• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty much what Greta says. It's amazing how so many people come out to criticize Greta by making the same points she's making.

Now show me this is what is actually happening. I didn't see the part of kids declaring to become the solution on the recent news.
They cut school Friday to march, not stayed in school to learn. A whole lot of them.
 
Now show me this is what is actually happening. I didn't see the part of kids declaring to become the solution on the recent news.
They cut school Friday to march, not stayed in school to learn. A whole lot of them.

As I pointed out earlier, civil disobedience sometimes gets results.
 
I could swear those goal posts were closer earlier

It is almost like someone moved them to about 5 mile away

It is obvious to all that SG was referring to the movement started by Greta. That’s where the posts are. Care to have a shot? Because if it was a movement comparable to that in 2019 many people would want to know about it.
 
Some people in this thread have been making up stuff about Greta and the movement she started. They must expect to be challenged and to provide evidence. If they don’t want to be challenged, don’t bother posting.
 
It is obvious to all that SG was referring to the movement started by Greta. That’s where the posts are. Care to have a shot? Because if it was a movement comparable to that in 2019 many people would want to know about it.
Some of us actually just read what people write.

Good on you speaking for other posters though.




Sent from my SM-J111M using Tapatalk
 
Some of us actually just read what people write.

Good on you speaking for other posters though.




Sent from my SM-J111M using Tapatalk

You are not going to get away with your evasion that easily.

Here’s what SG said:

There is a worldwide movement going that she started

Your response:

I think you might find it’s been going on since before she was born

Good trick that, but leaving aside this impossibility, you were asked to cite such a movement.

Crickets.
 
On a positive note, when do you suppose we're going to see a reduction in global CO2 emissions as a result of this movement. I know it's a little late for 2019 but I"m sure looking forward to the good news for 2020.

Pardon my cynicism at putting faith in politicians but I was riding around on my bicycle today and I saw literally hundreds of coroplast Green Party signs. Luckily these thing can be recycled but given the massive public awareness and current disdain for the product, it's kind of mind boggling that The Green Party would choose to go this route.

Then some guy for Finland told me that over there, election signs are banned so maybe our Canadian politicians are a little bit stupid.
 
On a positive note, when do you suppose we're going to see a reduction in global CO2 emissions as a result of this movement. I know it's a little late for 2019 but I"m sure looking forward to the good news for 2020.
I'm thinking you'll have to wait longer than that.

All the kids that are responding to her message are gonna have to go back to class, and graduate, and get jobs... Some of them are gonna have to get elected to high office... Some are gonna have to raise millions of dollars in campaign funds and lobbying... Some are going to have to join think tanks, and write policy papers, etc. It's going to be quite a few years, I think, before Thunberg's audience is in a position to make a change.
 
I'm thinking you'll have to wait longer than that.

All the kids that are responding to her message are gonna have to go back to class, and graduate, and get jobs... Some of them are gonna have to get elected to high office... Some are gonna have to raise millions of dollars in campaign funds and lobbying... Some are going to have to join think tanks, and write policy papers, etc. It's going to be quite a few years, I think, before Thunberg's audience is in a position to make a change.

Or in a few years they can cast their votes.

But you know this. I find it amusing the panic that has been generated at the thought of millions of passionate, active young people voting to reduce carbon emissions.
 
No panic I can see. But a portion of that number of kids won't remember next week and others won't vote like you think. Hopefully = most - do stay on it and try to make smarter decisions and vote where it helps.

Where I am the eco friendly party is small and when the chips are down don't always do the greenest choices. So voting is rather shooting craps.

The real difference is in life choices. No need to wait to start the fix there. Lots of small things anyone over 8 could do.
 
On a positive note, when do you suppose we're going to see a reduction in global CO2 emissions as a result of this movement.

Probably not soon. There are far to many right wing wack-a-doodles trying block and/or delay meaningful actions to reduce emissions.
 
I'm thinking you'll have to wait longer than that.

All the kids that are responding to her message are gonna have to go back to class, and graduate, and get jobs... Some of them are gonna have to get elected to high office... Some are gonna have to raise millions of dollars in campaign funds and lobbying... Some are going to have to join think tanks, and write policy papers, etc. It's going to be quite a few years, I think, before Thunberg's audience is in a position to make a change.

I fear that might be true. They could do it instantly by drastically cutting their carbon emissions while waiting for the politicians to act, but somehow that appears to be a little too much to ask.

Which makes Thunberg's commitment to not flying rather weird. If individual actions are unimportant then why bother, just jump on a plane squirt out a bunch of carbon and be done with it. I mean it seemed to work for those Google Camp on Climate Crisis attendees.
 
No panic I can see. But a portion of that number of kids won't remember next week and others won't vote like you think. Hopefully = most - do stay on it and try to make smarter decisions and vote where it helps.

Where I am the eco friendly party is small and when the chips are down don't always do the greenest choices. So voting is rather shooting craps.

The real difference is in life choices. No need to wait to start the fix there. Lots of small things anyone over 8 could do.

How do individuals stop coal fired power stations? Yes I suppose millions could spend a small fortune to go off the grid, but voting can work. Germany closed their coal mines and nuclear power plants. It is possible.

And I’m certain you will see a resurgence of green parties as the indolence and hypocrisy of conservative parties become increasingly clear.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom