• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The all-new "US Politics and coronavirus" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Trump storms out of another press conference.

Reporter asks some question about Trump responding to hurting Americans. It was along those lines, someone can correct me.

Trump responds with something to the effect of asking China.

Reporter pulls down her mask, emphasizing the fact she is of Asian decent and calls him on it: "Did you give that answer specifically to me?"

Trump calls it a nasty question, calls her a nasty reporter and storms off.

:dl:

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh.

He is an orange snowflake. Melts down so easily.
 
I think being sick and tired of restrictions may be transcending political affiliation. I dislike Trump as much as anyone, but having an exit strategy from lockdown IMO is something many people need to hear right now. It's only human. Isolation takes a toll. I don't mind at all pointing out when governors violate conditions they themselves set, but I also don't believe that everyone who supports easing restrictions is a foaming-at-the-mouth yokel who utterly rejects science and is champing at the bit to kill off old people. Plenty of people are ambivalent; it has to be OK to have that conversation without turning it into a right-left screaming match.

We need conversations, we need common ground. As much as Trump ****** up the science, the worst thing he has done make this issue as divisive as a possible. **** him, have town halls on Zoom where people just listen to each other. I'm sure Russia loves watching America at war with itself over these issues. I don't think it has to be that way.

One of the worst things about Trump's handling of this, in my opinion is closely related to what you said above. He has wanted to open up, but without an exit strategy. He waffles. He talks a lot, and gives the idea that reopening businesses is necessary, and yet doesn't say how to achieve it or when to do it. His administration did issue CDC guidelines, but then he praised people violating them. His leadership has not been clear at all. It's not so much that I don't like what he's doing. I don't even know what he's doing.
 
One of the worst things about Trump's handling of this, in my opinion is closely related to what you said above. He has wanted to open up, but without an exit strategy. He waffles. He talks a lot, and gives the idea that reopening businesses is necessary, and yet doesn't say how to achieve it or when to do it. His administration did issue CDC guidelines, but then he praised people violating them. His leadership has not been clear at all. It's not so much that I don't like what he's doing. I don't even know what he's doing.

That ^^. He contradicts himself so often it causes whiplash in those trying to follow.
 
Sobering read

The storm we can’t see

We haven’t even begun to grasp how much damage the pandemic will do

Garrett M. Graff

May 8

But the idea that life will soon return to normal is a fantasy, especially given new government estimates that show we might be facing 3,000 daily deaths by the end of the month — the equivalent of a 9/11-scale tragedy every single day. Yet even leaving the human and health-care toll aside, the scale of the economic problem ahead is larger and worse than our leaders and politics appear capable of handling — or even recognizing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...isaster/?arc404=true&itid=lk_inline_manual_19
 
I kind of wish he hadn't said that. It's probably obvious to most people and is just going to stir up a lot of abuse.



I'm tired of Trump's name-calling, not that I seek any of it out but even just reading "Trump Tweets" here on the forum. God that man is boring.
Did you realise what you just said there? Speaking the truth is too dangerous around Trump. You are better off just shutting up and hoping for the best.
 
When he went to the next reporter, another woman she asked the same question, that's when he stormed off. He said she didn't answer quick enough so it was all finished.
 
His leadership has not been clear at all. It's not so much that I don't like what he's doing. I don't even know what he's doing.

To me it has: it's clear he has no idea what he's doing, so how can others? He is no leader.
 
One of the worst things about Trump's handling of this, in my opinion is closely related to what you said above. He has wanted to open up, but without an exit strategy. He waffles. He talks a lot, and gives the idea that reopening businesses is necessary, and yet doesn't say how to achieve it or when to do it. His administration did issue CDC guidelines, but then he praised people violating them. His leadership has not been clear at all. It's not so much that I don't like what he's doing. I don't even know what he's doing.
If I had any social-media skills I'd be trying to start a movement, MoveForwardCovid or BridgeCovidDivide. I agree that his waffling is one of his main leadership fails. Face it, he doesn't do leadership. Expecting it from him is irrational. What kind of organization could facilitate normal conversations, just leaving him out of it? Maybe Facebook could facilitate something. Traditional media get clicks out of people saying stupid **** so stories are full of people saying stupid ****. Is there a way out?
 
And in other mixed message news.

Staffers in the West Wing have been directed to wear face masks in the White House, except when at their own desks, a Trump administration official tells NPR.

The directive out Monday comes after at least two members of the White House staff tested positive for the coronavirus last week, including a military aide to the president and the vice president's spokeswoman.

The new infections sounded alarm bells on President Trump's guidance to reopen the badly ailing national economy, when it appeared that the White House itself was struggling to contain the highly contagious virus.
 
Here's the exchange as reported by Deadline dot com.

CBS News Weijia Jiang asked Trump why he was emphasizing that the U.S. was doing better than any other country when it comes to testing. “Why does that matter? Why is this a global competition to you if every day Americans are still losing their lives and we are still seeing more cases every day?” she asked.

“Well, they are losing their lives everywhere in the world,” Trump said. “Maybe that is a question you should ask China. Don’t ask me. Ask China that question. When you ask China that question you may get a very unusual answer.” The president then called on CNN’s Kaitlan Collins, who was walking to the microphone before Jiang then said, “Sir, why are you saying that to me, specifically?”

“I am not saying it specifically to anybody. I am saying it to anybody who would ask a nasty question like that,” Trump said.

“That is not a nasty question,” Jiang objected.

Then Trump tried to call on someone else, before Collins said, “But you pointed to me. … You called on me.” Trump then said, “I did, and you didn’t respond, and I am now calling on the young lady in the back.” She then tried to ask her question before Trump wrapped up the briefing. Link

This is the leader of the Free World. ******* nightmare.
 
Last edited:
And Trump storms out of another press conference.

Reporter asks some question about Trump responding to hurting Americans. It was along those lines, someone can correct me.

Trump responds with something to the effect of asking China.

Reporter pulls down her mask, emphasizing the fact she is of Asian decent and calls him on it: "Did you give that answer specifically to me?"

Trump calls it a nasty question, calls her a nasty reporter and storms off.

:dl:

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh.

Video clip here,love how second reporter comes to ask same question and he rudely fobs her off too. In these instances every reporter should ask same question
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1259959091704799233

Edit to add New York Guy has already posted link I see.

Double edit:So has Captain Swoop.
 
Last edited:
Here's something I don't like about our press.

The big news that came out of the press conference is the fight with the reporters, and Trump walking out.

That's news. Sort of. It's interesting, but it's as much gossip as news. Did Trump actually say anything of substance before the Q&A portion? If he did, that's news. If he didn't, that's a different sort of news. Him getting into a stupid tiff with a reporter is also a different sort of news, but it really ought to be the secondary story. Other than the entertainment it provides to those of us who don't like Trump, it's really pretty meaningless.
 
No. It's news that Trump can't answer tough, or even softball, questions. It shows that he's dishonest and that what he says should not be taken seriously.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom