• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again.

*Deadpan* Oh no. Not tapes. What will Trump ever do when we again prove he's done the things we've already proven he did and he's admitted he's done already and it hasn't made a difference? If we prove he did it again it might... not make a difference again. Oh no.
 
He'll probably call it a Coup, the over-dramatic ponce. And his followers will agree.

I’d heard the word pounce before but never knew the precise definition. Apparently it can mean a pimp or a man given to effeminate or ostentatious display in manners, speech, or dress; a fussy dresser.

Yes, as they say in Texas, there will be hunting from the specified dog. Or something like that.
 
Not to sound anti-democratic but other than maybe some generalities I don't presume any "people's right to know" the president's health status.

Bernie released his own info; Bernie's call.

The President is our employee, invested with unique powers. We are entitled to know whether he is up to the job.

I note that both Reagan and GW Bush formally made their VPs Acting President for a few hours while they were under anesthesia, taking the office back after they recovered. They never said "It's nobody's business."
 
Yeah I kinda realized that might be a part of reasoning behind it, but does that kind of thing work with car insurance? I assume that car insurance is mandatory, so can people get car insurance that doesn't offer any real coverage just so they can say that their car is insured?

Car insurance is largely a standardized product, with options as to what's covered and by what amount. Some people hold down their premiums by choosing the minimum coverage with the lowest legal limits. But their policy specifies exactly what they're getting/not getting. Health insurance is different on multiple levels.
 
Again.

*Deadpan* Oh no. Not tapes. What will Trump ever do when we again prove he's done the things we've already proven he did and he's admitted he's done already and it hasn't made a difference? If we prove he did it again it might... not make a difference again. Oh no.

What do you think _would_ change anything?
 
What do you think _would_ change anything?

Nothing, at least not in this context.

We have to give Trumpers an alternative to Trump we can live with. Sorry. I don't like it either.

The "win" state at the end of all of this is going to involve some compromise, as dirty as it feels.
 
Last edited:
.....
Full disclosure: I'm one of those really bad progressives who dislikes the ACA and the whole health care debate circa 2009/10 is when I lost all respect for most dem leadership. I even tried to reform towards the end, but then the celebratory attitude for presenting us with a highly polished turd sealed the deal. It still gets reflexively protected (sometimes even venerated) and I sort of understand, but then that also ends up cutting us off at the knees when we talk about needing to reform the system...anyways, I digress.

The ACA was an attempt to make health insurance available to people who couldn't get it through an employer. It built on the existing system that everybody is familiar with. There might have been other ways to accomplish the same goal incrementally: letting people buy into Medicare at a younger age, expanding Medicaid by itself, creating a public option to compete with commercial insurance, etc. The ACA is the relatively conservative program that Obama was able to get through Congress, and even then the Repubs spent the next six years trying to kill it. But it did give health coverage to 20+ million people who didn't have it before. I doubt they want to give it up. The choice 10 years ago wasn't the ACA or single-payer; the choice was ACA or the existing system.
 
The President is our employee, invested with unique powers. We are entitled to know whether he is up to the job.

I note that both Reagan and GW Bush formally made their VPs Acting President for a few hours while they were under anesthesia, taking the office back after they recovered. They never said "It's nobody's business."
I see it as more binary. If they're going to be out of commission entirely they put No. 2 in charge, but otherwise they are the president by virtue of the electoral process.

I never assume any of them are being completely candid. And really, I think there can be pretty good reasons for not disclosing everything.
 
Sarah Sanders Claims Donald Trump Reads 'More than anybody I know'

Former White House press secretary Sarah Sanders has defended President Donald Trump over claims in a new book by a White House insider that aides to the commander-in-chief have to "dumb down" briefings.

Hitting back at the suggestion in the book A Warning, penned by an anonymous senior White House official, that the president was unable to focus his attention on more than one point at a time, Huckabee Sanders claimed that Trump read "more than anybody I know."

https://www.newsweek.com/sarah-sanders-donald-trump-reading-1473850
 
On the Trump health thing.

Is it telling that he hasn't played golf since October?
 
Sarah Sanders Claims Donald Trump Reads 'More than anybody I know'
I don’t like being called a liar. The other stuff bothered me far less.
- Sarah Sanders
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...witter-users-were-quick-to-respond-2019-11-25

Hmmm... perhaps if you didn't want to be called a 'liar' perhaps you might want to, I don't know... stop lying so much.

Unless of course she's telling the truth. But the only way that that could be is if Trump keeps a collection of "Where's Waldo" books at his desk.
 
I see it as more binary. If they're going to be out of commission entirely they put No. 2 in charge, but otherwise they are the president by virtue of the electoral process.

I never assume any of them are being completely candid. And really, I think there can be pretty good reasons for not disclosing everything.


Like what? We know that Presidents have concealed their health problems in the past. But the secrecy has served their own interests, not ours. FDR was re-elected at a time when everyone around him knew he was at death's door, and he did die a few months after the election. JFK -- the public picture of health and vigor -- had severe medical problems all his life. Reagan was showing symptoms of Alzheimer's that his staff worked hard to conceal. Everything the President does affects public policy and government action. We need -- and are entitled -- to know about potential and actual problems.
 
I don’t like being called a liar. The other stuff bothered me far less.
- Sarah Sanders
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...witter-users-were-quick-to-respond-2019-11-25

Hmmm... perhaps if you didn't want to be called a 'liar' perhaps you might want to, I don't know... stop lying so much.

Unless of course she's telling the truth. But the only way that that could be is if Trump keeps a collection of "Where's Waldo" books at his desk.

He hasn't the patience to find Waldo.
 
Sanders doesn't mind being a liar, just being called one.
Same with Miller, Trump and all the other Republicans who are happy being racists but resent being labeled as such.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom