But, would women not normally think of these as assaults or harrassment? It's the dichotomy that I'm wondering about. Maybe it's a difference in cultures here.
I don't think it's a difference in culture, so much as just becoming inured to something unpleasant, because 'that's just the way it is'. It's kind of like living near a train track. If it goes by often enough, the noise is no longer noteworthy. Someone visiting from out of town might ask "how do you stand all the noise", and the homeowner might say "Well, the kids next door aren't usually that rambunctious" and not even think to address the train. It's already been accepted as part of the fabric of life.
Something like what I have described, and which you agree is pretty much assault has happened to every single woman I know. Most of it has happened to girls over the age of about 13 (not necessarily by adult men). And in the grand scheme of crap women are exposed to... those sorts of events end up paling and simply being accepted as 'how things are'. Many women have experienced things that are much, much worse than that, much more violent and painful and traumatic. If it hasn't happened to a particular woman, I guarantee it has happened to someone she knows. And in comparison to
that... what's a boob grab? It's not that big a deal compared to
rape. It's only been relatively recently that the topic has garnered a lot of attention. Once the topic as a whole got brought up, and we start comparing notes, and looking at frequency... and we start really truly realizing that in general men don't experience this kind of thing... then we have something to say about it.
I'll add a couple of borderline analogies here.
My step sister had a spouse who was physically abusive to her. He beat her up, threatened her, raped her. We didn't know it at the time, and it was many years ago when I was much younger. But once it came out, the whole family knew about it, and it was horrific. Much more recently, it came to light that my other sister's spouse had slapped her a few times during arguments, had made a habit of breaking her belongings, and was emotionally abusive. When that came out during the divorce, my mom and I asked her "Why didn't you say something sooner? Why did you tolerate such abuse?" Her response was that compared to what our step-sister went through, it hadn't even occurred to her that it
was abuse until toward the very end when she started talking about it to other people.
As a less emotionally fraught example... My sister and I both get migraines, but for a long time I didn't realize that was my problem. See, my sister gets migraines that cause significant visual aura, and are so intense that she loses consciousness. Compared to that, which I had witnessed for years, I just had annoying headaches that wouldn't go away and made me sick to my stomach. I suffered through them for years before I ended up seeing an ENT for something else and mentioned it off-hand. He told me they sounded like migraines and that I should see a neurologist. But because my basis of comparison was so much worse than what I had experienced, it simply didn't occur to me that my headaches were also migraines.