You see no reasons not to do it, despite the obvious demographic, geographic, and political factors that make it uniquely impossible for non-islands with massive, mobile populations to do.
The demographic, geographic, and political factors really don't enter into it. In the middle ages you might have had a point, but New Zealand isn't very difficult to go to even if you live on the other side of the Earht, which I do, more or less. By the way, we have already established that Sweden's population isn't very massive, pop. density 25, and I doubt that Swedes are more mobile than Kiwis is. Very few Swedes make a living
following the herds of reindeer nowadays, and I seriously doubt that the ones who do contribute much to the spread of coronavirus.
However, if you consider idiotic Neo-Liberalist ideas of herd immunity, then you may have a point with your reference to
political factors, but that is a very bad excuse.
Admit it. You wouldn't mind sealing people in their homes a la the Chinese in Wuhan, right? You have Karl Marx in your signature. This wouldn't be so surprising.
I have not only Karl Marx but also Bertolt Brecht, another commie, in my signature.
I was never a fan of Chinese 'communism', but I have noticed something that you probably haven't: At the very early stage of the pandemic, the media were full of news reports from China with terrifying descriptions of the inhumane way they treated Chinese citizens. You know,
"sealing people in their homes."
In my country, this horror stories about China's inhumane pandemic response more or less vanished after a Danish TV team followed a Dane traveling to China where he experienced what it was like to live through the Chinese quarantine: It was a bit boring, but apart from that, it didn't seem so bad and it was obviously very effective.
At approximately the same time, we saw Northern Italy, the Bergamo region, for instance,
"sealing people in their homes," which made most of the world realize that quarantining people may be a pretty brutal way to tackle a pandemic, but not really a sign of an autocracy at work. And it works!
There's the obvious success story of China's pandemic strategy:
Total cases: 85,500 (Sweden: 97,532)
New cases today: 11 (Sweden: 855) I assume China's new cases are mostly incoming travelers like in NZ)
Total deaths: 4,634 (Sweden: 5,892)
Deaths per million: 2 (Sweden: 582)
But there is another thing I haven't heard anybody talk about for months: the Chinese coronavirus dissidents, who were so interesting in February and March!
Now, I am not unaware of China's treatment of dissidents in general and coronavirus dissidents in particular back then, but I think there is a reason why we don't really hear about Chinese coronavirus dissidents anymore: People in China now know about the ****** up pandemic response in most of the rest of the world and are quite content that China's pandemic response was the way it was: carefully calculated, timely executed and
effective.
I wouldn't want to live in China, but, man, I wouldn't have minded it Denmark had tackled the coronavirus the way China did!
So you are
almost right when you say that I
"wouldn't mind sealing people in their homes a la the Chinese in Wuhan." I was quite content not to have been sealed in my home in March and April during the Danish lockdown, but I also think that it would have helped save hundreds of lives if we had been, which would have been worth the inconvenience and would have ended the outbreak much sooner, which would have made a 'house arrest' tolerable. Denmark: 665 deaths (115 per million).
Unlike China, the only country in the world that was 100% unprepared for SARS-CoV-2, it was also easier for the Scandinavian countries to avoid
"sealing people in their homes": A couple of months into the pandemic, it was already beginning to be clear how the virus spreads and how it doesn't.
China didn't know anything when the whole thing started, but
we knew much more a few months later thanks to China and South Korea and were therefore never sealed in our homes.
ETA: When you call the pandemic response of countries like Australia and New Zealand tyrannical, it really spoils your credibility when you criticize China's handling of the pandemic!
