theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
That seems like it would make for a much more useful and flexible data set.
Useful for what purpose? The government could include questions like "bunch or fold?" and "have you ever seen Citizen Kane?"
I tend to the opinion that the government shouldn't collect data it's not going to report on. And that the reporting it does should have a good reason first.
If Congress holds hearings about the problems plaguing the nation, and determine from expert testimony and public opinion that more data needs to be gathered on a specific subject, then yes, Congress should direct that such data be gathered. Likewise if the President needs more information in order to execute national policy.
I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of gathering vast swaths of data simply because it might turn out to be informative or useful at some future time. But I'm not very enthusiastic about the idea of the government conducting surveys just to make convenient data sets for future academics.


