• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a look at the article (well I assume it was the same article since you didn't post a link).

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/the-not-so-persuasive-sales-pitch-for-impeachment/

His argument isn't that the Democrats would "get everything they want" immediately after the impeachment. He is suggesting that the political fallout in the future (multiple republican congressmen face losing the 2020 senate election, the possibility of a divided republican party causing them to lose the 2020 presidental election) will result in the Democrats in control of both congress and the white house post-2020, allowing them to roll back Trump's actions.

So, his argument seem to be "put up with illegal activities because you get some benefit at the end".

To be honest, parts of it almost seem to be a parody of the republican talking points.
National review hates Trump
 
National review hates Trump

So? The question is why do they hate Trump? The National Review is one of the MOST conservative publications on the planet. Founded in the 1950s, it's an editorial magazine promoting conservatism.

It has endorsed Republican candidates 80 percent of the time and never a Democrat.

Could it be that they hate Trump because he's a bully and a lying POS? A man totally disinterested in promoting democracy abroad or at home. A man idotally devoid of character. Someone not to be trusted. A man who puts himself above everyone and everything.

There is NOTHING The National Review wants more than a Republican President, but Trump has gone too far.
 
Trump says he is a big fan or Erdogan.
Trump is a big fan of just about every dictator out there because he envies them:he wants to be a dictator.
If he is reelected, he will get his wish
 
It says something about the state of politics in the US that the exchanges of fire between Israel and Hamas ,which usually would dominate the news, are getting almost zero coverage in the US media.
 
Possibly. Or he really does think that the republicans should 'do the right thing', but he is being so subtle in his satire and mockery that it doesn't really come across.

If so, most of the comments don't recognize the subtle point.

I don't really think that's what he was doing.
 
So often I hear that Trump isn't the problem, he's the result.

I have to agree. He gave and gives his supporters what they already wanted. But I don't think anyone who isn't wearing blinders can disagree that Trump has made the division in our country worse with his hateful rhetoric. The name calling, the insults, the constant attacks on the press, the Dems, and anyone who dares disagree with him regardless of party just exacerbates the problem.
 
But if things look bleak for President Trump and he has already implicated VP Pence, POTUS could demand VPOTUS’s resignation and apoint someone else as Vice president. In fact, if you want to get all quid-pro-quo-y, POTUS could appoint a VP with the understanding that if Trump gets impeached and the new VP becomes POTUS, then he will appoint Trump as VP. And to make matters worse, the new president could then resign and Trump would be president again.

It wouldn't work like that. If Dump orders Pence to resign, Pence will tell him to eff off; Pence has absolutely no incentive to obey him and one huge incentive to disobey him because if Dump is convicted or ousted in any way, then Pence becomes President and he *KNOWS* he, himself, won't be impeached and convicted because the GOP will not, under any circumstances, allow Pelosi to sit in the Oval Office.

If Demp is not convicted (most likely) it remains business as usual.
 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...estroyed-my-career/ar-BBWHEWz?ocid=spartanntp

Chuck Woolery: Supporting Trump pretty much destroyed my career

Funny stuff. I don't think it's completely true but I do hope his support for Trump played into the destruction of his career.
I find it completely ironic that he is a Trump supporter (a president who tweets like a teenage girl, and regularly insults people with childish rhetoric), yet he complains that other people are mean to him.
 
But if things look bleak for President Trump and he has already implicated VP Pence, POTUS could demand VPOTUS’s resignation and apoint someone else as Vice president. In fact, if you want to get all quid-pro-quo-y, POTUS could appoint a VP with the understanding that if Trump gets impeached and the new VP becomes POTUS, then he will appoint Trump as VP. And to make matters worse, the new president could then resign and Trump would be president again.

Fine print. The vote to remove a president from office and the vote to prevent him from holding high office are two distinct votes.
Finer print: but the second vote only requires a simple majority, so it is pretty likely he would be barred, and the above scenario is exceptionally unlikely.
Another problem with your scenario is that when the president nominates a vice president, they must be confirmed by both the senate and the house.

While the republicans in the senate may rubber stamp anyone that a republican puts forward, I would suspect the Democrats in the house would block anyone that they don't see as a straight shooter. The end result will probably be gridlock... with Trump trying to nominate someone either unqualified or corrupt, the senate saying "sure boss" and the democrats saying "pick someone who's not a joke".
 
I don't think all Trump supporters are evil or stupid (notice I said 'all') but I have to admit that, when I hear a person is a Trump supporter, my opinion of them plummets. I just don't see how anyone can support such a disgusting, loathsome, despicable, lying excuse for a man even if they agree with his policies.
 
So? The question is why do they hate Trump? The National Review is one of the MOST conservative publications on the planet. Founded in the 1950s, it's an editorial magazine promoting conservatism.

It has endorsed Republican candidates 80 percent of the time and never a Democrat.

Could it be that they hate Trump because he's a bully and a lying POS? A man totally disinterested in promoting democracy abroad or at home. A man idotally devoid of character. Someone not to be trusted. A man who puts himself above everyone and everything.

There is NOTHING The National Review wants more than a Republican President, but Trump has gone too far.
All true. Remember it was the National Review that, during the campaign, devoted a whole magazine to just one issue, namely, that Trump should not be the GOP nominee. I have a vague memory that even Mittens even made a contribution.
 
Another problem with your scenario is that when the president nominates a vice president, they must be confirmed by both the senate and the house.

While the republicans in the senate may rubber stamp anyone that a republican puts forward, I would suspect the Democrats in the house would block anyone that they don't see as a straight shooter. The end result will probably be gridlock... with Trump trying to nominate someone either unqualified or corrupt, the senate saying "sure boss" and the democrats saying "pick someone who's not a joke".

Wait. Are you suggesting that the House would not approve Donald Jr.?

Joking aside: you have a valid point.
 
It would be interesting to see what would happen to the GOP if Trump lost 2020 really badly, I am guessing it would change in an instant and Trump will be vilified and the GOP take a side step to the left.

While I have no doubt that the GOP would turn on Trump in a heartbeat should the need arise for whatever reason, there is no way they are taking any steps to the left. He would be labeled as "not a real conservative", and the GOP would veer even more to the right like they always do.
 
I don't think all Trump supporters are evil or stupid (notice I said 'all') but I have to admit that, when I hear a person is a Trump supporter, my opinion of them plummets. I just don't see how anyone can support such a disgusting, loathsome, despicable, lying excuse for a man even if they agree with his policies.

Technically, ignorance is another option. If they get all their news from Fox or if they get all their news from BillyBob in the break room at work, then might might easily conclude that President Trump really is the best President ever.

**** my spellchecker that constantly capitalizes President.
 
Last edited:
All true. Remember it was the National Review that, during the campaign, devoted a whole magazine to just one issue, namely, that Trump should not be the GOP nominee. I have a vague memory that even Mittens even made a contribution.

The publication has since become Trump-apologetic. Lindsey Graham was also one of Trump's critics but now he's the biggest sycophant in the Senate. Writers who were more critical of Trump have left their full-time positions (Jonah Goldberg, David French).
 
Technically, ignorance is another option. If they get all their news from Fox or if they get all their news from BillyBob in the break room at work, then might might easily conclude that President Trump really is the best President ever.

**** my spellchecker that constantly capitalizes President.

No, THAT kind of ignorance is the result of being stupid.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom