• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: The Trump Presidency: Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

More money laundering as well, bet that's more profitable than the Trump name franchise. In fact, don't those two businesses go hand in hand? :rolleyes:

As Davidson noted today, the I.R.G.C. came up with “a clever scheme [to] create hundreds of ‘private’ companies, owned by I.R.G.C. officers, that would fund terror, seek W.M.D, launder money and do other bidding of the central organization.” Many of these companies, including the Darvishi’s Azarpassillo, were “barely disguised.” As The New Yorker reported in 2017, anyone paying half an ounce of attention would have noticed that the Trump Tower project sure carried some hallmarks of a money-laundering operation:
 
Last edited:
Rumor is that the Senate Dems have enough votes to pass their resolution to limit Trump's authority in Iran, empty as it might be. It would show a break from Trump for a few Republicans.
 
It must be terribly frightening for someone who thinks the deep state has the AWESOME power to fake worldwide news about a whole continent on fire.


Remember they are Americans. A large proportion of Americans don't think anything outside the USA really exists.

Hans
 
See the difference in tone, in respect, the differing level of the exchange? But the worst part is, apparently Trump has been doing the opposite of what he is claiming. Proving he is totally untrustworthy. How do people support a president no one can trust? A man who is a serial liar. A man many people feel is basically a con artist, so many people that it seems reasonable there's at least some truth in it.



Man. that's some strong Kool-Aid! ;)
Not "feel" he is a con artist, he's a proven con artist, so its a fact no matter how anyone feels about it. :)
 
Remember they are Americans. A large proportion of Americans don't think anything outside the USA really exists.

Hans

Who is "they"? ONE person, a high school acquaintance of An_Animus made the 'Australian bushfires are fake news' comment. Skeptic Ginger referred to that person in her reply. From that you jump to "they are Americans" followed by a stupendously ludicrous claim. Careful...you might be accused of having an anti-American bias with statements like that. There are nuts in every country. Including yours.
 
Remember they are Americans. A large proportion of Americans don't think anything outside the USA really exists.

Hans

Until it ups and kicks them in the pants.
I an NOT one of these Americans who loves to attack their own country, but I won't defend the incredible ignorance of the outside world many Americans have.
Back in 1942, someone did a great cartoon of an American going about his everyday life, ignoring radio news a about Japan and the Nazi's aggressive moves, and in the final panal he is Jumping up after hearing about Pearl Harbor yelling ":WHY DID"NT ANYBODY WARN ME!?' Still applies.
 
Last edited:
Until it ups and kicks them in the pants.
I an NOT one of these Americans who loves to attack their own country, but I won't defend the incredible ignorance of the outside world many Americans have.
Back in 1942, someone did a great cartoon of an American going about his everyday life, ignoring radio news a about Japan and the Nazi's aggressive moves, and in the final panal he is Jumping up after hearing about Pearl Harbor yelling ":WHY DID"NT ANYBODY WARN ME!?' Still applies.

I agree that many...not most... Americans don't CARE what goes on outside the US unless, and until, it affects them directly. However, I can't agree that most Americans don't think anything outside the US really exists.
 
Rumor is that the Senate Dems have enough votes to pass their resolution to limit Trump's authority in Iran, empty as it might be. It would show a break from Trump for a few Republicans.


It's largely symbolic. Peosi's "It has real teeth" is just sheer politics.
Truth is, it's hard to frame something the would put strict limits on the Presidents war making powers while allowing him to respond to genuine emergencies. I guess a time limit after which he woul dneed congressional approval to continue actions would be the closest to something viable.
But then,I don't have much faith in the Congress to handle foreign affairs either, given they have their eyes constanly on the next election, and foreign affairs are a long term problem. What might look good to your voters might be bad long term.
I hope it passes though, just as a rebuke to Donnie.
 
I agree that many...not most... Americans don't CARE what goes on outside the US unless, and until, it affects them directly. However, I can't agree that most Americans don't think anything outside the US really exists.

I think Hans was using what is known as "Humourous exaggeration to make a point".
And I though that was pretty obvious.
 
I think Hans was using what is known as "Humourous exaggeration to make a point".
And I though that was pretty obvious.

Well, of course he wasn't being literal unless you think I thought he really meant a lot of Americans think there is a huge black void beyond the US borders. That he was being humorous would only be obvious to those who may have more knowledge of his posts than I do. Frankly, I see so much anti-Americanism that it's hard to tell who is being serious and who isn't. If he was being humorously sarcastic, then I apologize.
 
Trump Tweets

We are helping Apple all of the time on TRADE and so many other issues, and yet they refuse to unlock phones used by killers, drug dealers and other violent criminal elements. They will have to step up to the plate and help our great Country, NOW! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Cryin’ Chuck Schumer just said, “The American people want a fair trial in the Senate.” True, but why didn’t Nervous Nancy and Corrupt politician Adam “Shifty” Schiff give us a fair trial in the House. It was the most lopsided & unfair basement hearing in the history of Congress!
 
Well, of course he wasn't being literal unless you think I thought he really meant a lot of Americans think there is a huge black void beyond the US borders.
Outside of this forum, and not counting Americans who have travelled, or military who have been deployed to serve overseas, it is very sadly surprising that this sort of ignorance is EXACTLY the case. There are quite a number of Americans who cannot find even Canada or Mexico on a map, let alone European or Middle Eastern countries. They have no idea what languages are spoken (I have been asked in Boston if we speak English in Australia!) nor anything about world religions. In some places, this extends to ignorance of things outside their own state and even county. And this in the early 21st century...

That he was being humorous would only be obvious to those who may have more knowledge of his posts than I do. Frankly, I see so much anti-Americanism that it's hard to tell who is being serious and who isn't. If he was being humorously sarcastic, then I apologize.
To be fair, we non-Americans could see the forced humour immediately. The thing about sarcasm is that when written down it looks a lot like a serious comment. I think you can rest assured that anti-Americanism is actually rare, at least here. It's more like total frustration at seeing a good friend having their place continually trashed by loathsome ratbag neighbour who won't move out.
 
Trump Tweets

We are helping Apple all of the time on TRADE and so many other issues, and yet they refuse to unlock phones used by killers, drug dealers and other violent criminal elements. They will have to step up to the plate and help our great Country, NOW! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Cryin’ Chuck Schumer just said, “The American people want a fair trial in the Senate.” True, but why didn’t Nervous Nancy and Corrupt politician Adam “Shifty” Schiff give us a fair trial in the House. It was the most lopsided & unfair basement hearing in the history of Congress!
This is not Trump tweeting. He personally has little or no idea about what the impeachment process really is. I suspect he thinks it is like a bankruptcy hearing - he might get a judgement against him but unless it hurts him personally then he doesn't give a crap and will keep on doing the same crimes anyway.
 
This is not Trump tweeting. He personally has little or no idea about what the impeachment process really is. I suspect he thinks it is like a bankruptcy hearing - he might get a judgement against him but unless it hurts him personally then he doesn't give a crap and will keep on doing the same crimes anyway.

The post came from someone who doesn't seem to understand the impeachment process, sooo...
 
Outside of this forum, and not counting Americans who have travelled, or military who have been deployed to serve overseas, it is very sadly surprising that this sort of ignorance is EXACTLY the case. There are quite a number of Americans who cannot find even Canada or Mexico on a map, let alone European or Middle Eastern countries. They have no idea what languages are spoken (I have been asked in Boston if we speak English in Australia!) nor anything about world religions. In some places, this extends to ignorance of things outside their own state and even county. And this in the early 21st century...

I don't agree at all that there are 'quite a number of Americans who cannot find even Canada or Mexico on a map'. Are there some? Sure. But the vast majority certainly can do so. I live here and I know you are assuming something that is not true. Now....identifying European countries...yeah. A lot of people would not be able to identify some outside of perhaps the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. The Middle East? Ya got a point there!

To be fair, we non-Americans could see the forced humour immediately. The thing about sarcasm is that when written down it looks a lot like a serious comment. I think you can rest assured that anti-Americanism is actually rare, at least here. It's more like total frustration at seeing a good friend having their place continually trashed by loathsome ratbag neighbour who won't move out.

I agree that written sarcasm is ofen hard to distinguish from a serious post. That's why the :rolleyes: should be used.
Anti-Americanism may be rare on ISF, but I've seen it a lot in other groups I belong to.
 
I don't agree at all that there are 'quite a number of Americans who cannot find even Canada or Mexico on a map'. Are there some? Sure. But the vast majority certainly can do so. I live here and I know you are assuming something that is not true. Now....identifying European countries...yeah. A lot of people would not be able to identify some outside of perhaps the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. The Middle East? Ya got a point there!
Re the first point, I was working in Oregon (Beaverton) some years ago...well, MANY years ago, and a person I was assigned to work with was one of those "out of my cold dead hands" gun-nuts. Kept a piece in his desk drawer and all. Over a beer or three one evening, it turned out he had no idea Mexico bordered the USA (he thought it was in South America), and was under an impression there was some other country between the USA and Canada (is Washington state a country??). I might point out that he was a lead computer programmer in a high-tech company. Alas, some of his "friends" at the bar were unable to correct him. It was...illuminating! :)

But I agree - this is a rare exception. The Internet, for all it's faults, has at least expanded awareness of other places and cultures.

I agree that written sarcasm is ofen hard to distinguish from a serious post. That's why the :rolleyes: should be used.
Anti-Americanism may be rare on ISF, but I've seen it a lot in other groups I belong to.
Other countrys' flags have been burned too. Could it be anti-imperialism rather than anti-Americanism per se?

</derail>
 
Trump bragging on Fox how profitably he is selling US force protection to South Korea and Saudi Arabia is disgusting.
Well if it makes you feel any better, it turns out that the U.S. may not be making huge profits in Saudi Arabia after all...

From; http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/pentagon-contradicts-trump-again-time-saudi-arabia
(Trump) : “I said, ‘Listen, you’re a very rich country. You want more troops? I’m going to send them to you, but you have to pay us.’ They’re paying us. They’ve already deposited $1 billion in the bank.”

The Defense Department appeared to contradict Trump’s boast…Pentagon spokesperson Cmdr. Rebecca Rebarich said, “The Department of Defense has engaged Saudi Arabia on contributing to US activities.....discussions are ongoing to formalize these contributions.” There is, of course, a significant difference between Saudi Arabia already “depositing $1 billion in the bank” and “ongoing” discussions with Saudi Arabia about formalizing the country’s “contributions.”


And it gets better!

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/politics/us-troops-saudi-arabia/index.html
Saudi Arabia has also not reimbursed the US for the cost of aerial refueling operations that the US military provided to Saudi warplanes....In December of 2018 the US military said it was seeking a $331 million reimbursement from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates...More than a year later, the Saudis have still not paid that bill.

So the U.S. hasn't been paid yet, and the Saudis still owe the U.S. a whole lot of cash. I wonder if they ever do pay $1 billion to the U.S., whether part of that will be the cost of refueling or will that be extra?
 
Well if it makes you feel any better, it turns out that the U.S. may not be making huge profits in Saudi Arabia after all...



From; http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/pentagon-contradicts-trump-again-time-saudi-arabia

(Trump) : “I said, ‘Listen, you’re a very rich country. You want more troops? I’m going to send them to you, but you have to pay us.’ They’re paying us. They’ve already deposited $1 billion in the bank.”



The Defense Department appeared to contradict Trump’s boast…Pentagon spokesperson Cmdr. Rebecca Rebarich said, “The Department of Defense has engaged Saudi Arabia on contributing to US activities.....discussions are ongoing to formalize these contributions.” There is, of course, a significant difference between Saudi Arabia already “depositing $1 billion in the bank” and “ongoing” discussions with Saudi Arabia about formalizing the country’s “contributions.”




And it gets better!



From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/politics/us-troops-saudi-arabia/index.html

Saudi Arabia has also not reimbursed the US for the cost of aerial refueling operations that the US military provided to Saudi warplanes....In December of 2018 the US military said it was seeking a $331 million reimbursement from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates...More than a year later, the Saudis have still not paid that bill.



So the U.S. hasn't been paid yet, and the Saudis still owe the U.S. a whole lot of cash. I wonder if they ever do pay $1 billion to the U.S., whether part of that will be the cost of refueling or will that be extra?
Don't worry, Im sure next time Trump mentions it they will have paid the USA 10 billion. If you can't trust the president who can you trust?
 
...

New Parnas documents show how Rudy's guys might have tried to harm Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch

As in, it's looking far too much like Trump knew and approved of a plot by his minions to cause a US ambassador harm to get her out of their way. As Trump himself claims he said in his call with Zelensky -

“Well, she’s going to go through some things.”


Somewhat related, though...

Ukraine prosecutor offered information related to Biden in exchange for ambassador’s ouster, newly released materials show
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom