• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned this before. "Around here" the legal age of majority is 16. We'd be letting her vote, get married and inherit property without the need for a trustee, and trying her as an adult if she committed a crime. I'm honestly not sure what the age of majority is in Sweden, but considering that there are countries in which someone of her age is considered to be a legal adult, describing her as a "child" seems perverse.

Sweden is 18 apparently

No offence, as different strokes for different folks and that, but find the highlighted a bit dodge
 
Yousafzai started out as a teen celebrity after being interviewed for a New York Times documentary, giving media interviews and speaking before government bodies about life as a girl under Taliban rule. She did not become internationally known as an actual activist for girls' education until after the infamous failed assassination attempt, more than three years after she first became a celebrity.

There are some interesting parallels between Malala and Greta. In her home country of Pakistan, Malala was viewed and described by a substantial portion of the public in much the same terms that Greta is viewed by those critical of her: that she is ignorantly speaking out of place, exaggerating or inventing the problems she speaks about for dramatic purposes, and was being manipulated as a tool by adults with political agendas. Despite the fact that the Taliban leadership claimed responsibility for attacking her and openly declared that she was a target for another assassination attempt, there is a popular conspiracy theory among pro-Taliban Pakistanis that Malala staged her failed assassination for publicity, either on her own or with the help of the CIA. Malala's book is banned from schools in Pakistan, and there is actually an anti-Malala school holiday.

In terms of the maturity of their activism, on the other hand, it is ignorant to compare Thunberg to Yousafzai. It took three years of literally nothing but awareness-raising speaking tours before Malala Yousafzai was able to create a foundation and a raise funds for more substantial activism work beyond simply speaking. By now she has been a celebrity for more than a decade, so of course she now has a network and formal organization. Greta Thunberg has only been an activist for roughly a year, and first began her public speaking around ten months ago. Of course she has not established a support network or raised funds capable of doing "more work" than speaking engagements yet. To criticize her on these grounds is to set fantastically unrealistic goals.
 
Think the difference is no one in the western world is arguing about whether Yousafzai is a genuinely cool activist chick.

Which us kind of the point.

She walks the walk.
 
Think the difference is no one in the western world is arguing about whether Yousafzai is a genuinely cool activist chick.

That's not even close to being true.

But I have to wonder why you think it's specifically "the western world's" opinion that matters, vis-a-vis Malala. Malala was not from the West, and while she supports a global idea, her actual activism is focused on improving educational opportunities for girls in countries that are also not in the West. Whereas, Greta is from the West, and addresses western nations primarily.
 
Last edited:
That's not even close to being true.

But I have to wonder why you think it's specifically "the western world's" opinion that matters, vis-a-vis Malala. Malala was not from the West, and while she supports a global idea, her actual activism is focused on improving educational opportunities for girls in countries that are also not in the West. Whereas, Greta is from the West, and addresses western nations primarily.

I don't
 
Sweden is 18 apparently

No offence, as different strokes for different folks and that, but find the highlighted a bit dodge


It's certainly possible to take issue with our age of majority,* but that's the situation. I was simply pointing out that to demand that someone who would be of legal adult status in some developed western societies be referred to as a "child" was a bit naive.


* the tourist trade at Gretna love it though.
 
Last edited:
So you specified that no one "in the western world" is arguing, because...?

I have to point out a moment of complete and utter honesty here.

And I profusely apologise

It was kind of a idiot post

The next rugby game is on in the RWC and was only half looking

South Africa 17 - Italy 3

I picked SA by 17

If I could make one point before going back

Yousafzai has done more for her fellow women than Geta could dream of.

But willing to re-evaluate in a few years
 
Well no it doesn't because I have spent the whole thread saying I believe AGW is involved.



I am getting slightly annoyed now with you lying about what I post.



This is a minor one. The rest have not been.



For the third time please stop.
And yet you don't listen to the people you claim to have listened to for your knowledge about climate change I.e. Cox and Attenborough
 
And yet you don't listen to the people you claim to have listened to for your knowledge about climate change I.e. Cox and Attenborough

No offence Darat

As I thought you were normal. Hey. Maybe you just think I am a ****

But I really struggle with you asking for ONE name of someone I listen to on climate change.

I give you two

Cox and Jim Salinger

Cox you argue against even though I said it wasn't because he was a climate scientist.

Salinger, you ignore, because you know I have worked with him and you would get your #### kicked.

You seem for some weird reason to think that that is all I listen to.

I get a bit miffed and say post yours

You run away and hide.
 
No offence Darat

As I thought you were normal. Hey. Maybe you just think I am a ****

But I really struggle with you asking for ONE name of someone I listen to on climate change.

I give you two

Cox and Jim Salinger

Cox you argue against even though I said it wasn't because he was a climate scientist.

Salinger, you ignore, because you know I have worked with him and you would get your #### kicked.

You seem for some weird reason to think that that is all I listen to.

I get a bit miffed and say post yours

You run away and hide.


I have no idea what you are arguing here. Does Salinger say there will be no catastrophic results of global warming?
 
No offence Darat



As I thought you were normal. Hey. Maybe you just think I am a ****



But I really struggle with you asking for ONE name of someone I listen to on climate change.



I give you two



Cox and Jim Salinger



Cox you argue against even though I said it wasn't because he was a climate scientist.



Salinger, you ignore, because you know I have worked with him and you would get your #### kicked.



You seem for some weird reason to think that that is all I listen to.



I get a bit miffed and say post yours



You run away and hide.
I can only go off what you actually post rather than what you imagine you have posted.
 
I can only go off what you actually post rather than what you imagine you have posted.

What I posted

Jim Salinger is a good one kiwi wise.

Helps I had a contract once where I used to work in close proximity to him.

Know it sounds odd but Brian Cox.

Not because of any fact of being a climate expert or geologist, but he is one of the brainiest dudes in the world and has an ability to study all the evidence and present it in a way that is easy to understand for people dimmer than him.

Which I am obviously strikingly one of

Salinger had a similar thing, but Cox is awesome.

Argue Salinger Darat. I am up for a laugh
 
I don't get it either. You agree with Salinger that there will be catastophic consequences. Yet you ridicule Thunberg for saying there will be catastophic consequences if we don't act soon.

I have never said I disagree with what she says, apart from the it is all going to happen in 11 years or it is unstoppable, let scare kids bit.

I keep repeating this, but it doesn't seem to register
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom