• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Brexit: Now What? 9 Below Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind you, since in this case there is a single outcome to be determined, the use of a single transferable vote would then equate to the AV system, which was rejected by a referendum in 2011. So we couldn't do this without violating the will of the people as expressed in 2011.

Dave
Only for a General Election. I don't think we rejected it for advisory referendums.
 
I still don't see why No Deal has to be on a referendum at all.

The 2016 referendum was not about crashing out of the EU, and any further attempt to make it seem that that is in any way a reasonable interpretation of it needs to be killed with fire.

Any future referendum needs to be "this is the deal we have managed to get" vs "or should we just stay".
 
I still don't see why No Deal has to be on a referendum at all.

The 2016 referendum was not about crashing out of the EU, and any further attempt to make it seem that that is in any way a reasonable interpretation of it needs to be killed with fire.

It should be on the referendum in order to kill it with fire. Have it unequivocally voted "no", in a binding referendum.
 
I still don't see why No Deal has to be on a referendum at all.

The 2016 referendum was not about crashing out of the EU, and any further attempt to make it seem that that is in any way a reasonable interpretation of it needs to be killed with fire.

Any future referendum needs to be "this is the deal we have managed to get" vs "or should we just stay".
I disagree, it should be on the paper because it is not about rerunning the last referendum rather deciding what is best going forward. If enough idiots think Rees-Mogg's prediction of a 50 year recession is what they want then frankly that is what we deserve.
 
I still don't see why No Deal has to be on a referendum at all.

Because otherwise the No Deal vermin will continue to claim they would've won if their option was on the referendum, they will scream, they will shout and they will eventually win another referendum anyway.

All that can be mitigated if No Deal is a part of the next Brexit referendum. It won't stop their shouting but it will at least give us means to contain it in the loony bin where it belongs. They will have lost and deal with it eventually I guess. Or not and be institutionalized. Either way is fine.

McHrozni
 
It should be on the referendum in order to kill it with fire. Have it unequivocally voted "no", in a binding referendum.

No, no, no. Were Plato alive today he would have a fit. He knew even a couple of thousand years ago that you should NEVER let the hoi polloi make political decisions. (cf Republic)

Public opinion is ignorant, ill-informed and unpleasant.
 
<snip>
as it is the baby boomers who voted leave,
<snip>
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/over-65s-brexit/

A minor correction. Not all "baby boomers" voted leave.
I do sometimes get tired of being lumped in with the rest of them.

On another (totally different) point, I recently, finally, got around to transferring some money into my French account. I should have done it months ago, before the pound nose dived, but I still don't know (of course)which way it will go in the future. In a way I would of course like a recovery in the pounds value, even if it means I lose out.

Dave
 
A minor correction. Not all "baby boomers" voted leave.
I do sometimes get tired of being lumped in with the rest of them.

On another (totally different) point, I recently, finally, got around to transferring some money into my French account. I should have done it months ago, before the pound nose dived, but I still don't know (of course)which way it will go in the future. In a way I would of course like a recovery in the pounds value, even if it means I lose out.

Dave

Mrs Don is a US/UK dual national and her parents are US citizens resident in the US. Over the last 25 years or so they've helped Mrs Don's sister and her family financially from time to time and in the interests of fairness usually gift Mrs Don a similar amount. Because of this we now have a modest US nest egg which has appreciated considerably in sterling terms recently.

Mrs Don has suggested repatriating some or all of this money, I've tended to leaving it there just in case.
 
A minor correction. Not all "baby boomers" voted leave.
I do sometimes get tired of being lumped in with the rest of them.

I'm 51, which probably makes me a Generation X dude. I voted remain, and will do so again given the chance.
 
Mrs Don is a US/UK dual national and her parents are US citizens resident in the US. Over the last 25 years or so they've helped Mrs Don's sister and her family financially from time to time and in the interests of fairness usually gift Mrs Don a similar amount. Because of this we now have a modest US nest egg which has appreciated considerably in sterling terms recently.

Mrs Don has suggested repatriating some or all of this money, I've tended to leaving it there just in case.

Not a nest egg, it is there to pay for local taxes and services on my French maison secondaire (money hole).

I normally transfer money about once a year, This should last for three.

I did find it quite frightening how easy it was. I did not have enough money to hand, so Mrs.Dave transferred some to me, And I then used my usual system for moving it. The whole operation took about 90 min, and was done from France.

Dave
 
No, no, no. Were Plato alive today he would have a fit. He knew even a couple of thousand years ago that you should NEVER let the hoi polloi make political decisions. (cf Republic)

Public opinion is ignorant, ill-informed and unpleasant.

We've already let the public make a political decision. The only way to end up with a result that most people can live with is to allow them to make a slightly more informed decision.
 
That is what got us into this mess. We had a vote to leave in circumstances where any particular way of leaving is opposed by the majority.
I think rather like the Tory leadership election you list all the options and keep eliminating until an option gains 50%. A short cut to that is the single transferable vote, where people rank their preferences in order.

I agree about the technique, but you might want to choose a different example to illustrate it....
 
We've already let the public make a political decision. The only way to end up with a result that most people can live with is to allow them to make a slightly more informed decision.

Look... the only way this is going to work is to simply partition the island. Let all the local authorities that voted to Remain remain in the EU and those that voted Leave can leave. A few house moves later everyone gets what they want.

Seems flawless to me.

:)
 
Look... the only way this is going to work is to simply partition the island. Let all the local authorities that voted to Remain remain in the EU and those that voted Leave can leave. A few house moves later everyone gets what they want.

Seems flawless to me.

:)

Or why not reenact the War of the Roses, except this time, the whole of the west side versus the east?
 
About 2.5 million, who oppose the act of national suicide known as Brexit by 4:1, while 2 million Brexit supporting (2:1) oldsters have died off. A significant change.
That is a fun question. Brexiteers must perforce rely upon 2 million votes of now dead persons. Thus if democracy is to be extended beyond the grave, surely the voters of 1973 ought to be included in the interest of democracy, right? All hail the necro vote. Or just the necro votes we like. Or something.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom