• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shall apply to it the weight I believes it deserves. But even if you're right (which you're not)don't you think it's a sad state of affairs that the civilised world is in literal peril and the only way anyone can garner any attention is by, as you see it, parents using children.

No I think it is sad they are doing it when the message is already being sent

A good schooling is ******* pointless if the civilised world doesn't exist anymore to put it to use. The sensible courses of action are either fighting climate change or learning subsistence farming.

Are your seriously suggesting the civilised world won't exist in a few years because of climate change?



I think a lot of things probably are.

As usual. Turn to personal attack. Well done.

Well, we call those people '******* idiots' and ignore them. They'd react the same ignorant, selfish, uneducated, idiotic way to anyone presenting them with facts that they don't like.

Anyone who after 50 years of this, is still in denial should probably be sterilised for the good of the planet.

I mostly agree re man made climate change as you so get over yourself
 
When is it never a problem with the audience?

The audience doesn't want to give up it's SUVs and plastic grocery bags..

Plastic bags are a weird one.

They were banned here a few months ago and somehow litter and death to sea animals is climate change.
 
Ah, so you accept the reality of AGW, I presume?

Brian Cox accepts AGW, and that's the scientist cullenz listens to - because he's the most brainiest -, so I would presume so as well.

Then again, cullenz disagrees that it's a crisis, so maybe not. It's all so confusing.

How about we not care what cullenz thinks about this whole thing? I think that might help steer the conversation to a more productive place.
 
Last edited:
No I think it is sad they are doing it when the message is already being sent


Ah, you think the fight against global warming is going well? This is where we part ways. I think it's a cluster-****.



Are your seriously suggesting the civilised world won't exist in a few years because of climate change?

In it's current form, yes. If you don't think this is a possibility you haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation. Which is kind of the whole point.

You think it's not a big deal and what's happening at the moment is fine and anyway, it's not going to be that bad. I think you have no clue of which you speak.


As usual. Turn to personal attack. Well done.

No, a statement of fact. You think the fight against global warming is going well, as you state above. It's clearly beyond you to appreciate the actual dangers. Not an insult, just a fact.


I mostly agree re man made climate change as you so get over yourself

You do? But you think, if we continue our current course, everything will be dandy? This is where we part ways, this is what is beyond you.
 
Brian Cox accepts AGW, and that's the scientist cullenz listens to - because he's the most brainiest -, so I would presume so as well.

Then again, cullenz disagrees that it's a crisis, so maybe not. It's all so confusing.

How about we not care what cullenz thinks about this whole thing? I think that might help steer the conversation to a more productive place.

One of

Darat kept hassling me to give a scientists name of which I listen to. I gave two of them.

For what it is worth I do believe that not believing in AGW would be pretty blimmin dim

I just question the level of what is natural compared to man.

And I certainly question the CRISIS!!!!!
 
And I certainly question the CRISIS!!!!!


That's why it's all weird to you. I admit that, if you didn't think there was an actual climate crisis going on right now, what with the AGW and the plastics and the fact that we're in the middle of a mass extinction event, if you didn't believe all of that then the whole circus would I admit, look very odd.
 
Ah, you think the fight against global warming is going well? This is where we part ways. I think it's a cluster-****.

As well as I figured


In it's current form, yes. If you don't think this is a possibility you haven't grasped the seriousness of the situation. Which is kind of the whole point.

You think it's not a big deal and what's happening at the moment is fine and anyway, it's not going to be that bad. I think you have no clue of which you speak.

What current seriousness of the situation would stop civilised nations?

No, a statement of fact. You think the fight against global warming is going well, as you state above. It's clearly beyond you to appreciate the actual dangers. Not an insult, just a fact.

Um where?
You do? But you think, if we continue our current course, everything will be dandy? This is where we part ways, this is what is beyond you

Never said this

Now one actual question to answer.

Your answer to your CRISIS!!!!

What is it?
 
That's why it's all weird to you. I admit that, if you didn't think there was an actual climate crisis going on right now, what with the AGW and the plastics and the fact that we're in the middle of a mass extinction event, if you didn't believe all of that then the whole circus would I admit, look very odd.

What do plastic bags have to do with a climate change CRISIS!!!!
 
Sorry righties, people are finally listening when it comes to climate change. Your campaign of disinfo is failing.

People have been listening for decades they just haven't been doing anything meaningful about it. It's "the people" who've been out there burning all these fossil fuels and spewing all of this carbon into the air and doing it willingly in spite of all that listening.

That green party sticker on the back of your Prius, it did squat. Those letters and emails you sent to politicians, worthless. Those signs you waved at the protest, ineffectual.

Those decades of "activism" have amounted to a hill of beans. All those celebrities and concerts and events against climate change yet the problem keeps getting worse and you know as well as I know, we're going to be having this same discussion 11 years from now.

So worship the ground that Thunberg walks on, if it makes you feel better and who knows, maybe she'll convince some people to tear up their drivers licences, refust to fly, get themselves on the 100 mile diet but unless she can convince a lot of people ( and I mean a lot ) to make these changes to their lifestyle then she's really nothing more than theater.
 
Ah, you think the fight against global warming is going well? This is where we part ways. I think it's a cluster-****.


It's a cluster-**** mainly because it isn't a fight. It is a petition to politicians who are paid by industry to ignore those petitions, i.e. Western civilization, democracy.
 
Plastic bags are a weird one.

They were banned here a few months ago and somehow litter and death to sea animals is climate change.

What do plastic bags have to do with a climate change CRISIS!!!!


What's the point of pretending that there's only one kind of pollution? Why don't you bring up the ozone layer as well?
 
Last edited:
And I certainly question the CRISIS!!!!!

Coastal cities don't have to actually be flooded and uninhabitable for the crisis to have arrived. The crisis can occur at the point where it's necessary to take urgent action now to avoid the flooding in the future.

(for example)
 
This thread is a wonderful example of the way someone who doesn't totally accept one point of a particular discussion and is then assumed to be arguing for the totally opposite side. If it's accidental, please try not to do it. If it's deliberate, stop it. Ta.
 
That right wingers are getting upset not only about her message but also by her “annoying” voice and her (imaginary) abuse by parents, you know she is hitting a raw nerve. That a young, “foreign” girl is delivering her message to millions must be galling to them. There is no other explanation for the mouth frothing seen in this thread.


And that's precisely it. The right is really exposing themselves for who they really are right now. All of their self-induced, willing blindness to the world around them. All of their near-total lack of empathy. All of their petty, spiteful viciousness. All of their self-centered, self-important, utter and total lack of human decency.

They're outing themselves as pathetic, spoiled, immature, emotionally-stunted children. Throwing temper tantrums because someone is trying to tell them they can't have their own way with everything all the time. Unfortunately, they're pathetic, spoiled, immature, emotionally-stunted children with a lot of money, so they get to throw their tantrums, and the rest of us have to clean up the messes they make.
 
This thread is a wonderful example of the way someone who doesn't totally accept one point of a particular discussion and is then assumed to be arguing for the totally opposite side. If it's accidental, please try not to do it. If it's deliberate, stop it. Ta.

It's rather that many of us have long experience with climate denial, and denying a thing so obvious as the urgency of the climate emergency is a staple example of climate denial.
 
....maybe she'll convince some people to tear up their drivers licences, refust to fly, get themselves on the 100 mile diet but unless she can convince a lot of people ( and I mean a lot ) to make these changes to their lifestyle then she's really nothing more than theater.

Or convince people to make the piddling effort to get solar panels on the roof of their houses - we looking into that, it is no cost to us. Or convince people to keep the SUV at home and use the little plug-in hybrid to commute. Convince people to pressure their electrical suppliers to accelerate plans to phase out coal and replace it with renewables. Convince people to push their politicians on the issue.

To me at least, her campaign is not about converting people to the belief that climate change is real and is bad. It is not about changing minds. Disbelief in human-caused climate change or on the severity of the threat is a pseudo-religious belief, facts and reality will not change minds on that. She probably knows that as well as any of us.

What her campaign does, what she's good at, if motivating people who already have a good understanding of the issue. Much of that motivation is among the younger set (teens and young adults), who in turn whine and nag and push their parents to be better on the issue. And anyone who has ever raised idealistic teenagers knows that they can have a pretty strong impact on the beliefs and actions of their parents.
 
And that's precisely it. The right is really exposing themselves for who they really are right now. All of their self-induced, willing blindness to the world around them. All of their near-total lack of empathy. All of their petty, spiteful viciousness. All of their self-centered, self-important, utter and total lack of human decency.

They're outing themselves as pathetic, spoiled, immature, emotionally-stunted children. Throwing temper tantrums because someone is trying to tell them they can't have their own way with everything all the time. Unfortunately, they're pathetic, spoiled, immature, emotionally-stunted children with a lot of money, so they get to throw their tantrums, and the rest of us have to clean up the messes they make.

Where's that little applause image thingy?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom