender more attractive at one point in their life and a different one at another.
My own gender is very much female and so my gender is not fluid, but there are people who can be fluid in their gender or gender expression, and that's perfectly valid.
That is a concern, of course, but honestly it's a trivial concern to address when the subject is hotel rooms.
I've shared plenty of hotel rooms with groups of mixed sex, and never seen anyone in their underwear, or less.
By that logic, the transwomen I know really are women.
Given the right upbringing, kids will do dumb things, because their brains are not fully formed. That's just reality.
If you're lucky, it won't be your kids, but all you can do through good parenting is increase the odds.
Meanwhile, dragging it back on topic, if you throw young men and young women together into hotel rooms, you push the odds in the wrong direction.
So what happens if you throw a transgirl and girls into the same hotel room? Well, I have no idea, really, but I do know that things are different, and I do know that the possible outcomes that I truly care about are the exact same as if I threw a cis-boy into the same hotel room, because, biologically, they are exactly the same.
Beyond the risk of pregnancy, which is a real, though unlikely, possibility, there's just some absurdity in suggesting that somehow the regular girls in that room ought to all just act like this is all perfectly normal and pay no attention to the girl with the penis.
I would think that thousands and thousands of years of biology would count as objective evidence, but you do you.I envy you your certainty about the nature of reality in the absence of objective evidence (in the context of our discussion about whether it is the norm that well brought up kids tend to behave responsibly when it comes to sex). Life can, arguably, be simpler with that attitude.![]()
While that is true, that same truth holds for a number of things that can also have significant impact, like doing hard drugs, falling in with wrong company, getting radicalized, falling under the influence of some cult, usw. I (continue to) wonder if you use the same approach (as you do when it comes to unprotected boy-girl sex) for those other issues as well -- e.g. by ensuring kids "in your watch" don't get alone-time that they may misuse to do drugs, don't get unchaperoned online time that they might misuse to get radicalized, etc.
What exactly is the problem with the issue of school overnights such that it must not be discussed? What harm would discussing it bring? How is it a "blind alley?"Talk about charging off down a blind alley on the ludicrously hyper-specific issue of what to do with transgender adolescents on school trips where overnight stays in shared rooms are required.
Sheesh. Am I ever glad I drew back. And there are some lovely antediluvian attitudes being showcased again - to no surprise.
What exactly is the problem with the issue of school overnights such that it must not be discussed? What harm would discussing it bring? How is it a "blind alley?"
I don't see how it's a long way away. It's an issue about how teens, which include cis boys and girls, and trans boys and girls, might or should be treated. The fact that it is a specific situation - teens on a school overnight - makes it no less relevant. Unless you can explain its irrelevancy.Because it's an awfully long way away from (and only the most minuscule part of) any discussion about whether trans women are women......?
Because it's an awfully long way away from (and only the most minuscule part of) any discussion about whether trans women are women......?