• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wholeheartedly agree and I like both candidates. I would vote for either one in the general election.

I hate to say this, but my instincts tell me Mike Bloomberg is probably the best candidate to ensure we get Trump out of the White House. He was an okay mayor of New York City. I knew many people who despised him but I could never really understand why. The Stop and Frisk program went too far, and Bloomberg was way too locked into it, but other than that, I can't think of any real criticism I have about his performance.

I like him mostly because I think he can win.

Absolutely not.

Police brutality is a show-stopper for me. There are plenty of better candidates.
 
Great, so let's stop talking about Buttigieg's commie parents. And Harris' while we're at it.

Why don't you just stop referring to anyone's parents as commies? Is it because you want to infect them with sleaze?
 
Last edited:
Congratulations, you have reached the final fallback position. The first fallback position was that I (or the right-wing echo chamber) had made up the story about Pete's parents being Marxists. The second was a rather flimsy attempt to claim that just because they started a society dedicated to the works of the founder of the Communist Party in Italy didn't make them Marxists. BTW, Mayor Pete is not alone; another prominent moderate was a red diaper baby too.

Such scumbag tactics. This is what the Republican party has become. Totally incapable of defending their actions, they have resorted to smear through association.

Why not talk about actual issues like:
Tax breaks for the wealthy
Truth in the political process.
Making government efficient.
Healthcare.
Poverty
The homeless.

There is so much that we could focus on and instead you want to focus on what somebody's parents did 40 years ago.
 
Last edited:
Such scumbag tactics. This is what the Republican party has become. Totally incapable of defending their actions, they have resorted to smear through association.

Why not talk about actual issues like:
Tax breaks for the wealthy
Truth in the political process.
Making government efficient.
Healthcare.
Poverty
The homeless.

There is so much that we could focus on and instead you want to focus on what somebody's parents did 40 years ago.

Because Republicans don't give a horse's ass about any of those things. They only care about enriching themselves at the expense of others, and getting ready for the Second Coming of Jeebus, which they're sure is coming any day now, so why do anything about anything?
 
Because Republicans don't give a horse's ass about any of those things. They only care about enriching themselves at the expense of others, and getting ready for the Second Coming of Jeebus, which they're sure is coming any day now, so why do anything about anything?

I know. It's the patented dishonesty of the GOP.

They are appealing to irrational fears based on what? That Mayor Pete's father...not even Mayor Pete translated the books of an Italian who among other things espoused Marxist ideas during the Great Depression.

That's relevant to an election in 2020. :rolleyes:
 
I know. It's the patented dishonesty of the GOP.

They are appealing to irrational fears based on what? That Mayor Pete's father...not even Mayor Pete translated the books of an Italian who among other things espoused Marxist ideas during the Great Depression.

That's relevant to an election in 2020. :rolleyes:

Next they'll try to link him to Sacco and Vanzetti!*

*Please, let's not go down the rabbit hole over the question of their guilt or innocence.
 
Next they'll try to link him to Sacco and Vanzetti!*

*Please, let's not go down the rabbit hole over the question of their guilt or innocence.

I always thought Sacco and Vanzetti sounded more like an Italian fashion design house.:D
 
I know. It's the patented dishonesty of the GOP.

They are appealing to irrational fears based on what? That Mayor Pete's father...not even Mayor Pete translated the books of an Italian who among other things espoused Marxist ideas during the Great Depression.

That's relevant to an election in 2020. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the guy was almost a complete stranger to Mayor Pete, and had no influence on him at all.
 
Yeah, the guy was almost a complete stranger to Mayor Pete, and had no influence on him at all.

Are you still talking about his father's translation of a book? :rolleyes:

I have two brothers, same parents, same house we grew up in. We are close in age, went to the same schools.

The three of us could not be more different politically. Why is that? We all had the same parental influence.

The premise here about Buttigieg is absurd.
 
Yeah, the guy was almost a complete stranger to Mayor Pete, and had no influence on him at all.

Whatever the influence, we see the results of it in Pete.

Since we have an actual mayor Pete rather than a hypothetical mayor Pete, we dont need to use something about parents to infer behavior. Actually mayor Pete behavior is sufficient.
 
Pete Buttigieg getting hate from the left and right is pretty amusing to see.

Warren and Bernie getting hate from the left and the right is about as amusing.

The hate from the right is pretty much a given, of course, given the (D).

There's a lot of things that I like about Mayor Pete, regardless. I simply don't think that he would be the best President among the current options for the Democrats.
 
Althouse has an interesting take on Mayor Pete, based on recent polling:

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2019/11/what-happened-to-warren-look-at-this.html

In a nutshell: Biden's numbers are consistently the best, but Biden probably shouldn't be the nominee. Who should replace him? People were considering Warren, and her numbers went up. Then people decided it wasn't her, and her numbers went down again. Now Buttigieg's numbers are going up, which means it's probably his turn to get considered as the counter-Biden. Althouse predicts that he'll have the same rise and fall as Warren. People are gonna consider him, and then set him aside, and consider one of the other Biden alternatives. In the end, it will probably be Biden.

You know, the Democrats used to be the "fall in love" party, and the Republicans the "fall in line" party, and I wonder if the roles haven't switched to a certain degree. Hillary was a "fall in line" candidate and Biden would be as well. Kerry in 2004 was not the candidate the Democrats fell in love with (that was Howard Dean). Gore was another "fall in line" candidate. Only Obama fits the "fall in love" type, since the turn of the millennium.
 
Warren and Bernie getting hate from the left and the right is about as amusing.

The hate from the right is pretty much a given, of course, given the (D).

There's a lot of things that I like about Mayor Pete, regardless. I simply don't think that he would be the best President among the current options for the Democrats.

He might be, but he's not electable. Way too many otherwise liberal Americans, including my wife, are uncomfortable with a gay President.
 
You know, the Democrats used to be the "fall in love" party, and the Republicans the "fall in line" party, and I wonder if the roles haven't switched to a certain degree. Hillary was a "fall in line" candidate and Biden would be as well. Kerry in 2004 was not the candidate the Democrats fell in love with (that was Howard Dean). Gore was another "fall in line" candidate. Only Obama fits the "fall in love" type, since the turn of the millennium.
The Republicans are in love with Trump?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom