acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Dec 14, 2012
- Messages
- 41,014
ac, I'm not following you. If you acknowledge that she intended to kill then surely the standard I'll quote here:
Sec. 19.02. MURDER.
(b) A person commits an offense if he:
(1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;
has been met. The question of whether Guyger was justified by acting in self-defense is a separate. What brought her to the door is also a separate question. She may have gotten to the door by accident, but once there her actions were intentional and deliberate. If it a lesser charge is available to them the jury may compromise on a lesser verdict but I believe that would be contrary to the law and the facts of the case. Guyger intended to kill Jean. She either legitimately did it in self-defense or not. I believe she did not legitimately act in self-defense.
I think that's the question. Ddid she believe it was self defense? This really is a tough one in my mind. Maybe I would be more confident if I was more familiar with the case than I am.
I think for a police officer to say they didn't intend to kill when they pulled the trigger would almost be disingenuous. According to the statute, I would be wrong and there is no question the outcome. But, I also don't believe the statute had this situation in mind. I can't ignore her recklessness but I also believe it would be a mistake to not recognize a genuine extenuating circumstance.