Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Jul 15, 2011
- Messages
- 12,901
Why would you get health insurance that doesn't even offer any insurance coverage?
As far as I know the ACA is still in effect. Per my understanding, the main (only?) change is that you won't pay a penalty (tax) if you drop the expensive policies that actually cover stuff. I was in a sweet spot last year - paid about $9K in premiums but got almost all of it back as a tax credit because my income was right at the federal poverty line. I don't use my insurance, which is stupid, since I'm about 10 years overdue for every screening test known to man. But I don't dare drop it, even without getting the tax credit. I can budget for $9K a year plus co-pays and deductibles - I do have assets - but I can't budget for an absolutely open-ended US-style medical catastrophe.Well, in some places you legally _have_ to get insurance, so people take the minimum plan, which essentially covers nothing.
I mention denial because I bet that's part of what's going with the $59 monthly plans. My guess is that people are dropping $700-$800 plans and betting against a catastrophe, but still want a fig leaf. That may even make superficial sense at the individual level, but I doubt if it's good public policy, because that's how people go medically bankrupt. And then they're going to be subsidized by other taxpayers or other ratepayers.
I'll never forget that while Blue Cross Blue Shield would not cover me at any cost, Obama wanted me to have good health insurance. Even Mitt Romney wanted me to have good health insurance. After 6 months of no coverage I became eligible for the federal Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan, a quasi "Medicare for all" arrangement.
In theory the ACA could have worked great and still is, IMO, the sensible way to move forward. But you need a mandate with teeth. You need a standard suite of benefits. The default then becomes that people are presumed to have decent insurance. Between Romney and Warren, the Senate could probably hammer out a much-improved bipartisan ACA. But the sad truth is that for the moment, most of the GOP doesn't give a **** about health care.
tl;dr: The U.S. has a good template for transitioning to UHC. Romney knows this. But math-challenged Trump and Moscow Mitch won't let it happen on their watch. *That's* Trumpcare: Repeal the ACA, replace it with placebo policies that will ensure more bankruptcies and further incentivize the denial-of-care industry.
