• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Brexit: Now What? 9 Below Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson appears to be rather confused about the deal "he" negotiated, just a small detail about customs and NI..... BBC News - General election 2019: Boris Johnson 'does not understand' deal trade checks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-50352678

Johnson says absolutely anything that will get him through the next minute, there's as much forethought and planning as a wind chime in whirlwind.

Straight out of the Trump playbook. Johnson had that tendency but now it seems to be a general strategy. Devout Tories and Brexiteers will hear the words and that will be good enough.
 
Straight out of the Trump playbook. Johnson had that tendency but now it seems to be a general strategy. Devout Tories and Brexiteers will hear the words and that will be good enough.

Far more than a tendency.

Johnson built his career on lying, the Times sacked him for it (he made a historical error in an article and rather than own up to it he doubled down and made up a quote from his godfather, a noted authority), and then was picked up by the Telegraph as Brussels Correspondant, a job that he interpreted as 'make up inflammatory lies about the EU', described as being like chucking rocks at a neighbour's greenhouse to hear the crash, and which he said gave him a "wierd sense if power". Some of those lies are still in circulation decades later and informed the nebulous idea of 'taking back control'.

(You probably already know all this but I don't think it can be restated enough how dishonest Johnson is or how scandalous his position as PM should be.)
 
The UK’s Macabre Final Election

Craig Murray said:
[...] The claims that Johnson did not understand his own deal are wide of the mark. He is not stupid; he knows what is in it. If you listen very carefully to what he said then and subsequently, he is not claiming his deal does not specify any checks between Northern Ireland and the mainland. What he is stating is his assurance that there will be no checks. This confirms the fears I have been reporting within the FCO, that Boris Johnson simply has no intention of actually implementing the withdrawal agreement. He has been negotiating in bad faith with the EU, and signing up to things he has no intention of doing in order to “Get Brexit Done”. He has no moral scruples over lying, it is not his style to think beyond immediate personal advantage, and he is still enamoured of the idea that in the end the EU will always buckle because it needs the UK market.

The stars have aligned perfectly for those of us who support Scottish Independence, and I am delighted that both Irish unification and Plaid Cymru have been given a bigger boost than seemed plausible just a very few years ago. This election is sordid, tawdry, corrupt and uninspiring; a fitting end for the UK and its long history of callous exploitation. Never has a state been more adept at using its system of law to shift resources from the poor to the rich. Never has a state’s dissolution been more overdue.


The balkanization of the UK? I have no opinion on that.
 
It is "inexplicable and shameful" that the UK government has not yet published a report on alleged Russian interference in British politics, Hillary Clinton has told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50382668

Gosh, I wonder why a Conservative Prime Minister (whose party has apparently accepted millions in donations from Russian sources) wouldn't want that report published before the election :rolleyes:
 
And now Nigel Fromage claims he was offered a peerage three days before he decided not to stand against Tories. Why is there no scandal? That should be enough to bring down a government, yet it's hardly caused a ripple.

I suppose part of it is that Nigel Farage has made the claim, it hasn't been confirmed by a more reliable (or should I say less unreliable) source such as the Conservative Party.

We the electorate are the problem. If the electorate cared more about the behaviour of politicians then politicians would care more about their behaviour.

Anyway, it's pretty well known that Boris Johnson will do pretty much anything to stay in power and he wants a no-deal Brexit so this hardly comes as a surprise.
 
The UK’s Macabre Final Election

The balkanization of the UK? I have no opinion on that.


The Balkan states seem to be a lot happier, more stable and more secure than they were in the 1990s, that's for sure.

I don't like Craig Murray, not one tiny little bit. He's a raving conspiracy theorist and he has his own agenda which he's quite happy to promote using somebody else's mandate. However he's not always wrong and some of his blog posts have been very perceptive.

This time though I think he is letting optimism run away with him. I don't think the SNP is going to do as well as he predicts because the unionist parties are entering into formal and informal electoral pacts against them, meanwhile the SGP is intent on standing no-hoper candidates all over the place. And we couldn't win every seat in Scotland or wipe out every Tory even in the black-swan event of 2015.

But even if it happened, I don't see what's to stop Johnston continuing to refuse another independence referendum, legislate to remove all meaningful powers from the Scottish parliament, and also legislate to make "campaigning to break up the UK" illegal. And if he does that, then I wouldn't bet against this becoming violent in a way that Scotland has avoided up to now. That sort of "Balkanisation" I think we could all do without.
 
Last edited:
The Balkan states seem to be a lot happier, more stable and more secure than they were in the 1990s, that's for sure.

On average, sure. Specific results may vary. Serbia is the exception, for the exact same reasons as now pester England. The only reason there was no unrest is a combination of collapsing birth rates and mass emigration, they lose almost 1% of their population per year.

Failed state incoming.

McHrozni
 
On average, sure. Specific results may vary. Serbia is the exception, for the exact same reasons as now pester England. The only reason there was no unrest is a combination of collapsing birth rates and mass emigration, they lose almost 1% of their population per year.

Failed state incoming.


Serbia and England, I can see the parallels. Not being English, although I'm obviously not promoting this nor would I be happy about it, it's not my main concern.
 
Meanwhile some schadenfreude:

https://twitter.com/Wayne_BayIey/status/1194020457772658690?s=19

Wayne BayIey
@Wayne_BayIey
....and the rest. I employed a full time campaign coordinator last week on a 2 month contract which has cost me thousands. I also have an outbuilding FULL of Brexit Party leaflets and signs ready for next weeks launch.

Nigel owes me over TEN GRAND.

Wow. Surely there must be some upper limit to how many can actually fit under the bus?
 
Oh dear what a pity how sad never mind.

Indeed.
Still, he says he's going to campaign as an Independent Brexit Party candidate. May as well, since he's spent all that money apparently...

I wonder how many others are planning on doing the same, now that Nige has dropped them (and kept their money).
 
The Balkan states seem to be a lot happier, more stable and more secure than they were in the 1990s, that's for sure.


Well they're happier than during the wars, sure, but compared to the situation before that, I would disagree on all but Slovenia and Croatia. Bosnia-Herzegovina f.e. ist an extremely poor practical EU-protectorate and Kosovo is a mafia haven with associated US base, a terrible place that everybody who can is leaving.

Anyway, I hope that if any such developments take place in the UK you guys manage to do it peacefully.
 
Last edited:
Serbia and England, I can see the parallels. Not being English, although I'm obviously not promoting this nor would I be happy about it, it's not my main concern.
The problem will be he overspill from those failed states onto their neighbours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom