theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
Which is interesting in itself.
What can make a real difference can come from unexpected directions.
Yup. It'll be interesting if Attenborough makes a real difference. Likewise Thunberg.
Which is interesting in itself.
What can make a real difference can come from unexpected directions.
One of the criticisms of the celebration of Thunberg is that she's being celebrated for preaching to the choir. If the goal is to convert the people you're dependent on on for the change you need, then Thunberg is basically a no-op.
On the other hand, it also doesn't really need to be celebrated as a "brave" campaign.Appealing to the published science will never be effective in convincing people who don’t care about science. This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t bother with it,
This seems like a non sequitur, but okay. How's that working out for you? If I understand you correctly, appealing to science to address the claims of the young-Earthers is also a no-op.otherwise we’d never address the claims of people who believe the earth is 6000 years old.
Not the children's crusade but certainly he is viewed as a brave campaigner making a real difference.Nobody is celebrating him as a brave campaigner, leading a Children's Crusade and making a real difference, either.
Not the children's crusade but certainly he is viewed as a brave campaigner making a real difference.
This seems like a non sequitur, but okay.
On the other hand, it also doesn't really need to be celebrated as a "brave" campaign.
She's being personally bullied by the President of the United States, a man notable for his history of petty personal vendettas. Not to mention a few thousand of his deplorables. How is it not brave to stand up to that?
To me, bravery requires some sort of personal risk, knowingly accepted. Is that how you think of it?
Putting climate change activism on the same footing as religious fervor is probably not a good strategy.
She's being personally bullied by the President of the United States, a man notable for his history of petty personal vendettas. Not to mention a few thousand of his deplorables. How is it not brave to stand up to that?
On top of everything else, that “journalist” who wrote that opinion piece on Thunberg is only 30 and not 69. Why should I take notice of such a young person....
You're literally doing it right now. Religious zealots have been doing exactly this for years.Well. I didn't. Not in any way. I was talking about accusations that Thunberg is terrifying young children. We have been doing exactly this for years.
Do you understand that outward behavior doesn't always accurately reflect internal state?I went to the climate protest, there were a lot of schoolkids there, they weren't acting all terrified.
Ah you are using an oversimplification of the word brave....In your opinion, what makes his campaign brave?
ETA: To me, bravery requires some sort of personal risk, knowingly accepted. Is that how you think of it?
Ah you are using an oversimplification of the word brave....
I went to the climate protest, there were a lot of schoolkids there, they weren't acting all terrified.
How many of them were just using it as an excuse to skip school? I know that's why I went to a student protest during highschool. Nominally it was about some budget cuts, but I didn't know or care about the details. It was just a nice change of pace for me.
No, I'm asking what they mean by the term, so we can discuss the issue in the sense that they intend, rather than in the sense that happens to occur to me at the moment. And I'm giving the sense that occurred to me, in case it's helpful in getting us on the same page.
Jeremy Clarkson said:And then pause for a moment to consider how soundly you sleep at night, knowing that adults are building and servicing and flying Sweden’s fighter planes. To keep you safe.