• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't actually make any sense. Yes, she's still a kid. That's not disrespectful, that's normal. Yes, kids can be "engaged" in political and social issues. But why does "engagement" qualify anyone to speak at the UN? Why does "engagement" get you on international news?
Because she struck a chord and millions of people are listening to her. If the climate warming wasn't worsening and if the science wasn't overwhelming, she wouldn't have struck that chord.

She's a prop. The people pushing her into the limelight are doing so for their own reasons, not hers. And the fact that she's just a kid is not only not an impediment from their perspective, it's the entire point. And it's unhealthy.
:dl:

I think that sums it up.
 
You concluded she wants other people to change the world for her. As if a lone teenager could do it on her own.

You're pulling this "on her own" thing out of nowhere. But that's not how it works. Nobody changes the world "on their own", and I'm not saying she has to. But people can change a small part of the world. They do that all the time. She isn't, though.

Advocacy.

As if her publicity is really the result of just her actions, and not her handlers. Yeah, no, that's not what's going on. She's more akin to a child actor than a prodigy. And those kids, well, things frequently don't turn out well for them in the long run. Thunberg is at risk for the same dysfunctions.

At what age do you think it's appropriate to launch an effort to change public opinion?

Eighteen? 21? 47?

What do you base this on?

That's the wrong question. The right question is, who do we pick to pay attention to? A 16 year old with zero accomplishments but some good PR handlers? No. That's not who we should pay attention to. Another right question is, should her parents sacrifice her education for her advocacy? And the answer there, again, is no. They should not. Let her do it on the side, but keep her in school.
 
Because she struck a chord and millions of people are listening to her. If the climate warming wasn't worsening and if the science wasn't overwhelming, she wouldn't have struck that chord.

She struck a chord because she's a kid, and the left has a weird fascination with children's opinions. If it was really about the science and the severity, they wouldn't need a kid to carry the message. And frankly, there's no reason to believe she's actually changed anyone's opinions about anything. Everybody I've seen touting her already believed what she's saying before she opened her mouth.
 
That's the wrong question. The right question is, who do we pick to pay attention to? A 16 year old with zero accomplishments but some good PR handlers? No. That's not who we should pay attention to. Another right question is, should her parents sacrifice her education for her advocacy? And the answer there, again, is no. They should not. Let her do it on the side, but keep her in school.
You don't know any better than I do what's really going on with her, including how appropriate it is (or not) to spend her time in high school vs. traveling around the globe talking to world leaders. If you have evidence, produce it. Otherwise your post is pure speculation. Maybe mine is, too; but unlike you I don't find it strange at all that a teenager would have strong convictions of her own. You are just as attached to your little bubble of reality as I am to mine. Only you would never entertain that possibility.
 
Sorry righties, people are finally listening when it comes to climate change. Your campaign of disinfo is failing.
 
Sorry righties, people are finally listening when it comes to climate change. Your campaign of disinfo is failing.

That right wingers are getting upset not only about her message but also by her “annoying” voice and her (imaginary) abuse by parents, you know she is hitting a raw nerve. That a young, “foreign” girl is delivering her message to millions must be galling to them. There is no other explanation for the mouth frothing seen in this thread.
 
97% of the worlds scientists conspire to create an imaginary enviromental crisis, only to be exposed by a plucky band of billionaires, senators and oil companies!

Shamelessy stolen from elsewhere.
 
She struck a chord because she's a kid, and the left has a weird fascination with children's opinions. If it was really about the science and the severity, they wouldn't need a kid to carry the message. And frankly, there's no reason to believe she's actually changed anyone's opinions about anything. Everybody I've seen touting her already believed what she's saying before she opened her mouth.

Its true there is a degree of preaching to the converted, but we have the following from the scientists:
Indeed, some of the scientists involved in the report believe that public pressure on politicians is a crucial part of increasing ambition.

"After the demonstrations of young people last week, I think they are the best chance for us,," said Dr Jean-Pierre Gattuso.

"They are dynamic, they are active I am hopeful they will continue their actions and they will make society change."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49817804

Lets not forget, she is the only one involved, there have been a great deal of engagement through all of this from school kids. She has just been able to articulate it for the many.
 
That right wingers are getting upset not only about her message but also by her “annoying” voice and her (imaginary) abuse by parents, you know she is hitting a raw nerve. That a young, “foreign” girl is delivering her message to millions must be galling to them. There is no other explanation for the mouth frothing seen in this thread.

I said her speech made her come across as irritating to me.

I didn't say anything about her voice.

I couldn't give a rats she is "foreign"

And the only bit of her message I disagree with is the CRISIS!!!!!!!! bit

But you know this yet still ignore it and insist on posters saying things they haven't

That is fine. Why do you insist she is a goddess child, who is the most intelligent person in the world?

There is no other explanation for the devotion and deifying from you I have seen in this thread.
 
Last edited:
Sorry righties, people are finally listening when it comes to climate change. Your campaign of disinfo is failing.

Did you want to post some proof she is actually converting mass man made climate disbelievers from her preaching?
 
Can I just check that this thread continues to be grow adults being all offended because the little girl wasn't as deferential as they'd want and that she has parents

Can I further check that not a one of these grown adults all scared of a teenage girl has addressed her points on global warming?
 
To some extent that can be excused by the title of this thread: Is she a brave campaigner or is she deeply disturbed?
A better title, in my opinion, would have been:
Greta Thunberg - What does she campaign for? And why are some people so disturbed by that?
 
Can I just check that this thread continues to be grow adults being all offended because the little girl wasn't as deferential as they'd want and that she has parents

Can I further check that not a one of these grown adults all scared of a teenage girl has addressed her points on global warming?

Seems to be more a case of parents using their kid as a tool to be fair.

Just my opinion though.

Hey

If her parents idea of a good upbringing for their child is let them leave school and exposing them obvious inevitable ridicule, is their idea of good parenting then so be it.

How they didn't see the kick back is beyond me.

What did the they think people who don't agree with man made climate change were going to do?
 
I said her speech made her come across as irritating to me.

I didn't say anything about her voice.

I couldn't give a rats she is "foreign"

And the only bit of her message I disagree with is the CRISIS!!!!!!!! bit

But you know this yet still ignore it and insist on posters saying things they haven't

That is fine. Why do you insist she is a goddess child, who is the most intelligent person in the world?

There is no other explanation for the devotion and deifying from you I have seen in this thread.

Why are you so upset about Greta? Why don’t you just ignore her and her inconvenient message? Why are climate deniers such haters?
 
Why are you so upset about Greta? Why don’t you just ignore her and her inconvenient message? Why are climate deniers such haters?

I'm not

But out of interest

Why are you so upset about any criticisim of Greta? Why don’t you just ignore people who question the handlers of her? Why are people that label other posters with no proof, climate deniers such haters?
 
Seems to be more a case of parents using their kid as a tool to be fair.

Just my opinion though.

I shall apply to it the weight I believes it deserves. But even if you're right (which you're not)don't you think it's a sad state of affairs that the civilised world is in literal peril and the only way anyone can garner any attention is by, as you see it, parents using children.


Hey

If her parents idea of a good upbringing for their child is let them leave school and exposing them obvious inevitable ridicule, is their idea of good parenting then so be it.

A good schooling is ******* pointless if the civilised world doesn't exist anymore to put it to use. The sensible courses of action are either fighting climate change or learning subsistence farming.




How they didn't see the kick back is beyond me.

I think a lot of things probably are.


What did the they think people who don't agree with man made climate change were going to do?

Well, we call those people '******* idiots' and ignore them. They'd react the same ignorant, selfish, uneducated, idiotic way to anyone presenting them with facts that they don't like.

Anyone who after 50 years of this, is still in denial should probably be sterilised for the good of the planet.
 
Last edited:
I'm not

But out of interest

Why are you so upset about any criticisim of Greta? Why don’t you just ignore people who question the handlers of her? Why are people that label other posters with no proof, climate deniers such haters?


Ah, so you accept the reality of AGW, I presume?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom