• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not completely certain the Biden video hasn't been slightly altered. The "local news station" only gets 60 "legit" results in a google search (it has a bunch more of the duplicates, though), and fake news is VERY sophisticated now.
 
I'm not completely certain the Biden video hasn't been slightly altered. The "local news station" only gets 60 "legit" results in a google search (it has a bunch more of the duplicates, though), and fake news is VERY sophisticated now.

With deepfakes, this is going to get increasingly hard to sift through, and very, very soon.
 
.....

Bernie is calling for a popular movement to recapture the legislature. He intends to use the bully pulpit of the presidency to do so. ....
Tell me, do you see this populist movement growing, led by Bernie marching in the street or whatever?

It did not materialize in 2016 and it's not bigger now.

It's one of my complaints about Bernie, he keeps saying all we need is tis populist movement and we can fix the country. I agree, but I don't see it happening.

On a related note, I channel-surfed by Biden preaching to some group of teachers telling them how he was going to increase their salaries ("What we need is") via some federal subsidies. The promise was completely hollow coming from a man who was VP for eight years. Why wasn't this done under Obama and how is Biden going to get it done now?

All these candidates are promising free ponies.
 
Tell me, do you see this populist movement growing, led by Bernie marching in the street or whatever?

It did not materialize in 2016 and it's not bigger now.

Strange, it seems stronger now because he ran in 2016. There is a hunger for progressive politics in this country and it's growing.
 
On a related note, I channel-surfed by Biden preaching to some group of teachers telling them how he was going to increase their salaries ("What we need is") via some federal subsidies. The promise was completely hollow coming from a man who was VP for eight years. Why wasn't this done under Obama...
I can think of a few possibilities....

1) As VP his ability to set policy was limited. (Congress largely controls the purse strings, and while the executive branch might have some influence, it would likely be the president who holds the most weight.)

2) It has been almost 3 years since Obama was president; maybe the problem with teacher's salaries were not as serious back then as they are now.

Those are just possibilities. I don't know if either of them are the real reason, but just assuming "it didn't happen when he was VP so why trust him now" might be incorrect.

and how is Biden going to get it done now?
Good question. How are any of the candidates going to get any of their policies enacted (especially ones that involve money)? Its an election promise, no better or worse than any of the other campaign promises that involve government spending. (Heck, I'd say there's probably a better chance of getting some minor spending program like this enacted than getting a 'medicare for all' program running.)
 
Has anyone else been seeing Tom Steyer commercials on TV? Advertising for the Primary, I guess, because they say "Tom Steyer. Democrat for President 2020."
They focus on calling Trump a fraud and a failed businessman, saying that it will take a real billionaire to beat him at his own game.
 
I'm not completely certain the Biden video hasn't been slightly altered. The "local news station" only gets 60 "legit" results in a google search (it has a bunch more of the duplicates, though), and fake news is VERY sophisticated now.

Do you think it's a fake or altered video? Has his campaign said so yet? We know these are coming, just wondering if it's that blatant already.
 
I can think of a few possibilities....

1) As VP his ability to set policy was limited. (Congress largely controls the purse strings, and while the executive branch might have some influence, it would likely be the president who holds the most weight.)
:rolleyes: So it was Obama's fault and Biden in control would take action?

2) It has been almost 3 years since Obama was president; maybe the problem with teacher's salaries were not as serious back then as they are now.
OMG! are you serious? Got any data to back that nonsense up?

Those are just possibilities. I don't know if either of them are the real reason, but just assuming "it didn't happen when he was VP so why trust him now" might be incorrect.
:rolleyes: Why should we believe that? And if you have other reasons, speak up.

Biden is out there spewing the same old stuff, "elect me and can fix everything." It's standard dishonesty.


Good question. How are any of the candidates going to get any of their policies enacted (especially ones that involve money)? Its an election promise, no better or worse than any of the other campaign promises that involve government spending. (Heck, I'd say there's probably a better chance of getting some minor spending program like this enacted than getting a 'medicare for all' program running.)
Job on first day: actually drain the swamp, especially the people Trump has installed. That's a big job.

Day two, reverse all the Ex Orders Trump enacted that resulted in pollution and other damages to the country.

I wish they were campaigning on starting with these issues.

Then I wish they would campaign on realistic steps rather than magically claiming they can fix everything.
 
Popehat's snarky take on Harris dropping out:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1201935494893883392
Kamala Harris reluctantly agrees to concede an outcome she believes is unfair and unjust because economics, bias, and the overwhelming might of opponents forecloses any other avenue.

Sounds familiar.

Let's all take a moment to shed a tear for the prosecutor who didn't get a fair deal from the system.
 
Last edited:
What are you basing that on?

I think there is evidence, but it's really just a mood measurement, which is purely subjective.

Several prominent congressional wins for progressive candidates, chief among them AOC (who bumped off a powerful democratic incumbent). Then you have the teacher's strike, young people showing up in mass for climate strikes, growing class consciousness in response to wealth inequality. The elements are all there.
 
He wanted Trump to drain the swamp.

Who is the swamp? Depends on who you ask.

Actually, what he said was that he voted for Trump to "Flip the Table", which is pretty consistent with " Insulting people and/or selling out the country for personal gain?" if you bother to stop and think about it.
 
Re: Biden promising pay increases for teachers, even though it wasn't done during the Obama administration...
I can think of a few possibilities....

1) As VP his ability to set policy was limited. (Congress largely controls the purse strings, and while the executive branch might have some influence, it would likely be the president who holds the most weight.)

:rolleyes: So it was Obama's fault and Biden in control would take action?
I wouldn't say it was Obama's "fault"... just that different politicians will have different priorities, which might be influenced by current events.

2) It has been almost 3 years since Obama was president; maybe the problem with teacher's salaries were not as serious back then as they are now.
OMG! are you serious? Got any data to back that nonsense up?
http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/te..._the_highest_and_lowest_teacher_salaries.html

Three states have seen average teacher salaries drop in the past year. 31 Other states have seen salaries increase, but slower than the current rate of inflation. So yes, over at least the past couple of years things seem to have gotten worse.
Biden is out there spewing the same old stuff, "elect me and can fix everything."
Yes, I am sure he his. And how is that different than any other politician?

Its a relatively minor spending proposal. Something that is probably achievable. I just think its a bit weird to assume that it evidence that Biden can't be trusted when its pretty much standard fare for politicians to promise things.

Good question. How are any of the candidates going to get any of their policies enacted (especially ones that involve money)? Its an election promise, no better or worse than any of the other campaign promises that involve government spending. (Heck, I'd say there's probably a better chance of getting some minor spending program like this enacted than getting a 'medicare for all' program running.)
Job on first day: actually drain the swamp, especially the people Trump has installed. That's a big job.
First of all, note that I didn't say "What should a president do the first few days in office". I asked "How can any president fulfill campaign promises when they don't control the budget directly".

Secondly, I think draining the swamp will be both easier and harder than you think.

Easier, since much of the 'swamp' involves temporary hires that are associated with the administration. Trump's cabinet and various high-level people in the government automatically disappear with the change in government.

Harder, since some of the people Trump has installed (judges) can only be removed through impeachment, which is not an easy solution.
Day two, reverse all the Ex Orders Trump enacted that resulted in pollution and other damages to the country.

I wish they were campaigning on starting with these issues.
Actually, a lot of the candidates have talked about executive orders to reverse some of Trump's damages...

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/04/democrats-executive-orders-2020-1301633
https://www.politico.com/2020-election/candidates-views-on-the-issues/immigration-reform/daca/

Of course, the problem with executive orders is that they can easily be reversed by the next Republican president.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom